Page 1 of 2
So there's this song in the key of G. The chords being played are E5 followed by C5. The guitars are tuned down a half step.

Now...I thought I be able to solo over this using the G minor pentatonic (original, I know ), since it's in the key of G. This would mean the type 1 box would start at the root note, G, at the 4th fret, e string.

However, it sounds awful.

What am I doing wrong?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Try picking the right scale. How did you come to pick G minor?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
The guitars are tuned down therefore the root note you are starting on is different, could that be it?
How do arrive at picking a 'correct' scale?

Sorry, I'm a noob at theory...

EDIT-

Here's a screenshot.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Last edited by Volta_91 at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by pepsi1187
and if your playing E and C.. then why are you playing G.

Maybe because its in the key of G
If you are playing E and C its in Eminor or Gmajor...and the 4th fret is a Gsharp..so u would need to start on the 3rd fret...
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
Quote by Bigdave9576
If you are playing E and C its in Eminor or Gmajor...and the 4th fret is a Gsharp..so u would need to start on the 3rd fret...

Tuned half step down.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

E minor is exactly the same scale positions as Gmajor..dont listen to that guy.....u just have to resolve onto different notes
Yeah but your rhythm guitar is also tuned half a step down no? so u dont need to compensate for it with the lead guitar
4th fret would =G and 5th would b G#
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Bigdave9576
E minor is exactly the same scale positions as Gmajor..dont listen to that guy.....u just have to resolve onto different notes

Scales aren't positions, they're collections of notes. E minor and G major have completely different intervals and completely different tonal centers. They are not the same thing.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
E minor is not the same as G major. Seriously, whoever thinks otherwise is a tool. Use the searchbutton if you want to know why because I'm getting sick and tired of explaining it.

As a starter, I recommend the MT Sticky FAQ.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by Bigdave9576
If you're referring to me: Scales are not positions you dumb fucking fucky fuck! E Minor and G major are very very different.

If you're not referring to me: You're still not right, but my apologies for the mean-speak.
Quote by Bigdave9576
Yeah but your rhythm guitar is also tuned half a step down no? so u dont need to compensate for it with the lead guitar

There aren't really any rhythm guitars. Just 2 lead, tuned half step down.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Is the song just E5 and G5? If so, you're in E minor, not G major, and they're most definately NOT the same.

E minor and G major are the same thing buddy... read a book.

and E5 isnt E minor. there aint no indication anywhere that its in the key of G. . added to the fact that your playing E and C
Of course they are not the same things theoretically..but to someone who is new to guitar...if he plays the same scale boxes (the E minor ones) then he will be exactly in key for Gmajor.....dont over complicate it...damnit
Quote by pepsi1187

and E5 isnt E minor. there aint no indication anywhere that its in the key of G. . added to the fact that your playing E and C

Doesn't one sharp symbol on the staff mean it's in the key of G?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Quote by Bigdave9576
Of course they are not the same things theoretically..but to someone who is new to guitar...if he plays the same scale boxes (the E minor ones) then he will be exactly in key for Gmajor.....dont over complicate it...damnit

We're not over complicating it, you're just dumbing it down to such a ridiculous extreme that it's no longer accurate.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
They're not the same things in practice, either. They're very different in application, even though they contain the same notes.

TS, anything you consider to be a G major scale position, you can use. You'll just find yourself resolving to E more than G.

I'm not even going to respond to the ignorance of that Pepsi guy.
Quote by pepsi1187
E minor and G major are the same thing buddy... read a book.

All I have to say is wow. Just because two scales have the same notes do not make them the same thing!!! The major scale has completely different intervals than the minor scale.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
E minor and G major are the same thing buddy

G major is built with intervals of a major second, a major third, a perfect fourth, a perfect fifth, a major sixth, and a major seventh.

E minor is built with intervals of a major second, a minor third, a perfect fourth, a perfect fifth, a minor sixth, and a minor seventh.

How in the cold, blue hell are they same thing?
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote

TS, anything you consider to be a G major scale position, you can use. You'll just find yourself resolving to E more than G.

How could I use the minor pent? Just use G as the root note?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Quote by Volta_91
How could I use the minor pent? Just use G as the root note?
You wouldn't want to use the G minor pentatonic. You could use the E minor pentatonic in any position on the neck. Anywhere the notes E G A B D appear, they are part of the E minor pentatonic.
Solo in G major, if you want to use some pentatonic type riffs just throw them in in the dorian or phrygian mode of the G major (ionian) scale.
My Gear:
Custom Fender 62' Reissue Strat
Carvin Custom Shop DC400T
Jackson SL3 Soloist
Fender Super-Sonic 112
Boss GT-10

Quote by XianXiuHong
000-000-000-000-000
PM------------------------

You can now play every Slayer song.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You wouldn't want to use the G minor pentatonic. You could use the E minor pentatonic in any position on the neck. Anywhere the notes E G A B D appear, they are part of the E minor pentatonic.

Ok, Thanks.

So, how would I figure out what to use as the root note in the minor pentatonic if the key was A, or B?

Do you have to look at the key signature or the chords being played?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Last edited by Volta_91 at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by pepsi1187
E minor and G major use the same exact notes ... bottom line.

They have completely different intervals and completely different tonal centers, and are used in completely different situations.

Sarcastic analogy: Two paintings use the same colors, ergo, they are both the same painting.

Dumbass.

their relative to each other.. if anyone knows what that means

We all know what that means. You clearly don't.
but their the same notes man.

i mean if you were playing in G major. the whole patterns and intervals in the E minor scale is applicable to that
Quote by pepsi1187

*sigh*

Completely different intervals, completely different tonal centers, completely different situations. They are not even remotely similar.

Stop ****ing double posting. It doesn't take an entirely new post to say "that's all im sayin". We know that's what you're saying...you said it. We can read.
Quote by pepsi1187

i mean if you were playing in G major. the whole patterns and intervals in the E minor scale is applicable to that

Yes, but if it's in G major, then you aren't using E minor, you're using G major,
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
So, how would I figure out what to use as the root note in the minor pentatonic if the key was A, or B?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Quote by Volta_91
You can do it just by looking at the chords, but the key signature helps a lot as well.
The misinformation, and then pwnage, in this topic is hilarious.

E minor =/= G major.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112
Quote by Archeo Avis
They have completely different intervals and completely different tonal centers, and are used in completely different situations.

Sarcastic analogy: Two paintings use the same colors, ergo, they are both the same painting.

Dumbass.

We all know what that means. You clearly don't.

he isn't a dumbass because he's not educated in music theory, get over yourself.

However, listen to Archeo and Bangoodcharolet

I think completly differently when i'm dealing with minors as opposed to majors
Page 1 of 2