I'm considering purchasing a laptop mainly for recording and mixing my solostuff and also our band.

I'm not looking for anything professional: I'm keeping my budget as low as possible. I guess I'll be needing a recording software (not a problem) but I'm more concerned about phycical gear.

So...
- What requirements does a laptop have to be suitable for recording (specific inputs etc.) and what specs should it have (RAM 'n' stuff)?
- What other gear do I need to buy (certain types of mikes, adapters for the plugs etc.)?

I've got a allaround mike that I'd be prolly using, but how am I supposed to connect it to the computer. And should I somehow connect the guitar directly or rather place the mike in front of the amp?
Usb preamp, bare minimum 2 cahnnels. Also a direct in input is nice to have so you can record a direct recording.

Mics, Sm57's are the standard but feel free to try out other combo's

Mic cables

As far as computer macs are probally the best for recording but pc's are decent. As far as the exact specs it depends on storage how much editing you plan on doing and the usb hardware you purchase.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Usb preamp, bare minimum 2 cahnnels. Also a direct in input is nice to have so you can record a direct recording.

Mics, Sm57's are the standard but feel free to try out other combo's

Mic cables

As far as computer macs are probally the best for recording but pc's are decent. As far as the exact specs it depends on storage how much editing you plan on doing and the usb hardware you purchase.

+1

It's also good to get a laptop that has a proper hardware sound card instead of one that runs standard software sound. This can be recognised by things like "Creative" or "Live" in the description of the sound processor, but you can always ask someone to be sure. Having a better sound card means the computer can handle higher gain levels without distortion, which isn't so much of an issue when recording but it makes it much easier to listen to playbacks of your raw recordings as they wont distort.

A better sound processor will also let you use more effects and just generally increase the density of any sound you compose, whether through synthesis or recording. On software sound processors, doing this sort of thing tends to create distortion, though not always.
for the computer...go dual core at least 2.0 ghz

i second the sm57. but you might want to consider going all computer (no mics) for the solo stuff --> guitarport

anything m-audio is some solid stuff
I like my m-audio pre usb. Two channels with direct in as well and phanthom power. Also no power cable needed only usb. So if you need to record a gig or a practice jam somewere hell anywere with the laptop and that thing and a mic your good to go.