Hey there my friends!

I will give my first lesson to a student in about a week and I'm trying to come up with what to teach him.

I will have one hour to spend and I'm thinking of mixing playing songs/technique with theory. Mix it so he will understand what we are doing, maybe spend 30 min to theory and 30 to playing in the beggining to get him started. But now I neew your help....

What should I go on with first? I'm thinkin about just giving some introduction to how you biuld music and my own thoughts so to say but then I also have the more practical part to cover. So tell me what you think!

Thanks!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Is the student just starting out? If so, teach him some basic notes, getting a book wouldn't be a bad idea either.
It depends on the guy's knowledge. If he doesn't know any theory, I would probably start with teaching how to read music and tabs, but that's just me. Make sure to show him some exciting things too, don't let him become bored.
Guitars:
- Epiphone LP goth
- Baltiomre Acoustic
- Baltimore Bass guitar

AMPs:
- Line6 Spider III 30W (For sale!)
- Johnson 15W
- Johnson 15W (bass)

Effects:
- Zoom G2.1U
- Digitech Hot Head
yes, he is new to it and a basic blues/rock book will be a help for me, it start out with a basic pentatonic thing I think....
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
Quote by backtothe70s
yes, he is new to it and a basic blues/rock book will be a help for me, it start out with a basic pentatonic thing I think....

Okay then, that's a good start. I'd also ask him at the end of the lesson if there's any song that he particularly wants to learn, then you could work on it a little bit at the end of every lesson, just to make sure he doesn't get bored.
how about you just start out with playing songs, and teaching the basics. Theory can get confusing to someone with no idea how to even play. Or simply you could ask what he would like to do.
Make the songs that he likes the focus of the lesson, then try to explain the theory within the song.

Don't go '50 mins theory, 10 mins on song' because that'll be ****ing boring. As someone who has changed guitar teachers a few times, you're better off pandering to the kid and teach him what he wants to play so he's addicted to the guitar first. Then, you can start teaching him theory when he can learn his songs in his own time.
Quote by XVentura
Make the songs that he likes the focus of the lesson, then try to explain the theory within the song.

Don't go '50 mins theory, 10 mins on song' because that'll be ****ing boring. As someone who has changed guitar teachers a few times, you're better off pandering to the kid and teach him what he wants to play so he's addicted to the guitar first. Then, you can start teaching him theory when he can learn his songs in his own time.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I had a teacher who was "50 minutes song, 10 min. theory" and I learned basically nothing. Now that I've got a teacher who's pretty much all theory, some sightreading, I've improved exponentially.
get him to show you what he can do first ask him what he d like to do but cant and teach him that scales and more chords
Thank you so much for all your advice!

Tell me more^^
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
Quote by Scott03
how about you just start out with playing songs, and teaching the basics. Theory can get confusing to someone with no idea how to even play. Or simply you could ask what he would like to do.

Yeah, A while ago, I started describing how a riff was harmonized to my dad (He doesn't play, but I had just learned the theory and was excited) and he just said he was completely lost and confused. Even when I explained it in frets, pointing to the guitar he couldn't see it, even though I thought I was perfectly understandable.
You could teach him how to read tabs, write down this site for him so he can gets tabs of stuff in his own time to play along to. Show him how to play notes, how to tune maybe the next lesson? Good luck with it, it's probably really hard to teach a complete beginner i'm sure.
Thank you, I'll probably return for more advice sometime
Schecter C1 Classic
Wampler Ego Compressor
Ya man you'll do fine! when i was starting with lessons i just wanted to play first, theory came last, and was often bored learning it. So get your student learning the basics some chords, reading tabs and just make sure hes haven fun!