Well I really love the sound of diminished and augmented chords but they are hard to use when I actually make music because the major scale includes only 1 diminished chord and no augmented chords. Does anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate them into my playing?
Augmented chords sound good as the "V" in a given key. For example, in the key of C:

I - C
ii - Dm
iii - Em
IV - F
V - G
vi - Am
viio - Bdim

They sound good in a V --> I progression. For example:

Dm Gaug C

That's ii, V, I. Using a Gaug as opposed to a regular G major chord (or G7) should have a cool sound to it. Augmented chords always sound best when they resolve to the root chord (I) of the key. That's where they 'want' to resolve.

As for diminshed, I like the sound of this in the key of C:

C Ebdim Dm G C

Try using a Gaug in that progression if you want to incorporate both aug and dim..
Last edited by dontpoll at Feb 23, 2008,
Try playing a viio when you would normally play a V or V7. Augmented chords are more common in harmonic and melodic minor.
You can most certainly borrow chords from other keys when constructing progressions. Dominant chords in particular can be replaced with just about anything, and it's not at all uncommon to replace them with augmented chords.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by SOAD_freak777
so basically you use an augmented chord in place of the V chord in the major scale.

That's one possible way of using it, if you like the sound it creates.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by SOAD_freak777
so basically you use an augmented chord in place of the V chord in the major scale.

As Archeo mentioned, yes, that's one way of doing it. But don't limit yourself by saying "basically you do this here" and making it too formulaic. Experiment with augmented substitutions in progressions and see what you like.