...and in this thread.
Went to Sound Control today and tried a few amps on my Les Paul (much to the annoyance of the staff ). So here it is I guess, my first spam thread in a while.

Blackheart BH5H
FINALLY tried this amp I tried the head on its own. As they didn't have the Blackheart cabinet, I tried it through Grainger's cabinet for their own 5 watter.
It looks really great and weights a lot more than I was expecting! It's a little smaller than the EVJ and Grainger 5 watter.
It's got a really nice sound to it. As R_H_C_P has constantly been saying, this is *not* a metal amp. The cleans were really articulate and a bit sparkly. It has a bit of a growl on it and is quite a dark sounding amp as opposed to the EVJ's brightness.
The EQ is really useful, I remember there being a video comparison between it and the EVJ on YouTube and the guy said that the EQ is pretty useless, I don't agree.
The 3 watt setting *seems* to have a bit more headroom than the 5 watt setting! Which is the complete opposite from what I was expecting. The 5 watt setting seems to have a bit more 'balls' to it though.
It seems to really start overdriving nicely about noon, a little bit before on the 5 watt setting. Its cleans with a tad of diry sounds great for anything bluesey. I only dared turn it up 3/4 of the way, this thing is LOUD, even on the 3 watt setting!!! But it sounded great for classic rock kind of stuff. I reckon it could do it a bit mroe modern with a decent OD or boost in front of it though. I tried the combo briefly with an Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer, but I'm crap with them and couldn't get a much better sound out of the amp than I was already getting.

Peavey 6505 Combo
Had been hearing from a few people on here that this sounds nothing like the head, and instead sounds a little 'tinny', so I decided to try it out.
First of all it was my friend, Adam who was trying this with his Schecter Omen-7, and I have to say...even with the bass low and nothing boosted/cut too much, it sounded really muddy! At first I thought something was up with the amp, but I tried it with my Les Paul and it sounded completely different! Wasn't muddy whatsoever. I haven't tried a 7 string on my 6505+ head, but if the combo is anything to go by, I would have to say that it can't handle 7 string! Which is really unfortunate, and I hope it's not the case with the head or some different speakers.
I really wouldn't be able to tell the difference in gain between this and my 6505+ head, so I really wouldn't worry if you needed a seperate EQ for cleans/crunch and were considering the 6505+/5150II. I would definitely say that a speaker change would be the best thing for this amp though. The Sheffields were okay , but when spending £1099 on an amp, you want it a bit better at what it's designed to do than mediocre.

Orange Tiny Terror
YES! I finally tried this amp which I've been wanting to do for SO long!
All I can say is WOW!
I tried it through the 1x12 Orange cabinet with I THINK a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker, I can't remember the name of the cab...PC112? something like that.
This amp is INCREDIBLE. The cleans are sparkly, articulate and REALLY respond to picking dynamics, with the gain up a bit, it can get really nice blues/crunchy tones, and it's quite darkly voiced like the 6505/5150. However, what I was AMAZED at is the amount of gain this thing has, and how the voicing of the amp changes as you put it up!
It can do metal! And I'm not even kidding. An OD pedal through it to tighten the low end up mayyybe, but it is incredible! I was riffing out some megadeth with the gain about 4/6 of the wayand some more modern metal with the gain up a bit higher, and it handled it brilliantly!
The 7 watt setting sounded just as good as the 15 watt setting, just a bit quieter, although the 15 watt setting seemed to have a bit more of a 'punch' behind it and...wow...I really was gobsmacked by this amp. Oh and it is MORE than capable of getting over drums, I had it at 1/2 volume, and I would definitely say that it could get over a drummer on the 7 watt setting without cleans and the 15 watt setting...maybe with a BIT more cleans, but not the sparkly, articulate cleans that I explained earlier. Definitely my next amp if I go for one if the Handsome Devil doesn't match up to it.

As for Sound Control, it was a really good shop with LOADS of gear, the only gripe I would have with it is the staff which you could CLEARLY tell were watching you and trying so hard to sell you the product you were trying, which, fair enough they're a sales assistant who probably gets extra money on commission, they're going to be explaining it and stuff, but they just seemed to overdo it you know?
They also had the Bogner/Line 6 Spiders there, but they seemed a little 'out of the way' and I think the sales staff were pretty pissed by the time we had asked to try out the Orange TT, so I left it, but I'll definitely be going back when they get the new Blackheart amps (particularly the Handsome Devil with it's gain knob, to put it next to the Tiny Terror) so hopefully I'll try out the Spider Valve then.

Anyway,
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Feb 23, 2008,
Spam? IN MY UG?

Nice thread

Soundcontrol staff round my area are hit+miss really.

Sometimes they're really helpful, sometimes they're just utter bastards
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!

Nice bit o spam
I went to Sound Control in Milton Keynes not so long ago, and i tried the Tiny Terror, and thought exactly the same as you I was amazed at the clean achievable, and although I'm not a metal man myself, i could tell there was plenty of gain for it. Not having cleans at gigging volumes was my biggest worry though.....
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by cmakkidguitar

Nice bit o spam
I went to Sound Control in Milton Keynes not so long ago, and i tried the Tiny Terror, and thought exactly the same as you I was amazed at the clean achievable, and although I'm not a metal man myself, i could tell there was plenty of gain for it. Not having cleans at gigging volumes was my biggest worry though.....

THAT IS MA SOUNDCONTROL.

Small world
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Hey, thanks for posting. I really want to try the Blackheart out, I just haven't found one around me. Is the Orange TT closer to the Blackheart in price out by you or is it still a pretty big jump?
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Quote by cmakkidguitar

Nice bit o spam

Yeah that would suck, but I suppose if you were having to be that loud there would be a PA system that you could hook it up to.
Quote by rageandlove04
Hey, thanks for posting. I really want to try the Blackheart out, I just haven't found one around me. Is the Orange TT closer to the Blackheart in price out by you or is it still a pretty big jump?

Nah, it's quite a jump...£99 for the BH5H and I think £280 or so for the TT, but it's understandable why, the Blackheart and TT are very different.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Nice one, i really want to try the TT out. Ever played the rocker? How does it compare. Im really after something with better crunch than my laney, but with decent cleans.
valve juniors are bright?

other than that, though, nice spam.

EDIT: agreed about the hard sell. Happens in shops other than sound control too... if it's done on me, i don't buy out of spite, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice thread Yngwi3! Which Sound Control was it?
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by beckyjc
Nice one, i really want to try the TT out. Ever played the rocker? How does it compare. Im really after something with better crunch than my laney, but with decent cleans.

Hmm...'fraid I havn't tried the Rocker Becky, I've tried the VC though, and I would say that the cleans on the VC are a fair bit more bluesy, but the TT beats it on classic marshall crunch at mid-gain.
Quote by Dave_Mc
valve juniors are bright?
other than that, though, nice spam.

Hah yeah I know the EVJ isn't amazingly bright my any means, but the Blackheart is a fair bit dark(er)

Quote by jxljxl
Nice thread Yngwi3! Which Sound Control was it?

Went to the one in Norwich Flippin trains weren't running so we got a BUS! Took a bloody hour!
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

East Anglian Public Transport = cr@p

Have they got Laneys there?
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by Yngwi3
Hah yeah I know the EVJ isn't amazingly bright my any means, but the Blackheart is a fair bit dark(er)

ah, ok. could you make it brighter than a VJ with the EQ?

the VJ does get quite bright if you really, really crank it up. but it's pretty dark up until about 2 o'clock (i like that, though).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Haha yeah it is pretty crap.
Hmm...no I don't think they did have Laneys...

As a matter of fact, I know they didn't.
They had...Valvekings, a 6505 combo, a load of marshalls (good and bad, ranging from the MG's which are in all music shops to a JVM), a load of Fenders, didn't really notice the models, but one of them had so many blinking lights it looked as though it was about to take off! An Orange TT, some boutique amp which I was going to ask about but forgot the name of... two spider valves, one 1x12, one 2x12, erm...a few Randalls, but NOT the RG50tc...the complete range of Vox Valvetronix XL's, and the Cube series (right opposite each other ), a Blackheart head and combo, a 5 watter Grainger... and probably some other stuff

Quote by Dave_Mc
ah, ok. could you make it brighter than a VJ with the EQ?
the VJ does get quite bright if you really, really crank it up. but it's pretty dark up until about 2 o'clock (i like that, though).

Hmm...you PROBABLY could with another EQ like the 10 band MXR... but it's kinda like trying to make the 6505 'brighter' you know?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

It seems that I'm gonna have to go on an adventure to Sound Control Norwich............

TO THE TRAIN STATION!
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Haha, it's about 20 mins walk from the train station- I was surprised it was quite 'out of the way'.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Man im disapointed at the 6505 combos lower end capabilities(or incapabilties), ah well, im still amazed at how great the tiny terror was, like ZOMG, but it costs £289

But for a 15w, its LOUD.

Good shop

Another thing:

I tried the electic drum kits in soundcontrol, and i was playing about with one(which was much to my surprise was great), and i saw the only one with a double bass pedal, so i asked wether i could have a try on it, and the store person said only poeple who want to buy it are alowed on it 'cos it costs £4000. £4000!!!!!!, then he told me the one i was sitting on was worth £2000, man with that money i could buy a nice sparkly real kit for that price(as john said halfway up the escalator)

SPAM,SPAM, COMES IN A CAN
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by Yngwi3
Hmm...you PROBABLY could with another EQ like the 10 band MXR... but it's kinda like trying to make the 6505 'brighter' you know?

i meant the on-board eq, lol. Sorry about that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I figured that. I don't think you could do it TOO well with the on board EQ, maybe with one like the MXR I mentioned
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

ok, thanks. if i needed an eq, i could just use that with the valve junior, y'know?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

good stuff. and i'm not surprised you were blown away by an orange amp. they do it every time
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
good stuff. and i'm not surprised you were blown away by an orange amp. they do it every time

Yeah, I hadn't ever tried one before, but if this is anything to go by Orange OWN!

Oh and in your sig...JoHn Jon is a blummin abbreviation of 'Jonathan' which is the gheey Americanised version of JoHn
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

full name is jonathan! but that makes me feel like i'm 5 years old...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Hah
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by UnsignedRecords

full name is jonathan! but that makes me feel like i'm 5 years old...

wow iv never noticed that full names make you sound young

Oh the naivety of our childhood.......
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

it's true. well, actually it sounds like either a child or an extremely rich uptight blonde haired british guy...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
it's true. well, actually it sounds like either a child or an extremely rich uptight blonde haired british guy...

Oh so true
Quote by dark&broken

what would you say has a bettern sound for modern/hard rock, like Tool, Foo fighters, rhcp/froosh, etc., Blackheart or Palomino V8?
I haven't tried the Palomino, not being in the US, but the Blackheart isn't really geared for that music...not without an OD or boost pedal anyway.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace