I have an ESP F-50 with EMG 81/85's, and a Vox AD50VT amp.

1) The main thing I want is to just have a clear sound with no noise or anything. The built in noise reduction in my Vox helps, I also have a Boss NS-2 pedal which can help a little more but I really want it to be like guys you hear on stage where all that comes out is what they're playing, nothing else.

2) Particularly with the higher frets when it comes to soloing, the sound is not very good. It's more piercing than a nice warm tone. When i'm doing rhythm riffing stuff, it's not too bad but I can't seem to find anything to get the higher frets to sound good. I don't know if that's my guitar, the pickups in my guitar, or what. I've seen a lot of people bash active pickups and say passives give better tones. Seymore Duncan and DiMarzio i've seen praised most. Also, I've seen a few people mention the wood that the guitar is made of, my F-50 has a basswood body, maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. I've been looking at some of the more popular guitars like Gibson Les Paul and SG and they have mahogany bodies and necks. Should I be looking for a guitar that has mahogany?
This is completely off topic. but I want a Vox AD50VT SO BAD.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
emgs will not be as warm as passive pickups, not ifs ands or buts about it,if you want a les paul tone, get a les paul, or a guitar with similar specs
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
yes,basswood isn't that great
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Shifty155
This is completely off topic. but I want a Vox AD50VT SO BAD.

they are awsome
My Gear:
Jay Turser Warlock
Baraccuda Strat
Takamine EG523SC
Samick Acoustic
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS-1
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I have a vox ad50vt and a similar guitar

agathis... that's a problem
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Quote by MacAdam
yes,basswood isn't that great

There's nothing particularly wrong with basswood.

Some companies like Ibanez use it on a lot of there high-end models, too.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
however, you're using a 200 dollar guitar on stage?
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Basswood doesn't sound particularly great, especially the low-grade stuff you find in cheaper guitars like LTDs.
The EMG 85/81 weren't designed for a warm tone, if you want an EMG with a warm tone, try the 60 in the neck, it sounds incredible.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
heads up... but the ESP f-50 has an agathis body
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Links 2 3 4: No i'm not in a band or anything, i'm just a perfectionist with everything and hearing all this extra stuff compared to people i watch play really annoys me.

I know I probably should be getting a new guitar anyway it being a cheap $200 one. As far as what sound or tone i'm after, i recently got Kreator's Live Kreation DVD and I just completely fell in love with what I was hearing from Mille Petrozza. I looked up his equipment and he plays a Jackson Randy Rhoads and Jackson King V.

Now I was looking on Musiciansfriend and i'm definitely not getting the $1,000+ ones haha but I compared some of the specs. I really like the look of the Jackson KVX10 X King V, it's only $499.99. Compared to the KV2 King V which is at least $2,000. They both have alder bodies and maple necks. The only difference is the KV2 has an ebony fingerboard and the KVX10 has rosewood. The KVX10 has HB1012 and HB103 Seymore Duncan humbuckers compared to the KV2's SH4 and TB4's. If I got the KVX10, would I be getting at least closer to a clear sound?
Quote by blackenedESP
Links 2 3 4: No i'm not in a band or anything, i'm just a perfectionist with everything and hearing all this extra stuff compared to people i watch play really annoys me.

I know I probably should be getting a new guitar anyway it being a cheap $200 one. As far as what sound or tone i'm after, i recently got Kreator's Live Kreation DVD and I just completely fell in love with what I was hearing from Mille Petrozza. I looked up his equipment and he plays a Jackson Randy Rhoads and Jackson King V.

Now I was looking on Musiciansfriend and i'm definitely not getting the $1,000+ ones haha but I compared some of the specs. I really like the look of the Jackson KVX10 X King V, it's only $499.99. Compared to the KV2 King V which is at least $2,000. They both have alder bodies and maple necks. The only difference is the KV2 has an ebony fingerboard and the KVX10 has rosewood. The KVX10 has HB1012 and HB103 Seymore Duncan humbuckers compared to the KV2's SH4 and TB4's. If I got the KVX10, would I be getting at least closer to a clear sound?

was gona say. I don't think I'd use my F-250 on stage... MAYBE as a backup.

I'm getting the jackson King V, but the lower model. Only difference is a fixed bridge really. Was 300 new... So that's a steal
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Yeah i was looking at that one too. The KVX10 has the Floyd Rose tremolo which i really know nothing about other than i want it ha. I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to a lot of the stuff, i've only been playing for about a year. This is a little off topic but what exactly do people mean when they say it has a fast neck?
i would think that humbuckers would help
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
No... It has the liscenced... well my f-250 is the same as your f-50, but with better pickups, and a floyd rose... the quality is bad. Get an OFR, if you're going with a tremolo
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Official I believe it's called

official or original... I forget
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
So would getting the KVX10 clear up my sound more do you think? My amp has built in noise reduction and I have a Boss NS-2 pedal as well but like i said, they're not really getting it done. They help, but it's not where I want it to be. Someone recommended the ISP Decimator and MXR Smart Gate. Anybody have any experience with those? And what do people mean when they say a guitar has a fast neck?
Last edited by blackenedESP at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by blackenedESP
So would getting the KVX10 clear up my sound more do you think? My amp has built in noise reduction and I have a Boss NS-2 pedal as well but like i said, they're not really getting it done. They help, but it's not where I want it to be. Someone recommended the ISP Decimator and MXR Smart Gate. Anybody have any experience with those? And what do people mean when they say a guitar has a fast neck?

OFR = Original Floyd Rose.

When people say fast neck they usually mean a thin neck, ideal for quick movements up and down it. Although this is subjective, as i'm faster with slightly larger/thicker necks.

I don't have any experience with noise reduction, just thought i'd put that out.
lower the gain.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
I've tried lowering the gain. It does help a bit but the point is to have a lot of gain or distortion and still have the clear sound, like I mentioned about the Kreator DVD. If I lower the gain too much, it starts going to the clean tone which i do not want.

I've been playing slowly and listening carefully to when exactly that noise comes about and it's mostly when i let go of a string. Say I fret 5 on the A string and then i have to go to 12 on the D string immediately after. Once I let go of that 5th fret and move my hand to get to 12, it'll ring. So my notes are carrying over a lot and mixing into each other, making it sound bad. I'm not a pro at muting things but I do use it as often as I can. Either these guys are muting things almost all the time, or I need to change something with my setup. Whether it be my guitar or something else.

I've been looking at these ridiculously expensive rack mounted noise gates that are like $1,000. Is that how these guys are clearing up their sounds so much?
Quote by Silky Smooth
Lower output pickups would help alot

EMG's are quieter than most other pickups, that was the point to EMG's in the beginning. More output was extra credit.

If you are having a little bit of hum or hiss, feedback or static going on there are a few things to try.

-If your amp has more than one ground loop, you can try the other settings to see if it helps any.
-Try plugging in a room with less electronics on at once, or a room without florescent lighting.
-Plugging into a powerstrip instead of directly into the wall helps in some cases.
-ESP's 50 series aren't built to well, the guitar could be improperly grounded, or could have been shielded poorly.
-Better cables help as well
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by blackenedESP
I've tried lowering the gain. It does help a bit but the point is to have a lot of gain or distortion and still have the clear sound, like I mentioned about the Kreator DVD. If I lower the gain too much, it starts going to the clean tone which i do not want.

I've been playing slowly and listening carefully to when exactly that noise comes about and it's mostly when i let go of a string. Say I fret 5 on the A string and then i have to go to 12 on the D string immediately after. Once I let go of that 5th fret and move my hand to get to 12, it'll ring. So my notes are carrying over a lot and mixing into each other, making it sound bad. I'm not a pro at muting things but I do use it as often as I can. Either these guys are muting things almost all the time, or I need to change something with my setup. Whether it be my guitar or something else.

I've been looking at these ridiculously expensive rack mounted noise gates that are like $1,000. Is that how these guys are clearing up their sounds so much?

Looks like you need to improve your muting techniques. Guitarists mute all the time. You can't just let open strings ring like that.

A good cable also helps if you have a lot of background noise. What cable are you using?

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

MESAexplorer: something i noticed while installing my EMG's, the manual said not to connect the bridge ground wire because it may cause reverse polarity shock. should i maybe try it to see what happens then? thanks for the suggestions, i'll give them a try. my room is full of electronics and stuff so i'll see how it sounds in like the living room or something. as far as the guitar being improperly grounded and/or shielded, how would i go about checking/fixing that? would it just be easier getting the new guitar i'm talking about?

p.stick: like i said, i do mute quite often and as far as notes go, i know which ones i want to mute and not to mute. i just didn't realize how much you had to mute things away from what you're actually playing. i have a cheap Audio Technica cable. hopefully getting a better quality cable helps a lot. are there any particular ones you recommend? i'm seeing some range into $30-$40, thought that was pretty insane for a cable. i think mine was $7.99 ha. but if it helps my problem, i'd dish it out in a heart beat. i'm looking at this Vox one, seems to have good reviews. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Premium-Vintage-Coil-Guitar-Cable?sku=330241
Cable can make a huge difference. I won't get one just yet if you are not playing live or anything. How long have you had that cable for? If it is more than 3 years old, throw it away and get a new one. If not, then just use it for the time being.

Anyway. Monster cables are suppose to be the best ones. I use DiMarzio and Planet Wave cables. They are all good quality.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

no i'm not in a band or anything, just a hobby. the cable is about a year old. you say the cable can make a huge difference though so it probably wouldn't hurt to get a better quality one either way.
Quote by MESAexplorer
EMG's are quieter than most other pickups, that was the point to EMG's in the beginning. More output was extra credit.
l

Quieter but certainly not lower output

You can always add more gain after the guitar but the reverse isn't true. If you don't have a clean signal sent out in the first place your tone won't be very clear at all.
well, i just got a response back from the support people at Musiciansfriend.com and he said it really could be anything from the wall outlet itself, to the lights in the room, guitar, cable, and everything in between. he recommended i try a better noise gate/suppressor. the noise reducer in my amp does a decent job. my Boss pedal really cuts out a lot of crap too, the hissing and all that. i'm just more concerned about the extra stuff i get when i'm letting go of strings, that's my main concern. if i just have to polish my muting skills a ****load more then i guess that's what i'll do but i want to kill as much noise as i can as well.
I'm surprised you're getting much noise at all if you have two suppression systems running. It's gotta be your muting then thats the only thing I can imagine.
i'm not running 2 really. i've just tried using both of them to see if it'd help, which it does. but if i ran both of them, i wouldn't be able to do much other than picking. hammering on, pulling off, tapping, etc... all that doesn't work. the sound is killed almost immediately. i know that's all on how i have the suppression tweaked but that's my problem. i can't find that sweet spot where the noise is cut out but i can still do a little more than just picking.
Last edited by blackenedESP at Feb 24, 2008,
Do you have a mic? Maybe you could record what the guitar sounds like so we can hear
no i don't, sorry. i think i found something i'm pretty decent with. running both the Boss pedal and the built in noise reducer. i might pick up that G String pedal when it comes out, that Decimator seems to be getting a lot of praise and this one is supposed to take it a step further. i'll still check out the other things you guys recommended as well. thanks for the help everybody.
ok, i have some new information/questions. i've been working on muting and stuff, slowing things down to get a better technique, i'm learning. anyway, i turned on my amp and was hooking up my cables and stuff. with a cable in the amp and not connected to anything else on the other end, there was massive amounts of noise. more so if i touched it or brought it closer to some of the electronics in my room (tv, cable box, etc...). i was gonna try hooking it up in the living room but none of the outlets are 3 prong and i don't have any free surge protectors. but getting all that noise with the guitar unplugged, is that normal? if not, i'm assuming it's from a combination of the electronic stuff in my room and maybe a cheap cable. i'm gonna try and get it hooked up in my living room where there is basically nothing but furniture and see what i get out there.

edit: didn't change having it hooked up in the living room.
Last edited by blackenedESP at Feb 26, 2008,
All cables do that. If it bothers you, use a Planet Waves circuit breaker cable, you just push a button near the jack and all signal from the cable goes dead. Press it again and it comes back.
Also, you may want to try SD Blackouts. It says on their box that they are specially deisgned to cut back on noise like that and better at doing so than their "competitors" (I'm assuming they mean EMG).
I've never used them so I can't vouch for them but I thought you might find it helpful.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
thanks Ichimaru. i plan on getting a new guitar sometime soon so i'm not going to buy them just yet. if i'm unhappy with the stop pickups in the new guitar (which i believe are Seymore Duncan's) i'll pick up the Blackouts.