Howdy y'all,
I'm living in Cork in Ireland and am wondering what the best electric guitar option for me is.
I've been playing the acoustic guitar for about two years and am at an alrightish level of skill with it.
Musicwise, I'm interested in rock-type things, but not uber-heavy metal stuff. Favourite band's Muse, but I have no illusions about being able to play as amazingly as Matt Bellamy. Other musical influences would be The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Blink 182, Franz Ferdinand, Green Day, The Hives and The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'm not actually looking for someone to decide which guitar is right for me, but I'd appreciate some advice as I don't know anything about electric guitars and felt a bit swamped by all the indepth articles about pickups and tremolo bars.

Any information I get on this will be a help, so please help out.

Merci buckets.
For those types of music i'd have to say a fender strat or telecaster...but a les paul is never a bad idea,well,usually never a bad idea
Best thing to do is make sure you have a decent amp first. Order a Blackheart little giant from Sound Control or Thomann.de It is a superb little amp for the price and will suit your tastes perfectly. Also you will enter the elite cult of VALVE AMP OWNERS so you can become a tone snob straight away! DO NOT GET A MARSHALL MG OR AVT/VALVESTATE, LINE 6 SPIDER, OR BEHRINGER . Regardless of what anyone says, these are the worst amps available today, and it would probably be safe to say that more or less any cheap no name or budget brand solid state amp is worth avoiding like the plague.
As for guitars, what is your budget?

A Telecaster or a Strat would suit you, due to there being so many varieties. Best suited to you would be the 72 Tele Custom with dual humbuckers. It looks a bit like Matt Bellamys Manson but also has the accolade of being the guitar of choice for Franz Ferdinand's Alex Kapranos. If it is too pricy, then Squier (Fenders budget brand) offer a similar model at a far cheaper price but it is also a nice guitar.

With regards to Squier, I personally think they are pretty good guitars - I own one! The affinity series Tele is miles better than most affinity Strats I've played, but although my Tele plays like a dream, I wouldn't recommend anything beneath the Standard series Squiers due to quality issues. The Squier '51 is a hard to find but cheap and has cult like status with some players due to it's extreme versatility, and an apparently excellent quality of guitar.

Hope this helps.
Some form of superstrat?

Nice and light, humbucking pickups for thicker tone for the type of stuff you wanna play, probably a single coil middle position, and it has the strat-esque look.

And yeah, get a Blackheart Little Giant. Don't waste your money on solid-state. If your Blackheart stops working, repairs can be relatively easily diagnosed and fixed, whereas with Solid State, you'd basically have to buy a new amp. Plus Blackhearts are great sounding pieces of kit, and almost anything in that price range is a pile of ****.

A Telecaster or a Strat would suit you, due to there being so many varieties. Best suited to you would be the 72 Tele Custom with dual humbuckers. It looks a bit like Matt Bellamys Manson but also has the accolade of being the guitar of choice for Franz Ferdinand's Alex Kapranos. If it is too pricy, then Squier (Fenders budget brand) offer a similar model at a far cheaper price but it is also a nice guitar.
QUOTE]

What exactly is the difference between a tele and a strat? And what's a superstrat? Sorry if these are really simple questions, but I'm slightly at sea with all the intricacies of guitar-ology.
Telecaster

Stratocaster

Super Strat

It's too late for me to go into more detail, been working all night (TIRED!!!)
Okay, a few more specific questions:

What should I be looking for specification-wise in a guitar?

Is each of the types of guitar mentioned above suited to a specific type of music?