Page 1 of 2
I have a really big question to ask you guys, should i learn music theory? My guitar teacher said that after i learn triads i will be able to learn music theory. I have been playing guitar for about 9 months and i have been taking lessons for 9 months. i usually never practice what my teacher tells me to practice (except scales, , chords and stuff). I just mess around on the guitar for hours. I learn most of my songs by ear, and i knew about triads before my teacher taught them to me. ( i just didn't know what they were called). I have asked my family if i should continue guitar lessons and my sister said if i would like to be a musician i should continue and learn theory. But i think i already know some theory i just don't know the names. for example i know that an open eadg or b string is the same on the 12th fret. i think those are called octaves or something.

Anyway enough about me, i just want to know two things:
What is the point of music Theory?

Should i continue taking lessons and learn music theory?
Also are there any musicians who dont know music theory, besides hendrix?
learn an alot of theroy. it is what i do and it makes your playing alot more interesting.

pretty much just learn some,
Quote by rodyrdz
1. to make your own music
2. of course

I already make my own music, like when im at school i'll hum something, like a guitar riff or solo, to myself and keep it in my head all day and then i'll make the hum sound like a guitar and then I'll play it by ear.
yes, i see theory as being essential to playing guitar
it takes no skill to accidently stumble across a riff.
theory allows you write your own

There are a couple of legitimate answers to this question, but the all inclusive one would be "to communicate."

In short...

Music theory exists so that one musician may communicate to another musician in words and writing, preceding any actual musical listening, the ideas and concepts behind their music, and how to perform it. Music theory not only seeks to create a standard, but also to find general "theories" or forms of analysis to describe and understand music in a deeper more universally applicable form.
Quote by Erc
There are a couple of legitimate answers to this question, but the all inclusive one would be "to communicate."

In short...

Music theory exists so that one musician may communicate to another musician in words and writing, preceding any actual musical listening, the ideas and concepts behind their music, and how to perform it. Music theory not only seeks to create a standard, but also to find general "theories" or forms of analysis to describe and understand music in a deeper more universally applicable form.

ya
but i think i already understand music, kinda. Another question:
Do you have to know how to read music to learn music theory?
Quote by Guitar_Jacob766
but i think i already understand music, kinda. Another question:
Do you have to know how to read music to learn music theory?

theory IS understanding music - if you don't know it then you don't really understand anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes and no. Reading music makes learning theory easier, but there are things you can learn without knowing how to site read. You do have to be familiar with note names, how intervals work, etc. Or else it will be a nightmare.
Last edited by confusius at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by Guitar_Jacob766
I have a really big question to ask you guys, should i learn music theory? My guitar teacher said that after i learn triads i will be able to learn music theory. I have been playing guitar for about 9 months and i have been taking lessons for 9 months. i usually never practice what my teacher tells me to practice (except scales, , chords and stuff). I just mess around on the guitar for hours. I learn most of my songs by ear, and i knew about triads before my teacher taught them to me. ( i just didn't know what they were called). I have asked my family if i should continue guitar lessons and my sister said if i would like to be a musician i should continue and learn theory. But i think i already know some theory i just don't know the names. for example i know that an open eadg or b string is the same on the 12th fret. i think those are called octaves or something.

so you never practice what your teacher tells you, AND the things he taught you, you already knew.... AND youve been playing less than a year ???AND you want to know if you should study theory?

heres the real question: if your teacher did teach you theory, would you pay attention and practice what he/she tells you to practice? Or would you think you know it all already, and just keep messing around instead?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 23, 2008,
Yeah, you really should learn it.

If you come up with a great riff, or a great chord progression (personally I find theory helps more with progressions than riffs), that's great, but theory will let you understand WHY it sounds good. So you know what will sound good before and after it, and how to do something similar again in the future.

Also, if you ever want to improvise anything, theory will help you a lot there too. Rather than having to know what each chord is that's being played, if you know what key the backing is in, you could just solo over it whatever the chords are, because you know what you're playing will fit (well, pretty much, anyway).

Oh, and start practising what your teacher tells you to, they tell you to do things for a reason. You won't improve if you don't push yourself, and if you push yourself it will often be hard and boring, but you'll get to where you want to be.
Quote by one vision
Yes you should, depends whether you want to be a guitarist or a musician.

Yowza!!

Compare knowing music to knowing cars. If you can take stuff off and put stuff back together, do you really know how to fix cars? Knowing theory is like knowing how the car actually works, so you can take it apart and put it back together with purpose.

It's also like learning grammar, syntax, and punctuation. Just because a monkey can be trained to type the National anthem, does it really means he knows how to communicate effectively?

Yes, knowing theory can ONLY be a help.

That's not to say that NOT knowing theory means you're screwed. I know a guy who has two gold records on his wall, Juno award (like a Canadian Grammy) nomination (or recipient... can't remember), he's endorsed by Lado guitars, and has a variety of other industry-type accolades. He can't read music. He can't tell you that the third string at the 11th fret is an F#. He DOES have a brilliant ear, great technique (shred like crazy), and a very solid sense of melody and arrangement.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 23, 2008,
Lulz muzic thoery IZ for fagz... lollll!!!!111111

(insert generic guitar player's name here) doeznt no his theory and he is teh BrOOTalZZZ

this thread is killing me....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

theory is merely guidelines for composing, it tells you what will sound like what, so that when im at school, and something pops into my head, i know exactly what kind of scale it is, and i can figure out the standard notation for it within 5 minutes

but like i said, theyre guidelines, they do not limit you in ANY way
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
I would have to say, hell yes learn music theory. Alot of people say "page and hendrix didnt know theory and they made great music, so why should I". Well first of all, these guys knew ALOT of theory, hendrix especially. But in the cases where the artist doesnt know alot of thoery (blues, alot of rock), they still know some theory, and are simply implementing the amount of theory they know, whether it be alot of ur basic I IV V stuff.
i say hell no. sounds like you THINK you already know it all anyways and if your teacher were to teach you, you wouldn't listen. let him/her spend their time on someone deserving of the knowledge and improve and enrich their life. obviously you don't wanna learn it, so don't.
z4twenny ftw! OUCH!

CT

Quote by Guitar_Jacob766

You need at least a small amount of theory behind you to play well. E.G. you're with a band and they ask you to improvise over a song in the key of A. Ready? 1 2 3 4. Without theory you're going to be stood there like a lemon.
If you can afford it continue taking lessons and take advantage of them, this meaning LISTEN AND LEARN what you teacher is telling and teaching you, otherwise it is just a waste of both of ya'll's time.
If the teachers giving it to you, then use it to your advantage. I say learn it, why not? I mean just because other musicians can do it doesn't mean much. Give them a piece of sheet music and I bet they can't read it. Theory is made to help you understand music so you can vary your sounds. Most band just use power chords and the I, IV, V chords and the simple 12 bar blues stuff. If you wanna go above and beyond, learn theory. We all have some good sense of constant( consadense?) sounds and dissant sp? sounds, but you wanna be better than the average Joe.
Quote by akaDan
You need at least a small amount of theory behind you to play well. E.G. you're with a band and they ask you to improvise over a song in the key of A. Ready? 1 2 3 4. Without theory you're going to be stood there like a lemon.

i think a is on the 5th fret 6th string, so i would just use scales on that root. right? or do i have it completly wrong?
Quote by Guitar_Jacob766
i think a is on the 5th fret 6th string, so i would just use scales on that root. right? or do i have it completly wrong?

Your information isn't wrong, just very very very very very very very limited. Read the theory sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
What is the point of music Theory? - Basically for somgwriting.

Should i continue taking lessons and learn music theory? - If you want to be a musician.

Also are there any musicians who dont know music theory, besides hendrix? - I'm almost sure that the answer to that is no. I'm also pretty sure Hendrix had, at least, SOME theory knowledge.

And uhh...knowing the notes is NOT knowing music theory. You have minimal theory knowledge. Not bad but...well minimal is minimal...if you want to call yourself a true musician I say, LEARN IT! It will be boring as hell but it will help your playing and your songwriting skills.

I've been playing for several years and I don't know theory...I need a teacher to teach this stuff to me. Consider yourself a blessed man.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Well you need to know how many sharps are in the key of A, which is 3. So you can use the root, third, fifth, major 7th notes of that chord, which is A, C#, E, D# or the I, IV, V chords. Nothing to complex until you know more into theory, then you can do a lot more variations.
Well you need to know how many sharps are in the key of A, which is 3. So you can use the root, third, fifth, major 7th notes of that chord, which is A, C#, E, D# or the I, IV, V chords.

Unless you are plaing A minor...

Quote by z4twenny
i say hell no. sounds like you THINK you already know it all anyways and if your teacher were to teach you, you wouldn't listen. let him/her spend their time on someone deserving of the knowledge and improve and enrich their life. obviously you don't wanna learn it, so don't.

Man harsh...

Quote by guitarist10
Unless you are plaing A minor...

A minor has no sharps or flats.
Music theory just describes various devices in music, be it notes, rhythms, chords, etcetera. If you know how those things are described, you can call on them in your own writing whenever you want, rather than plunking around hoping that something good will come out.

Threads like this make me feel embarrassed to be a human being.
Last edited by CowboyUp at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by guitarist10
Man harsh...

no, it was honest. he was making it sound like he already had theory all figured out and theres no reason for him to take it. he also said he doesn't do his lessons that his guitar teacher gives him. if he doesn't practice the simple stuff how the hell is he gonna practice the hard stuff? i say screw him and give me the guitar lessons.
Quote by z4twenny

LOL.... was thinking the same thing.
shred is gaudy music
Page 1 of 2