Well after finally finding out what the term "to scoop your mids" was I realized I do it.

The mids knob on my head is at about... 9 o'clock... and the middle bands on my 6 band EQ are the lowest out of all of them.

But the thing is, I like my tone like this, but its also the reason I havn't been cutting through the mix. So can I get the same tone without scooping the mids? how would I go about this? Or do I have to settle for a different tone so I can be heard?

Thanks alot.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
think of it this way:

cymbals of drums=treble
bass guitar=bass of course

what do you need to fill in? mids.
Quote by s.r.v.
think of it this way:

cymbals of drums=treble

Ah thankyou, that was pretty clever actually

But i love my tone with my mids scooped

I LOVE KENSAI
ehhh, scooped mids are ok some times, generaly you can play metal good with it and anything lower will just sound much like garbage, so you might want to just add a touch of mids to your tone.
How much do you scoop them by?
And what amp do you have? For instance, the 6505 and Mesa Mark IV have LOADS of mids to throw out, so you can still scoop them a bit whilst cutting through the mix, just so long as it's not something like...
Bass: 10
Middle: 0
Treble: 10
Gain: 10
Volume: 11!!1!!0101!0!h4x1!
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by s.r.v.
think of it this way:

cymbals of drums=treble

yeah you've got to remember that the guitar is a midrange is instrument
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by TUMFP
Haha. You think that's cool, my Peavey goes to 12.

Where is this amplifier of wonderment???
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Remember kids, if you EQ looks like this your audience will look like this

As you've probably guess..im not a fan of scooped mids.sound horrible in my opinion
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Quote by Yngwi3
And what amp do you have? For instance, the 6505 and Mesa Mark IV have LOADS of mids to throw out, so you can still scoop them a bit whilst cutting through the mix, just so long as it's not something like...

Well i have a Randall VMAX Head. I think there out of production now.

Gain - 8
Bass - 7
Mids - 3
Treble - 7

Presence - 8

And my EQ on my amp.

*    |    |    |    |    |
 |    |    |    |    |    |
 |    |    *    *    |    |

I LOVE KENSAI
Quote by Yngwi3

how about...

bass: 10
mids: 1
treble:10

that's how i like it...

oh right, threadstater... from here it seems like you're scooping them too much, but it doesn't really matter unless you need to cut through your band's mix. and if you up the mids a bit, with all the other noise going around, you're probably not gonna be dissatisfied with your tone that much.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Hmm...bassy much?
I havn't heard of that amp...I don't know how this'll sound, but TRY this, this is more or less what I have on my 6505+

|    |    *    *    |    |
 *    *    |    |    |    |
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

yeah 3 or 4 on the mids is about right for me. The tone sounds brutal and it still cuts through fine. I keep mine on 3 on my 6505. If I turn them up to 6 or something it starts sounding twangy and I get feedback... Turn them down to 3 i dont get any feedback and it sounds brutal. Don't scoop them all the way but 3 or 4 will do the trick usually. And if it doesn't then just put them on 5... until you are heard in the mix. But also remember if you have a hard hitting drummer and a small amp and stuff like that (because i dont know what amp you got) then even with a lot of mids it can still be hard to be heard. My drummer beats the hell out of the cymbals and even when i had my mids at 6 sometimes id have to turn the volume up to be heard. But now I keep them on 3 and my volume up and everything sounds cool.
Quote by paranormal5150
yeah 3 or 4 on the mids is about right for me.

Hmm...I'll have to try that in a band situation....
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Yngwi3
Hmm...bassy much?
I havn't heard of that amp...I don't know how this'll sound, but TRY this, this is more or less what I have on my 6505+

| | | | | |
| | * * | |
* * | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |

Yeah just what i thought would happen

i'll cut through the mix but it doesnt sound as good.

I LOVE KENSAI
hmm...
Well if you're cutting through the mix at the moment with your current settings and you like the tone then there's no reason for you to change it really
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

works for me in a band situations and some of my favorite bands dont even use as many mids as i use and it still sounds brutal.
ok ive had a bit of a fiddle around and i finally got something which i'm happy with, my mids are at about 6 now and the middle to band are pretty high on the EQ.

Its also the best Killswitch tone

Thanks for your help everyone.

I LOVE KENSAI