Alrighty then you Satch, vai, and all instrumental fans, i have a question for you. I would like to learn a new song that will improve my soloing/playing skillz, and i have come to the conclusion it would be an instrumental.

What would be a good instrumental for me to learn?

I have been playing for 1 and one-half years coming up on two, but i'm much better than the typical 1 and a half year guitarist. i know august burns red, van halen, steely dan, ozzy osbourne (crazy train) and such. I can improv very well and can write solos. So i want a challenge but nothing excessive. any suggestions will be appreciated.
Spanks
Metallica instrumentals are easy and fun to play...Call of Ktulu, Orion and To Live Is To Die
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Metallica instrumentals are easy and fun to play...Call of Ktulu, Orion and To Live Is To Die

+1 i was about to say if you want an instrumental that is like not some shredfest or full of impossible solos but are just fun to play then learn metallica
"I just want to conquer people and their souls."
-Mike Tyson
Quote by Ghold125
curse of the castle dragon; paul gilbert

Yeah, I've learnt a few licks from that song.

It's challenging but good if you want an introduction to Shred guitar, I mean I start slow and then build up to the speed on the recording.
Quote by BladeSlinger

Yep, +1

Awesome songs
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
just go for the hangar 18 solo
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath.

Perhaps not as complex as some of the other songs suggested but (IMO atleast) a better choice. Will definately help you with your phrasing. Plus it sounds ****ING AMAZING..
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Planet Caravan by Black Sabbath.

Perhaps not as complex as some of the other songs suggested but (IMO atleast) a better choice. Will definately help you with your phrasing. Plus it sounds ****ING AMAZING..

Planet Caravan is such an awesome song, yet it receives so little attention.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Planet Caravan is such an awesome song, yet it receives so little attention.

Tell me about it! My all time favourite Sabbath song. Yet to learn it tho, too much on the proverbial plate to take on another song (especially one as unique as that)

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
Tell me about it! My all time favourite Sabbath song. Yet to learn it tho, too much on the proverbial plate to take on another song (especially one as unique as that)

I know exactly what you mean. I'm currently learning Mr Crowley, Hangar 18, For the Love of God, and Silent Night, Bodom Night, in order of difficulty, and I'm having enough trouble getting those down without distracting myself.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
I know exactly what you mean. I'm currently learning Mr Crowley, Hangar 18, For the Love of God, and Silent Night, Bodom Night, in order of difficulty, and I'm having enough trouble getting those down without distracting myself.

I think I have ADD when it comes to learning songs. Every time I come on UG I crank some music and end up going "oo this would be fun to learn to play" to every other song, bloody UG with all their accessible tabs! Damn you!

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Check out Rio:Marty Friedman

Nothing too scary, apart from one appegio, but some great phrasing and lickery in it..... Fun to improvise with some diminished licks too...
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
One word, Skinflute.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Far Beyond the Sun by Yngwie is good and either A Last Illusion or Beethoven by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
some of the best instrumentals are actually those of the older rock era:
Scorpions : coast to coast
Michael Schenker : into the arena
Quiet riot : Battle Axe
Randy Rhoad's spotlight solo (on the tribute album of Ozzy Osbourne, song "Suicide Solution")
Scorpions : Intro to "sails of charon" ... godfather of shred