I want to get the nirvana sound, wich guitar should help me:
-Fender Mustang
-Gibson SG Special Faded 3-Pickup
If i buy one of these i will change the pickups with a Seymour Duncan jb or a jb jr
fender mustang.

but why you'd want to sound like crap is beyond me.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
A Fender Jagstang? Otherwise the Mustang could be a good choice; but amps and effects would also probably have a large part of his sound
Fender Strat FTW in Nirvana sound..
Quote by Nakon14

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
what era of kurt do you want to sound like? bleach and before it, get the gibson. If you want his sound like nevermind or in utero buy the mustang, do it up, and get a ds-2 and other effects
If your going to swap the pups then I don't see why the guitar would even matter because the wood/shape/size of the guitar doesn't effect your tone that much.

but anyways, kurt cobain used strats, mustangs, jaguars, jazzmaster, and telecasters, and he modded them like crazy, so it's gonna be pretty hard to sound like him no matter what guitar you buy.

You should google his gear if you want to find out what he used.
you'll find that he modified his guitars to be more like gibsons than fenders,

EDIT: 1 more thing - I'm pretty sure the mustangs Kurt used were all from the 60's and 70's and they were made out of basswood. Now, fender makes mustangs out of poplar.
Last edited by curlyhead_P at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by curlyhead_P
If your going to swap the pups then I don't see why the guitar would even matter because the wood/shape/size of the guitar doesn't effect your tone that much.

Wood effects tone quite a bit. Put the same pickup in 2 identically shaped guitars, one an alder body guitar, and the other mahogany for example and you'll hear a significant difference. I'm talking about passive pickups. With EMG's you can hook them up to a cinder block and it would still sound metal
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by DSOTM80
Wood effects tone quite a bit. Put the same pickup in 2 identically shaped guitars, one an alder body guitar, and the other mahogany for example and you'll hear a significant difference. I'm talking about passive pickups. With EMG's you can hook them up to a cinder block and it would still sound metal

you just gave me an awesome idea.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by an epic mistake
you just gave me an awesome idea.

LOL good luck with that!