What effect does it have? My favourite musician is matt costa and he has duct tape over his acoustics sound hole??? why does it make it sound better or what? please help because i would like to get the sound that matt costa gets cos his guitar sounds amazing, here is a pic at this url ->PIC<-

Thanks
Scotty
My Gear
-----------------------
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Gould G-15 Practice amp(Loud though)
Behringer FX100
Wetern Acoustic
Spanish Acoustic
I would guess that he uses it to eliminate feedback from his electro acoustic.
Quote by gurg06
I would guess that he uses it to eliminate feedback from his electro acoustic.

This seems like the most reasonable explanation.
Also, Matt Costa is awesome.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
by blocking the sound hole, it gets rid of some of the natural bass sounds you hear. Cuz when the sound goes into the sound hole it bounces around in there which gives you your bass response in your sound.
ahh right then i shall try it, even though my acoustic isnt electric i will still try it to find a responce thanks, i didnt really wanna try it incase he did it as like some kind of repair job or something daft lol

thanks

Scotty
My Gear
-----------------------
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Gould G-15 Practice amp(Loud though)
Behringer FX100
Wetern Acoustic
Spanish Acoustic
Probably to control feedback...

http://www.music123.com/Planet-Waves-Screaching-Halt-Guitar-Soundhole-Plug-360746-i1387786.Music123

Must be too cheap to buy one for $8. That, or he likes the damage that putting duct tape on a guitar will actually do...
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
err... be careful about putting tape on a guitar finish. if you take it off, there will be that sticky residue. and yea.. it might damage your guitar finish.
ok well i personally met matt costa after a show. hes awesome and i asked him about the tape. he didnt really give me a clear explanation, i think he has add lol, but what i think he was saying is that it lessened the feedback from the guitar and gave it a warmer more mute sound. i tried it as soon as i got back to my place, and its a subtle difference when played normally but it sounds really good when plugged into the amp. you can play your notes more clearly without the previous notes 'outringing' the next. you may not get the crispiness that some may prefer but i certainly will use this technique for all my acoustic guitars.

oh and im seeing matt this sat at the music hall of williamsburg, cant wait!!!!
This isn't a new or original idea of Matt's. It's actually been around for quite a few years now. Here's one type of soundhole dampener:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Markley-The-Suppressor-Acoustic-Soundhole-Cover?sku=369300

I would certainly go this route before putting butt ugly duct tape over my soundhole. Not to mention the fact of what the tape will do to the finish.