I'm wondering is it worth spending the money on an interface like the sound blaster x-fi instead of just plugging into my laptop through my mic jack (mic'ing my amp)?

I've read loads about these interfaces but can someone just give me the low down on what they are about and why they are better than just plugging into a normal soundcard?

Also what is the business with low latency? Does that just mean the delay between when you play and when it is recorded?

Cheers
and interface will give you loads better quality, even something as simple as a toneport GX will sound a million times better than going into the mic jack.
interfaces were made to record
sound cards were made to play audio for games and such...not for recording.

interfaces have nearly no latency which is very improtant when layering tracks.
Stock cards will give high latency causing nothing but problems.

Go with an interface, youll be very happy you did.
Just stick with USB 2.0 or Firewire. USB 1.1 is just very slow and USB overall cannot send a lot of info at one time so generally the smaller interfaces with one or two inputs will use USB. Once you go past 2 inputs, firewire is a must to transfer all that data.

Also what is the business with low latency? Does that just mean the delay between when you play and when it is recorded?

Correct.

The Toneports and M-Audio Fast Track USB are fair units but the vista drivers for all the toneports are nothing close to good at this time.

Me and a few others here tried a Toneport and got the blue screen of death with vista...I ended up selling that UX1 on ebay after just two weeks of try to get it to work on my DAW.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 23, 2008,