Poll: Who's Gonna Win Best Picture?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who's Gonna Win Best Picture?
Atonement
2 4%
Juno
8 15%
Michael Clayton
5 9%
No Country for Old Men
23 43%
There Will Be Blood
15 28%
Voters: 53.
Page 1 of 2
Alright guys, the Oscars are tomorrow night, so I thought I'd go ahead and create a thread where everyone can discuss the nominees and talk about who they want to win. When the awards actually air we can have kind of a play-by-play going on. Anyway, here are the nominees as listed by category:

Best Picture

• Atonement
  • Juno
  • Michael Clayton
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood

Actor in a Leading Role
  • George Clooney - Micheal Clayton
  • Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
  • Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd
  • Tommy Lee Jones - In The Valley of Elah
  • Viggo Mortensen - Eastern Promises

Actor in a Supporting Role
  • Casey Affleck - The Assination of Jesse James...
  • Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
  • Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War
  • Hal Holbrook - Into the Wild
  • Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton

Actress in a Leading Role
  • Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
  • Julie Christie - Away From Her
  • Marion Cotillard - La Vie En Rose
  • Laura Linney - The Savages
  • Ellen Page - Juno

Actress in a Supporting Role
  • Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
  • Ruby Dee - American Gangster
  • Saorise Ronan - Atonement
  • Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
  • Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton

Animated Feature Film
  • Persepolis
  • Ratatouille
  • Surf's Up

Art Direction
  • American Gangster
  • Atonement
  • The Golden Compass
  • Sweeney Todd
  • There Will Be Blood

Cinematography
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by Coward Robert Ford
  • Atonement
  • The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood

Costume Design
  • Across the Universe
  • Atonement
  • Elizabeth: The Golden Age
  • La Vie En Rose
  • Sweeney Todd

Directing
  • Juno
  • Michael Clayton
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood

Documentary Feature
  • No End in Sight
  • Operations Homecoming: The Wartime Experience
  • Sicko
  • Taxi to the Dark Side
  • War/Dance

Documentary Short
  • Freeheld
  • La Corona
  • Salim Baba
  • Sari's Mother

Film Editing
  • The Bourne Ultimatum
  • Into the Wild
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood

Foreign Language Film
  • Beaufort
  • The Counterfeiters
  • Katyn
  • Mongol

Makeup
  • La Vie En Rose
  • Norbit
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Music (Score)
  • Atonement
  • The Kite Runner
  • Michael Clayton
  • Ratatoulle
  • 3:10 to Yuma

Music (Song)
  • "Falling Slowly" - Once
  • "Happy Working Song" - Enchanted
  • "Raise it Up" - August Rush
  • "So Close" - Enchanted
  • "That's How You Know" - Enchanted

Short Film (Animated)
  • I Met the Walrus
  • Madame Tutli-Putli
  • Meme Les Pigeons Vont Au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)
  • My Love
  • Peter & The Wolf

Short Film (Live Action)
  • At Night
  • Il Supplente (The Substitute)
  • Le Mozart Des Pickpockets
  • Tanghi Argentini
  • The Tonto Woman
Sound Editing

• The Bourne Ultimatum
  • No Country for Old Men
  • Ratatouille
  • There Will Be Blood
  • Transformers

Sound Mixing
  • The Bourne Ultimatum
  • No Country for Old Men
  • Ratatouille
  • 3:10 to Yuma
  • Transformers

Visual Effects
  • The Golden Compass
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
  • Transformers

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
  • Atonement
  • Away from Her
  • No Country for Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood

Writing (Original Screenplay)
  • Juno
  • Lars and the Real Girl
  • Michael Clayton
  • Ratatouille
  • The Savages

Whew!! Ok, let the film snobbery commence!
Last edited by happytimeharry at Feb 23, 2008,
If No Country for Old Men doesn't win Best Film, Best Director and Best Supporting Actor for Javier Bardem, I'm gonna be immensely pissed off.
Quote by SmarterChild
If No Country for Old Men doesn't win Best Film, Best Director and Best Supporting Actor for Javier Bardem, I'm gonna be immensely pissed off.

I agree that Bardem should snag Best Supporting. Although I can't say I really liked the film as a whole, his character was great.
Juno will win best picture, because it's "charming".

I don't think it should win, mind you.
The.
i think no country, but i want juno to win
If we're never together, if I'm never back again, well i swear to God that I'll love you forever. Evelyn, I'm not coming home tonight.
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Juno will win best picture, because it's "charming".

I don't think it should win, mind you.

As much as I loved Juno (yes, I admit it), I don't think it's going to get Best Picture. I do think it's going to get Best Original Screenplay though. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that Ellen Page grabs Best Actress in Leading.
I thought Juno was pretty shit, it didn't live up to the hype at all. The characters were all entirely one-dimensional, there were no sub-plots or much development. And a lot of the parts were played to a fairly average standard.

I can't see why everyones raves about it so much, or how it's got so many nominations and stuff, it was mediocre at best.

EDIT: The title sequence was also aggravatingly long and pointless, it pissed me off before the film even started, which didn't help.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Last edited by -February-Star- at Feb 23, 2008,
You asshole. I was thinking about making this thread....like the same layout and everything...

"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
You asshole. I was thinking about making this thread....like the same layout and everything...

Well great minds think alike. Yours just thinks a little slower.
Quote by happytimeharry
As much as I loved Juno (yes, I admit it), I don't think it's going to get Best Picture. I do think it's going to get Best Original Screenplay though. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that Ellen Page grabs Best Actress in Leading.

Yeah I think it will get BOS even though I think Michael Clayton deserves that.

I also think Casey Affleck should win over Javier Bardem but the latter will probably win.

And I have a MASSIVE problem....I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet. I resorted to trying to find it online but the ones online are missing scenes.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by -February-Star-
I thought Juno was pretty shit, it didn't live up to the hype at all. The characters were all entirely one-dimensional, there were no sub-plots or much development. And a lot of the parts were played to a fairly average standard.

I can't see why everyones raves about it so much, or how it's got so many nominations and stuff, it was mediocre at best.

EDIT: The title sequence was also aggravatingly long and pointless, it pissed me off before the film even started, which didn't help.

I don't see why everyone feels the need to nit-pick at Juno. Is it simply because it's popular? Obviously if it has been nominated for Best Picture, some people must think it's a great movie. I will agree though, that it was massively over-hyped. That didn't stop me from enjoying it though.

edit:

Quote by myself101

And I have a MASSIVE problem....I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet. I resorted to trying to find it online but the ones online are missing scenes.

Have you tried watch-movies.net?
I hope No Country For Old Men wins best picture. Amazing movie.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
i don't think any of 'em will win
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
"all fatties report to the gym!"

Quote by mosh_face

music should only sound like a train running into a wall of BC riches plugged into line 6 spiders
Quote by happytimeharry
I don't see why everyone feels the need to nit-pick at Juno. Is it simply because it's popular? Obviously if it has been nominated for Best Picture, some people must think it's a great movie. I will agree though, that it was massively over-hyped. That didn't stop me from enjoying it though.

It's not that I didn't like it, I was just quite disappointed that it didn't live up to the massive hype and rave reviews I'd read. Still worth the cinema price, just a bit of a disappointment really.

And thanks for making this thread, reminded me I need to go and see There Will Be Blood.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by LazySandman
i don't think any of 'em will win

Yeah, Epic Movie is going to come from behind and surprise everyone.

Quote by -February-Star-
It's not that I didn't like it, I was just quite disappointed that it didn't live up to the massive hype and rave reviews I'd read. Still worth the cinema price, just a bit of a disappointment really.

Ok, that I definitely understand. I think all the hype Juno received was a double edged sword. It got a lot of people to see it that would not have otherwise, but it seems like it let down a lot of people. Since it was so hyped up, people were expecting WAY too much from it. The lesson of the day kids, is "Balance."
Last edited by happytimeharry at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by happytimeharry
Have you tried watch-movies.net?

I just took a look and people were saying that it seems to have scenes cut out and the ending isn't right.

Thanks for the site though.

And I change my mind, I want The Darjeeling Limited to win BOS
<//////>~
Quote by myself101

I want The Darjeeling Limited to win BOS

*glare*

I think the Ellen Page group only has room for 9 members...
Although, Juno did have a bit of Anderson influence actually.

...but not as good as the real thing

Ellen page is awesome and should win...even though I haven't seen that french lady who is suppose to be really good.
<//////>~
Quote by happytimeharry
Good. Attention grabbers for the win!

attention grabbers!? I cant even read it!
Quote by cloüd1
attention grabbers!? I cant even read it!

Are you using UG Classic? If so, there's your problem.
I have the link in my sig to a blog I made with my Oscar predictions (it's the one with 'God' as a link). I've actually made it a point to watch a lot of the nominated movies, and I must say, this has been as excellent year for movies. Please check out the blog, as it took a lot of work, and I don't feel like posting the entire thing here.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by happytimeharry
I agree that Bardem should snag Best Supporting. Although I can't say I really liked the film as a whole, his character was great.

I loved it, although I can see how the ending would annoy some people.. I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet though, so I might end up liking that more.
Quote by happytimeharry
Are you using UG Classic? If so, there's your problem.

o yeah it works, but u could atleast use a different color
Quote by RHCP94's Oscar picks
Hey there, losers, it's Oscar time (actually, not for a month). I thought I'd unravel my expert opinion, so it can be allowed to saturate into your febble brains. First I will show who the Academy nominated ( http://www.oscars.com/nominees/ , then I will give MY opinion. Here we go:

Best Picture:
Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood

Tyler's Take: As good 'Juno' was, I don't think it should be nominated. Neither should Atonement (the Academy loves sappy love stories with Keira Knightly), or Michael Clayton (still a great film, though). Those three should be replaced with the Bob Dylan experimental biopic, 'I'm Not There' (I've never seen such creativity in a biopic), 'Into The Wild' (Emile Hirsch and Hal Holbrook are fantastic, and Eddie Vedder's soundtrack is just icing on the cake), and Sweeney Todd (Depp, Carter, and Burten went WAY out on a limb and paid off big-time, real fun to watch). The winner will be either 'There Will Be Blood' or 'No Country For Old Men'. Both excellent films, but I like 'No Country For Old Men' just a little bit more.

Actor In A Leading Role:
George Clooney - Michael Clayton
Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd:The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Tommy Lee Jones - In The Valley of Elah
Viggo Mortenson - Eastern Promises

Tyler's Take: While I have not seen 'In The Valley of Elah', my father has, and said it was God awful. Based on that, Tommy Lee Jones should be booted from this category. The actors though, whole-heartedly deserve it. Replace Jones with Phillip Seymour Hoffman for 'Before The Devil Know's You're Dead', and you got a great list. It is impossible to choose between Depp and Day-Lewis. Impossible. Let me flip a coin. The coin said Depp.

Actor In A Supporting Role:
Casey Affleck - The Assasination of Jesse James By The Cowards Robert Ford
Javier Bordem - No Country For Old Men
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook - Into the Wild
Tom Wilkinson - Michael Clayton

Tyler's Take: First off, get rid of Affleck and add Heath Ledger, Richard Gere, or Christian Bale for their work in 'I'm Not There'. While Bordem probabaly will win, the best actor here is Holbrook. His performence as Ronald Franz in 'Into The Wild' was so sad and tearjerking, exspecially when he asks Emile Hirsch if he could adopt him as his grandfather. He should win.

Actress In A Leading Role:
Cate Blanchett - Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie - Away From Her
Marion Cotilliard - La Vie En Rose
Laura Linney - The Savages
Ellen Page - Juno

Tyler's Take: I would've chosen Linney or Page ('Juno' is hilarious), but bah-humbug insists I make Cotilliard the winner. So, bam.

Actress In A Supporting Role:
Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Ruby Dee - American Gangster
Saorise Ronan - Atonement
Amy Ryan - Gone Baby Gone
Tilda Swinton - Michael Clayton

Tyler's Take: Lol wut?!?! Where's Helena Bonham Carter? She makes people into meat pies in 'Sweeney Todd'? Get rid of Swinton and add her. Either way, unless the apocolypse is coming, Blanchett BETTER win. I mean, just consider the stretch she took playing that role...

Animated Feature Film:
Persepolis
Ratatouille
Surf's Up

Tyler's Take: Come on! Where's the 'Simpson's Movie'?! I'm boycotting this.

Cinematography:
The Assasination Of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
There Will Be Blood
Atonement
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
No Country For Old Men

Tyler's Take: Scratch 'Atonement' and add 'Into the Wild', also scratch 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly' for '3:10 To Yuma'. Either way, the movie that can win this is 'There Will Be Blood'. The cinematography is one of the best parts of the excellent movie.

Costume Design:
Across the Universe
Atonement
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
La Vie En Rose
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Tyler's Take: 'Sweeney Todd'. That's all. There is no other choice.

Directing:
The Diving Bell & the Butterfly
Juno
No Country For Old Men
There Will Be Blood
Michael Clayton

Tyler's Take: Not only should 'Into the Wild' (Sean Penn is the director), but it should also win. Get rid of 'Michael Clayton'. Also, get rid of 'Juno' for Tim Burten's masterpeice 'Sweeney Todd'. Bounce 'The Diving Bell and the Butterfly' for Todd Haynes' work in 'I'm Not There'. Atleast he took some chances. The winner should be Penn.

Documentry:
Sicko
War/Dance
Taxi To The Dark Side
No End In Sight
Operation Homecoming: Writing The Wartime Experience

Tyler's Take: Just give the award to Michael Moore right now for 'Sicko'.

Music(Score):
Atonement
The Kite Runner
3:10 To Yuma
Ratatouille
Michael Clayton

Tyler's Take: WHAT THE ****!? WHERE IS 'THERE WILL BE BLOOD'? Normally, I hate Radiohead. But, Johnny Greenwood did a great job with the score. The best out of this list is '3:10 To Yuma', but the best overall is 'There Will Be Blood'.

Music (Song):
Once
Enchanted
Enchanted
Enchanted
August Rush

Tyler's Take: This is the PISS-POORLY nominated category in the entire award's ceremony. Let me get this straight: You nominated three songs from 'Enchanted', but couldn't nominate any of Eddie Vedder's songs in 'Into the Wild'?!?! Any note from 'Into the Wild' is 1214124 times better than anything nominated.

Well, ladies and germs, those are my picks. Enjoy.

It's easier to read this way
<//////>~
Quote by SmarterChild
I loved it, although I can see how the ending would annoy some people.. I haven't seen There Will Be Blood yet though, so I might end up liking that more.

Yeah, I have yet to see There Will Be Blood as well. I think I might have to track it down tonight. I need to see it if I wish to really make an accurate prediction.
Quote by cloüd1
o yeah it works, but u could atleast use a different color

Or you could stop being lame and use UG Black like the majority of us. Conform damn you!
Ok, say there was an upset and DDL doesn't win Best Actor. Who would steal it from him?
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
Ok, say there was an upset and DDL doesn't win Best Actor. Who would steal it from him?

Depp maybe? I really couldn't tell you. I haven't really seen all of their performances. I have a little bit of movie watching to do between now and tomorrow night.
Quote by myself101

I've seen There Will Be Blood three times, and if he doesn't win Best Actor, I'm going to go ape****. I might just kill someone with, say, a bowling pin. Not only was his performance the best of the year, it's the best acting performance I've ever seen.

But, if someone where to upset him, I'd hope it would be Depp.
Quote by happytimeharry
Yeah, I have yet to see There Will Be Blood as well. I think I might have to track it down tonight. I need to see it if I wish to really make an accurate prediction.

Its ridiculously long. DDL played his part excellently. Although it had a rather interesting story, the plot wasn't too thick or intense, and I found the movie rather boring. I found myself hoping it would be over in some parts. It's just way too long. However, the ending is pretty good.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Even though I've only saw one of the films up for Best Picture (Juno, but, then again, I VERY rarely get to go to the movies. ), I think There Will Be Blood will win.

If I could pick a #2, though, it would be No Country For Old Men, if TWBB doesn't win, that will.

I really want to see both movies.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by bluesrocker101
Its ridiculously long. DDL played his part excellently. Although it had a rather interesting story, the plot wasn't too thick or intense, and I found the movie rather boring. I found myself hoping it would be over in some parts. It's just way too long. However, the ending is pretty good.

Yeah, it was REALLY long. But, honestly, I would have watched it for six hours, just to see some of the scenes it has.
The only movie I've seen in the best picture category is No Country for Old Men. Javier Bardem's character really creeped me out. And some of it takes place in my city!

Oh, can anyone recommend some good crime movies I can watch?
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Last edited by Soul Power at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by RHCP94
Yeah, it was REALLY long. But, honestly, I would have watched it for six hours, just to see some of the scenes it has.

Some parts were extremely well done. It definitely had its good moments.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Page 1 of 2