I just don't get how you do it. I want to learn songs such as Knights Of Cydonia and Run To The Hills but i need to know how to gallop. My bass teacher told me that Steve harris (maiden bassist) does a downstroke follwed by 2 upstrokes but i cant get round that.

if any of you know how to gallop can you please give me any advice, tips, help or suggestions how to do it?

thanks
I don't know the Maiden song, but I know that the Muse bassist uses his fingers, so try using all upstrokes with your first two fingers, that'll make it easier.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Well, your guitar teacher is wrong. A gallop is two short notes followed by a longer note, typically two 16ths followed by an 8th
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Sid McCall
I don't know the Maiden song, but I know that the Muse bassist uses his fingers, so try using all upstrokes with your first two fingers, that'll make it easier.

Chris uses a pick for this song except the riff at the end
If you are playing with fingers, use your ring finger. This pattern 321 321 321 makes galloping much easier with 10 minutes of getting used to it.

But doing the Steve Harris 2 finger gallop is much harder.
Do you use fingers or a pick?

Galloping can be done with two fingers, or with three. For two fingers, you use the middle, and index fingers in a pattern of Middle-Index-Middle. For three, you use your ring, middle, and index fingers in that order. It takes some practice, but you'll eventually get to speed.

If you use a pick, though, down-up-down would be easiest (In my opinion).
Quote by IndianRockStar
If you are playing with fingers, use your ring finger. This pattern 321 321 321 makes galloping much easier with 10 minutes of getting used to it.

But doing the Steve Harris 2 finger gallop is much harder.

i thought he used a pick o.0 you learn something new everyday
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
2 songs you can learn first would be heaven and hell by sabbath and dio's holy diver. they use alot of slower gallops on bass.

+1's for dave and indian. they said exactly what i was going to say.
Quote by dave667
For two fingers, you use the middle, and index fingers in a pattern of Middle-Index-Middle.

If you use a pick, though, down-up-down would be easiest (In my opinion).

That would mess up his technique making him losing speed for playing the middle finger twice.
It should be Middle-Index-Middle, Index-Middle-Index, Middle-Index-Middle and so on....

And personally I think galloping with fingers are easier but everybody prefers differently and for using a pick, you should keep alternating and not repeat a same pattern.
GET OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE!(its hard!)
Quote by Waters?

And personally I think galloping with fingers are easier but everybody prefers differently and for using a pick, you should keep alternating and not repeat a same pattern.

What is wrong with 3 finger gallops? They flow incredibly naturally, and therefore are very easy to play quickly. I hardly use them, but I can match the speed of every Iron Maiden gallop, and Harris is know for his gallops.

Don't make life difficult, and do what you find easiest.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Waters?
That would mess up his technique making him losing speed for playing the middle finger twice.
It should be Middle-Index-Middle, Index-Middle-Index, Middle-Index-Middle and so on....

Yeah, sorry 'bout that, that was what I meant to say.
And yeah, personally, I prefer the two finger gallop. I was just saying that a pick would probably be the easiest.
You can always use both, using the three finger ring-middle-index gallop for fast stuff, and a two finger gallop for stuff that isn't all that fast.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Throw a flash bang at him.
i can't really use my ring finger, its double jointed, which i think probably affects how i can move it... basically it always wants to play with the middle finger and not separately, so i guess the 2 finger technique is better for me

people have their prefereneces though
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I don't see the big deal with 3 fingers, I manage to play faster than Iron Maiden's live stuff with only two fingers...

*shrugs*
Just about every Dio song is gallops.
Last edited by matt-attack at Feb 23, 2008,
I would suggest using the three fingers. Ring - middle- index. It gives you more time to pluck if you use three fingers.

With the pick use alternate picking switching strokes each gallup
Run to the hills is actually the first song I learned all the way through on the bass (former guitar player). I never used a pick and Steve Harris doesn't use a pick. Run To The Hills would IMHO be a very difficult song to play using a pick. I don't use my third finger and it's not a big deal, unless your playing very fast songs. Also that age old practice, practice, practice thing is the same for this, the more you use your fingers while playing the bass the more it will feel natural to do so. It actually feels odd to me to use a pick. Just my .02

-Gary
UP THE IRONS!
I do gallops with one finger, just strumming it back and forth.

Then again, they're not very fast and pretty sloppy, so what do I know.
remember that correct strumming technique with a pick involves you to keep doing up and downstrokes at a constant speed and to just miss the string on held notes or rests when possible. by held notes i mean ones that would be 2 strokes otherwise. you don't just keep flailing your arm for a measure without hitting notes. buy anyway, that would conclude that since a gallop contains 4 eigth note sections you should strum it down up down up. thus you would hit the string down up down, down up down, down up down. this is proper picking and it tends to hold a consistent beat better than down up down, up down up. but really if you feel that alternating the patterns for you is easier then go for it.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by ele1122
I don't see the big deal with 3 fingers, I manage to play faster than Iron Maiden's live stuff with only two fingers...

*shrugs*

It is just that 3 fingers flows much easier, making high speeds far easier, and clearer. It takes a lot of practise to stop fast 2 finger gallops sounding a bit choppy and forced.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
What is wrong with 3 finger gallops? They flow incredibly naturally, and therefore are very easy to play quickly. I hardly use them, but I can match the speed of every Iron Maiden gallop, and Harris is know for his gallops.

Don't make life difficult, and do what you find easiest.

I never said Im against 3 finger gallops, I use them.
I was talking about dave's post, he didnt write what he meant correctly.
I use 2 aswell. I just find it easier.

I swear in the music video for Knights of Cydonia, Chris Wolstenholme uses a pick. But anyways, fingers is easier for gallops. Just build speed up slowly.

Good early songs have already been pointed out (holy diver being the best one) but once you get a little advanced try the trooper by maiden, pretty much solid gallops for 4 mins.
Quote by Yawsbass
I do gallops with one finger, just strumming it back and forth.

Then again, they're not very fast and pretty sloppy, so what do I know.

Anyhow, I'd say it is Steve Harris' stamina that he is more well known for - which incorporates the gallops. Maybe it is just me, but my arm hurts after run to the hills. He just keeps going!
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
I just use 3 fingers and just slide them accros the string it gets really easy after awhile and it really fun.
Sticking with the galloping question, I can gallop rather easily on the low E, but I phail miserably galloping on any other strings...is it just lack of practice, or what?
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
steve harris does it with three fingers
i just practiced and practiced till i got the hang of using three fingers
galloping is quite easy to do with a metronome. just set it to an easy pace that you know you can play at least 16ths to.

Then start adding another 8th in before you strike the 16ths.

Eventually you will become faster and faster.
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
steve harris does it with three fingers

*Sighs*

No, he only plays with two fingers. His ring finger moving around is simply due to the fact it is attached to the middle finger by tendons. He has cleared it up in numerous interviews, and if you watch him play properly, it is clearly 2 fingers.

However, his lines are very well suited to 3 finger technique.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
*Sighs*

No, he only plays with two fingers. His ring finger moving around is simply due to the fact it is attached to the middle finger by tendons. He has cleared it up in numerous interviews, and if you watch him play properly, it is clearly 2 fingers.

However, his lines are very well suited to 3 finger technique.

oh? i could of swore he said he used three fingers somewhere
unless im getting confused with another person
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
oh? i could of swore he said he used three fingers somewhere
unless im getting confused with another person

Steve DiGiorgio perhaps?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything