seymour duncan has their '59 series of pickups but i was wondering if anyone has the duncan designed equivilent and if so would they be good for metal forms such as sludge, thrash and death?
Gear:
1982 Washburn T-bird
2007 BC Rich Warbeast
Hey 6stringsin, What part of South Dakota ar you in? I lived outside Sioux Falls untill I moved to the UK.

To answer the question. The '59 humbucker by Seymour duncan is a good PAF replica. The 2 things that make his PAF's different than most are the PE wire and the fact that he bought gibsons old winding machines so they get wound in the same way the old gibson pickups did. Seymour duncan has changed his '59 so that it uses a small alnico 5 magnet rather than a larger alnico 2, 3, or 4 magnet. The smaller alnico 5 gives you better high end and more cut than a real PAF would have had which does make it a very good choice for nearly all types of music as long as you pair it up with the right amp.

The Duncan Designed equivilent isn't wound on the old gibson machines, it's wound with a regular CNC winder which makes it sound less alive. Ducan Designed are also made with poly wire which gives you a "wet" tone rather than a "dry" tone. The dry tone is much much better for metal but poly can't be too bad either because it's the only thing DiMarzio uses. Other than the wire and winding method the duncan designed pickups are pretty much the same as the real duncans. I would never spend money for a duncan designed pickup because they are just cheep, made in china, pickups that are no better than any other "crap" pickups coming stock on guitars.
Not taking any online orders.
oh i have a fund going for a 100 watt crate right now thats now problem i just want to give my warbeast a little change because i really hate their bridge pickups. i think im just gonna buy a true duncan jb for the bridge. thanks alot guys.
Gear:
1982 Washburn T-bird
2007 BC Rich Warbeast
I have a JB that I've used for 20 years now. Sounds great to me. I'm having a guitar built that I'm putting the SH-5 in (with the SH-2 Jazz). Maybe I'll remember to post about them when I get it assembled. Won't be until april or may though.

I chose the SH-5 and SH-2 using Duncan's tone wizard - and listening to the sound samples they have.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/

I hope it works out for me.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Hey 6stringsin, What part of South Dakota ar you in? I lived outside Sioux Falls untill I moved to the UK.

To answer the question. The '59 humbucker by Seymour duncan is a good PAF replica. The 2 things that make his PAF's different than most are the PE wire and the fact that he bought gibsons old winding machines so they get wound in the same way the old gibson pickups did. Seymour duncan has changed his '59 so that it uses a small alnico 5 magnet rather than a larger alnico 2, 3, or 4 magnet. The smaller alnico 5 gives you better high end and more cut than a real PAF would have had which does make it a very good choice for nearly all types of music as long as you pair it up with the right amp.

So he winds the 59's on the Leesona? I thought he only did the Antiquities on it...