Page 1 of 2
looking to get a mesa type sound outa my dsl 401, with an SG. I was thinking OD but will leave it to you guys to suggest stuff
Best I managed to get outta mine was:

OD2,
Bass: 9 o'clock
Mid: 9 o' clock
Treble: 11 o' clock
Gain: 1 o' clock

Run a patch lead through the effects loop and turn the FX mix all the way up.

If you have an OD, like a Boss SD-1 or something, use that with the volume right up, and just a bit of gain to tighten up the sound
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
yh i love the amp, does everything i want just wana tighten up low end like a mesa kinda sound. Not expecting it to be perfect. And for ODs i was thinking maybe the MXR zw-44 because isnt that designed for tightening up and already distorted amp
Try my settings.

If you want more oopmh, that ZW should work fine, although there are cheaper solutions.

That patch cable trick with the effects loop works wonders though
yh i already do thats, its mind, what about revert? And would you say ZW over maxon 808s, and MI tube zone
For Dream Theater (which is the only time I realy look for a Mesa tone) I usually use my Jackson DK2M.

But otherwsie my main guitar is a Gibson LP Studio.

TBH, I'm no expert on OD pedals. My Boss SD-1 did the trick nicely on a budget, but I'll let someone else recommend you a decent OD.

Set the reverb wherever you want it, I tend to keep mine at around 9 o'clock.
i useusually have mine around 6.5 and the zw-44 is basically a modded sd-1

JUst a thicker sound
btw on that jamming on your profile you sound the like progressive rock band alquin. Obscure
^ I've never heard of them How very odd.
^ I'm hardly ever on MSN, so there wouldn't be much point. Alquin eh? I'll myspace 'em

they wont be on myspace there from the 70s some of their stuff is on youtube, but the on you want is the dance. Anyway those settings work well, with the OD pedal i reckon it will be pretty tight
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Best I managed to get outta mine was:

OD2,
Bass: 9 o'clock
Mid: 9 o' clock
Treble: 11 o' clock
Gain: 1 o' clock

Run a patch lead through the effects loop and turn the FX mix all the way up.

If you have an OD, like a Boss SD-1 or something, use that with the volume right up, and just a bit of gain to tighten up the sound

sorry for the noob question but what do you mean by "Run a patch lead through the effects loop and turn the FX mix all the way up."

How do you connect that?
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
sorry for the noob question but what do you mean by "Run a patch lead through the effects loop and turn the FX mix all the way up."

How do you connect that?

Put a small jack to jack lead (like ones used for connecting stompboxes on a pedalboard) from the 'Send' to the 'Return' of the FX loop, and don't put anything else in the loop.

Then turn the 'FX mix' on the front of the amp all the way up.
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
Put a small jack to jack lead (like ones used for connecting stompboxes on a pedalboard) from the 'Send' to the 'Return' of the FX loop, and don't put anything else in the loop.

Then turn the 'FX mix' on the front of the amp all the way up.

What does it do to the signal? thanks
Setup

Ibanez SZ320
Randall RD75
EHX METAL MUFF
Mesa boogie single recto series 2
Line 6 Toneport
Mesa boogie single recto series 1
Digitech GNX4
Quote by gface
What does it do to the signal? thanks

Adds 'balls', basically
Last edited by Inspired_by_Vai at Feb 24, 2008,
Yeah, the ZW should work fine.

And I'm selling it to fund the purchase of a new sound city head, as I'd like a more 'classic' british sound rather than the modern aggression the DSL offers
dsl aint that agressive i can get t-rexy sound really well. Anyway good luck with the sale. So you would say the zw-44 over any other ODs?
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai

TBH, I'm no expert on OD pedals. My Boss SD-1 did the trick nicely on a budget, but I'll let someone else recommend you a decent OD.

Don't triple post just to bump your thread, go and try the zw-44 and see if it's what you want.
i live on the isle of wight, and there is only 1 shop here and they dont stock very many pedals
And to go to the mainland it costs me £40 on a ferry. This is why i need your help UG
Boss DS-1 works great for tightening the sound.
but i don't think it's going tp add "balls" to your sound
i could try the boss, i found it a bit to sharp for me proberly cause the dum guy stuck me on cube which is pretty bloody sterile
price aint an issue, but as ive mentioned in other threads if heard the OCD was better for creating a sound on the clean channel. And i duno if a ts9 would do it, what about the maxon 808.

BUt the reasons i was thinking zw-44 was because its designed to boost an already distorted marshall
Quote by Varkunus
price aint an issue, but as ive mentioned in other threads if heard the OCD was better for creating a sound on the clean channel. And i duno if a ts9 would do it, what about the maxon 808.

BUt the reasons i was thinking zw-44 was because its designed to boost an already distorted marshall

All overdrives do that. the zw-44 is just an overpriced zakk wylde version of a Boss SD-1. You might want to get a clean boost and an EQ. That will do anything you want.
Not possible. Mesa and Marshall are on two different ends of the tonal spectrum. Marshall is Mid-range prominent, Mesa is Low-mid range. Two completely different sounds.

Only advice is to EQ as follows. Bass 10 Mid 1 Treble 9
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
nah the treble 7 and mids n bass 5 workes well. Its pretty tight but with an OD i reckon it will be amazing. Still which OD, and like i said im not bothered if the zw-44 costs more, and if its a sig aslong as i get the sound i want :p what about maxons? And my mate has a (internet friend) and he says he prefers its ummph over the more thing sd-1
Quote by Varkunus
why would i wana sell it?!!!

So you can get a Mesa that can do any type of sound like an F-50. The thing is that you get screwed over for Mesas in Europe.

I still think an EQ would help the most with tightening up your tone. You can also boost the level and get some more gain too.
Page 1 of 2