Page 1 of 2
I've had a 6505 + head for abour 3-4 months now, and being that it's my first tube amp, i don't know alot about care for it....

When I turn it on, I always flip to standby and let it warm up for a minute or two, but i'm told i'm not supposed to to just turn it off when I'm done playing....

Can someone please clarify what I should do......

Also any other tips and such would be helpful....
Thanks UGers

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
turn power on, keep standby off for about a min
then turn standby on when your going to play
then turn standby off when your done
Just like you let your tubes warm up on standby before playing, let them on standby before turning off so they can cool down.
Quote by Ghold125
turn power on, keep standby off for about a min
then turn standby on when your going to play
then turn standby off when your done

Why would you turn power on before standby?
For example, Standby on a computer monitor is when the light is flashing orange and the computer is off. You turn the computer on, the light turns green, and the monitor cuts in the power to the big tube to start the picture. Then you turn off your computer and go back to standby.
cool thats what I thought....I appreciate the help

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
let them on standby before turning off so they can cool down.

They'll cool down when you turn the amp off. You could rip the power chord out of the wall when you're done, and the tubes are still going to cool down.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Ok, so this isn't a computer monitor, despite what some may think. Turn the power on, leave standby to the off position. This is like letting your car warm up on a cold day. Then flip on standby when your ready to play. When you're done, flip standby off, and pack up the rest of your gear. By the time that's all done, you amp will be cool enough to turn off completely.

Hope this helps!
Oh, and you wanna let your amp cool down, without "ripping the cord from the wall", so that the tubes can cool gradually to a comfortable temperature.
Quote by Hinro
Ok, so this isn't a computer monitor, despite what some may think. Turn the power on, leave standby to the off position. This is like letting your car warm up on a cold day. Then flip on standby when your ready to play. When you're done, flip standby off, and pack up the rest of your gear. By the time that's all done, you amp will be cool enough to turn off completely.

Hope this helps!

What if you are not going to be playing the amp for say an hour?
What is "Standby" for?
It was originally a way to cut down some of the wear and tear on the tubes that would otherwise be wearing out while they stood idle. Frequently you'll want to leave an amplifier on but not making any noise, like during a break between sets. The standby switch ensured that the amp would be quiet, and at the same time that the main power supply was disengaged from at least the power output section of the amplifier. This makes tubes last longer.
How should I turn it on and off?
Turn the standby switch on (that is, to the standby position), then turn the power switch on. Wait about 30 seconds and then flip the standby switch to "play". This ensures that the heaters in the tubes are all warmed up and that the startup stresses are as low as possible.
To turn it off, don't mess with the standby, just turn the power switch off. That cuts both the main power supply and the heater power, so it all simply stops and cools off. The hot tube filaments let the tubes continue sucking current out of the power supply filter caps so the caps are mostly drained of dangerous voltages.

I found this on:
www.geofex.com/tubeampfaq/beginner_tube_amps.htm

Standy-by is called that because the amp is standing-by for the power to kick in...
You'd wanna wait until about 10-15 before you play. Some would say leave it on for the whole hour, but it's usually a bit excessive.
Quote by Gutch220
it doesn't matter how you turn it off.

+1, it's not going to cool them gradually, it still has the heater filaments active in standby. It's just going to discharge the caps quicker afaik, which shouldn't affect them.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I don't know why people are saying "stand by off first, then standby on when you want to play" if the amp is in standby it isn't making sound. When the standby is OFF that is when it allows the sound through, because it isn't standing by is it.
Personally when turning it off I just knock it straight off, never heard of any damage being done that way but who knows, maybe your tubes will last a day longer or something silly like that by doing it in some fancy way.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
How to people think that a process used to warm your amp up first is going to cool it down just because you hit the switches in a different order?

Dont be silly. The purpose of standby is so you can let the valves warm up before you apply the signal, and so you can switch guitar and leave it hot while your at gigs and things.

Just flcik it straight off.
I'm confused by the different posts

how long are you supposed to let a blues junior warm up? there's no standby switch and I'm not sure how long i should wait before playing
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
I don't know why people are saying "stand by off first, then standby on when you want to play" if the amp is in standby it isn't making sound. When the standby is OFF that is when it allows the sound through, because it isn't standing by is it.
Personally when turning it off I just knock it straight off, never heard of any damage being done that way but who knows, maybe your tubes will last a day longer or something silly like that by doing it in some fancy way.

On my peavey classic 50, you don't get a sound when the stand by is off... i don't get it
Last edited by angeldef at Feb 23, 2008,
well i can't help other people's confusion, but i get the jist now....power, standby....let it warm up, then just cut the thing off when I'm done. thanks everybody.

lol that's what I've been doing all along anyway.....

Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Carvin 6 space rack
Quote by Hinro
Oh, and you wanna let your amp cool down, without "ripping the cord from the wall", so that the tubes can cool gradually to a comfortable temperature.

The tubes aren't going to go from red hot to ice cold unless you throw your amp in a lake.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
There's no reason to have it on standby when switching off. If you want to be picky about it, it's even worse to leave it on standby when switching off, because the valves are active longer, but of course this will never be noticeable in real life.

Quote by strat335
I'm confused by the different posts

how long are you supposed to let a blues junior warm up? there's no standby switch and I'm not sure how long i should wait before playing

A minute or a couple is enough.

Set the amp in standby, take out guitar and pedals, connect everything, check tuning, and the amp will probably be ready. Do a finger exercise if you're quick with the previous steps.
I've been told before to throw it in standby when turning it off to keep the caps charged. I don't know if this would really be helpful or not, so I usually just end up draining the caps while shutting down.

Anyways, like it was said, in standby the filaments are still heating the tube. Think about it, if you use standby to warm the tubes up, its not going to magically want to cool the tubes down to room temperature when you are done.
i dont know why this pisses me off so much, i guess i just get tired of answering this question all the time. and no one else ever knows the answer.
it doesnt matter how you turn it off, jsut turn it off. the standby only matters when your turing it on.
Quote by Axecutioner
I've been told before to throw it in standby when turning it off to keep the caps charged. I don't know if this would really be helpful or not, so I usually just end up draining the caps while shutting down.

The charge on the caps is not going to be affected by the way you switch it off. Either way, it's more desirable to drain the caps than to keep them charged.

Quote by Hinro
You'd wanna wait until about 10-15 before you play.

I'll assume you mean minutes. That's about as long as it takes for the tubes to fully warm up; but there really no reason why you should want to do that. As long as you let the tubes warm up a decent amount (+/-1 min), you're good.
Last edited by mr_hankey at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by Hinro

Hope this helps!

One of the more intelligent posts here. Guys, look... If you don't know then don't bother posting because all anyones said is jibberish.

You just had words messed up a bit.

Make sure standby is on, not off before turning the power on. Standby allows it to warm up etc. You just had that backwards, after about a minute or so, turn standby off so you can now play your guitar. When your down, turn standby back on, pack up your stuff and then turn the power off.
Quote by SurfinWithSatch

This is why people get confused because this is true or false depending on what company your amp is. For Marshall's and Vox's you turn the power ON then the Standby ON. For some companies they just call it Standby OFF, but your doing the same thing. That's why I like to use the "engage". First engage the power then engage the standby.
you dont have to leave the standby switch engaged when you are done playing. Just shut the amp off. They are going to cool down the same either way. Wait a minute or two before playing though.
and by the way it doesn't matter what technically is on and off on the standby switch.... We all have common sense here. if you got standby on its in standby if you got it off then its not in standby. Rather the amp says whatever no reason to be confused over that.
Quote by AthenasGhost
One of the more intelligent posts here. Guys, look... If you don't know then don't bother posting because all anyones said is jibberish.

You just had words messed up a bit.

Make sure standby is on, not off before turning the power on. Standby allows it to warm up etc. You just had that backwards, after about a minute or so, turn standby off so you can now play your guitar. When your down, turn standby back on, pack up your stuff and then turn the power off.

maybe you should heed your own advice. Almost every manual for a tube amp with standby, goes through how to turn on the amp using standby. I have yet to see one manual talk about any procedure to turn it off.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
plug everything in>power switch>a minute or 2 to warm up> standby switch>play>power and standby switch (doesn't matter which order just as long as the switches are in the right place for the next time you use the amp)>unplug.

as basic as I can make it.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
plug everything in>power switch>a minute or 2 to warm up> standby switch>play>power and standby switch (doesn't matter which order just as long as the switches are in the right place for the next time you use the amp)>unplug.

as basic as I can make it.

thats perfect. well done.

/thread
Valves are quite fragile when hot, so it would be ideal to let them cool off before moving the amp.
holy **** this thread is full of such ****ing idiots.

YOU GUYS ARE TOO ****ING PARANOID ABOUT TUBES!
tubes were used in everything back in the day. tv's, radios, you name it. so, why all of a sudden is everyone so paranoid about them?

1. after about 30seconds to a minute in standby your tubes are "warm". they can now take the full voltage needed to operate, any more time is useless. standby is there so the tubes dont get full voltage while cold.

2. turning it off. flip so it looked like it was while warming up. wait ONE second. turn it off. Now, there is nothing going to the tubes. the caps are still charged. UNPLUGGING IT FROM THE WALL WON'T MAKE IT COOL DOWN QUICKER!!!!

3. if your amp doesn't have standby, turn it on. wait till you hear sound. if you want to be careful, don't crank it until after its been on for a minute.

god, the ****ing things people think about tubes. THERE ARE NOT AS FRAGILE AS YOU THINK

onto someone who said it will discharge caps quicker in standby, thats bull****. at least know something before you post. if your amp has bleeder resistors, it will discharge them slowly when the amp is off. if not, your caps will stay charged. end of story
First plug in all your gear then turn on the power switch, but you don't really need to plug in your gear first, after you turn the power on and have or have not plugged in your gear then be sure to turn on, or off, your standby switch. Sometimes it's on. Sometimes it's off, depending on the company. After you've determined what's on and what's off be sure to double check the power switch and plug in your gear if you haven't already done so. If your amp has been warming up on/off standby it is now time to engage your amp for playing by turning your standby switch on/off. But don't turn on your standby switch too soon after the power switch because the tubes might crack. After powering up the amp with the power switch wait one or two or four minutes to flip the standby switch. Not three minutes! At this point you might want to check the connections around back not once, not twice, but thrice. Your amp should be fully playable by now so plug in your guitar and play something. If you don't hear anything be sure to check the amp and guitar volumes as well as your connections, power switch, and standby switch. If there is still no sound, reverse this enitre process and start over skipping steps 2, 4, and 5. If you do hear some guitar noise, then you are ready to go with the exception any gear/effects you may/may not want to incorperate into your rig. If you have an acoustic guitar you are screwed. While playing remember not to accidentally turn off your power switch or standby switch. To turn off your amp just choose either your power switch OR standby switch and turn it off/on (depending on the company). Wait exactly 34 seconds and press the other switch that you haven't previously switched. By this time both switches are switched and your amp is now unplayable. Now it is time to wait for your amp to cool. The best thing to do hear is walk around and talk to friends and perhaps get a drink at the bar if the venue has alcohol. The key here is to distract yourself as much as possible so that would-be thieves have a great opportunity to steel your gear when you aren't paying attention. If you make it back to your amp without it being stolen then you are now ready to bring it outside. If it is cold outside and your tubes are still slightly warm, be sure to dump a bag of ice into the back of your amp to get the tubes ready for the intense cold they are about to experience. If it is night time and dark outside you might want to leave your amp/tubes on to light your way home. This can be accomplished by purchasing a portable generator (preferrably with wheels). The most important thing you can do is never touch your tubes because oils on your hands are left on the tubes which attract glass-eating bacteria which destroy tubes. So never touch your tubes with bare hands, if fact never even look at your tubes. It has been suspected that looking at tubes can be detrimental over long periods of times. It is also a good idea to gently rub exotic oils from the orient on the surface of your amplifier to keep it's tolex smooth and supple like it were 16 years old again. Surely if you follow these steps you and your amplifier will have a long and happy life together with no power switch or standby issues of on of offness of any kind.
+1 exactly how it should be done.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Hinro
You'd wanna wait until about 10-15 before you play. Some would say leave it on for the whole hour, but it's usually a bit excessive.

What??? Have you ever used a tube amp???
/fail
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by s.r.v.

onto someone who said it will discharge caps quicker in standby, thats bull****. at least know something before you post. if your amp has bleeder resistors, it will discharge them slowly when the amp is off. if not, your caps will stay charged. end of story

I didn't say it, I quoted it from a website about building guitar pedals and amps.
So I didn't know what I was talking about, but I took it from someone who did.
Quote by -Collapse-
Why would you turn power on before standby?
For example, Standby on a computer monitor is when the light is flashing orange and the computer is off. You turn the computer on, the light turns green, and the monitor cuts in the power to the big tube to start the picture. Then you turn off your computer and go back to standby.

It's actually the other way around. The power switch on the monitor would be the power on for the amp.

See, the MONITOR (not the pc) power is ON, but it's in STANDBY mode.

Once you turn on your pc, it starts doing what it's supposed to. That's when it's off standby.

You don't have to put it in standby before turning it off, but I do for a few reasons:

1. It eliminates any pops or loudsounds when you shut it off
2. It ensure you turn it on in standby mode next time.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I always leave standby in the disengaged position and just turn the power off and on. Standby on tube amps are traditional, but pretty much pointless.

People attach too much BS and voodoo to tubes. I've been practicing "bad" standby switch practices for the better part of a decade and my last set of tubes lasted about 7 years.
Hi, I'm Peter
Won't the owner's manuals for each amp give instructions on the proper way to power on/off?
Fender Special Edition Custom Telecaster FMT HH

SBN Lil' Eagle
Boss MT-2

Peavey Windsor Studio
Quote by Dirk Gently
I always leave standby in the disengaged position and just turn the power off and on. Standby on tube amps are traditional, but pretty much pointless.

People attach too much BS and voodoo to tubes. I've been practicing "bad" standby switch practices for the better part of a decade and my last set of tubes lasted about 7 years.

True, sometimes it doesn't do anything, like the lower wattage amps without standby switches. However, I did have an unfortunate accident with an Ampeg bass head by failing to use the standby....
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Page 1 of 2