If it is advertised as 50/100 watt there should be a switch to flip it. The tube removal, I am not experienced with but, I have heard some negative feedback about the shortcut.
Well tubes last a long time man. I mean you shouldn't be that worried about using them up. I see that a lot here. I mean it's not like changing strings. They can last you years.
I understand that. The thing is, two of them are already dead, with the others on their way. I'm waiting to get new ones I ordered, and I still want to use my amp in the mean time, also, as I said, I wouldn't want to keep buying 4 tubes when I only need 2.
You need four. The half power switch cuts out two of the tubes. The others still glow but they are not getting DC power so their life is not being reduced significantly. You cannot pull two and then use it on the half power switch because half of that pair will be gone.
You could use only two power tubes but you would only have one wattage option (50 watt output with the selector on 100).
Ok...so if I put the selector on 100 and pull any of the 2 pairs (insides,outsides), it would then work at 50? And if not, I don't suppose you'd know which pair would be being used, would you, because if you did, I could just swap the "other pair" to the "used spot" when the "used ones" went out and replace the ones in the "other pair's" spot.
Just don't bother pulling tubes at all.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Axeman99
Just don't bother pulling tubes at all.

+1
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by CallmeTravis
Ok...so if I put the selector on 100 and pull any of the 2 pairs (insides,outsides), it would then work at 50? And if not, I don't suppose you'd know which pair would be being used, would you, because if you did, I could just swap the "other pair" to the "used spot" when the "used ones" went out and replace the ones in the "other pair's" spot.

Look, if you have only two power tubes in the amp, the 50 and 100w settings will be identical, minus an impedance mismatch in the 100w mode. If you only want to buy two tubes, figure out which two the switch cuts out and then replace that pair. Then just use the 50w setting. Then only the new tubes will be in the audio path.
Quote by Roc8995
Look, if you have only two power tubes in the amp, the 50 and 100w settings will be identical, minus an impedance mismatch in the 100w mode. If you only want to buy two tubes, figure out which two the switch cuts out and then replace that pair. Then just use the 50w setting. Then only the new tubes will be in the audio path.

Ok, thanks. That's what I was trying to say, but I couldn't word it.