ok i bought a marshall mg100 half stack a week ago but im not 100 percent satisfied and im considering the peavy valking 212 combo amp. Is it a good exchange? ive never owned a tube amp so i have no idea on what to look for. I play thrash speed metal so the distortion has to be good but not super heavy, any recommendations?? What about the clean channel how is it. Any one own one??
or do you guys recommend something else? i want an amp that is loud enough for a gig. 100 watts minimum and i dont want to spend more then 800 bucks. I KNOW I KNOW not another amp thread.
Last edited by metalrhoads at Feb 23, 2008,
The Valveking isn't be any means amazing but it's an alright valve amp for the price you know?
It gets quite muddy when too much gain/bass is used, especially if you're playing fast and thrashy stuff.
It WILL be an upgrade, but it's still not jaw-dropping.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yes.

I have one, and honestly, it's louder than I'd ever need, the distortion on it isn't too high unless you seriously drive the amp, and it'll blow the MG out of the water.

How much money are you going to get in return for the amp?
Funny words.
i spent 618 bucks so i should get that back. it was at guitar center so i have 30 days if im not satisfied
The valveking gives a great crunchy sound. Think Van Halen, with more gain available if you need it. The clean sound is pretty good, too.

I don't get why so many people bash it. It's a good amp, plus it's really cheap for a tube amp. I think it's worth its price.

Yes, I have tried both the MG100 and the Valveking. I played the 112 combo versions of each, though.
Quote by sashki
The valveking gives a great crunchy sound. Think Van Halen, with more gain available if you need it. The clean sound is pretty good, too.

I don't get why so many people bash it. It's a good amp, plus it's really cheap for a tube amp. I think it's worth its price.

Amen.

Best in the price range as it can handle most genres well, if not great.

EDIT:
Quote by rancidryan
noooooo dont buy an mg

Did you even read the first post?

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
unfortunetly i already did. but im thinking of returning it cause im not 100 percent satisfied.
I need something that has enough distortion to get that metallica master of puppets tone ( for you guys that are not into thrash thats one of the best examples)
Return it. Don't get the valveking. Get a used Peavey 5150. Thank me later

+1

or get a laney
It doesn't REALLY have the gain or voicing for MoP sort of tone...you can do it with a speaker change/EQ pedal but by the time you've done that you might as well have bought a used 5150 combo which will blow the VK out of the water.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by Guitar_Dan_666
Amen.

Best in the price range as it can handle most genres well, if not great.

EDIT:

Did you even read the first post?

yeah i read the first post and the last one too but i already own one.
did you even read the my first post?
..Who are you replying to?
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
The Valveking isn't be any means amazing but it's an alright valve amp for the price you know?
It gets quite muddy when too much gain/bass is used, especially if you're playing fast and thrashy stuff.
It WILL be an upgrade, but it's still not jaw-dropping.

agreed. if you can swap the mg for a VK as a straight swap (considering the mg is still pretty new), DO IT.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i can return it with no problem i bought the cab used and the head new i still have all that came with it.
do it then. almost anything you can get will be better than an MG (slight exaggeration, but you know what i mean). A valveking definitely is. though if you're willing to go up to the price of the 212, you might be almost in range of a classic 30, or crate palomino (haven't tried), both of which may also be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
MG=fail
VK=win
therefore, definitely return the MG for the VK.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I would return the MG and save up a little more, say $50 and go for a Mesa F-30, F-50, or DC series.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by metalrhoads
i want an amp that is loud enough for a gig. 100 watts minimum and i dont want to spend more then 800 bucks. I KNOW I KNOW not another amp thread.

You DON'T need a 100 watt tube amp. Really. They get much louder than solid states.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
DONT keep the Mg please?

The VK is way to muddy in my opinion, i tried it out not to long ago, i think it was the VK112, and it was pants in my opinion.

A used 5150/6505 will do ya fine, MAYBE with an OD pedal.

EGGEDIT:
Quote by loonyguitarist
You DON'T need a 100 watt tube amp. Really. They get much louder than solid states.

+ everything

100w will kill you

a 50w tube amp would do you, 50w at the most me thinks.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

You do not need 100 Watts tube.

A 5 watt Valve Junior is TOO LOUD for the bedroom. I don't play it above 5% turned (about 7 oclock max) because it gets loud.

And yes, if you can trade your MG in for a Valveking you will have a much better amp.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by John W
You do not need 100 Watts tube.

A 5 watt Valve Junior is TOO LOUD for the bedroom. I don't play it above 5% turned (about 7 oclock max) because it gets loud.

And yes, if you can trade your MG in for a Valveking you will have a much better amp.

If you can get something better than the VK, go for it.like iv said previously(see previous post) the VK is crap(in my opinion)

But anything will be better than the MG, except the spiders....
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.