So as I have become increasingly more interested in metal, I am looking into upgrading my MIM Strat for a better metal sound.

I love my American Deluxe for just about everything except the high-output sound that can come with high output pickups. I want to keep the American Deluxe stock and possibly replace my MIM's pickups with an EMG -S/SA set.

I know it would be a better idea to go out and buy myself a Jackson or another guitar built for metal, but I just don't really have the cash to do that. Is this a good idea? Should I be looking somewhere different for pickups?

thoughts?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
So as I have become increasingly more interested in metal, I am looking into upgrading my MIM Strat for a better metal sound.

I love my American Deluxe for just about everything except the high-output sound that can come with high output pickups. I want to keep the American Deluxe stock and possibly replace my MIM's pickups with an EMG -S/SA set.

I know it would be a better idea to go out and buy myself a Jackson or another guitar built for metal, but I just don't really have the cash to do that. Is this a good idea? Should I be looking somewhere different for pickups?

thoughts?

EMG single coils wont help much for metal playing. If you want to, I'd suggest Dimarzio or SD rail pickups. Those are relatively high output. I have a Fast Track 2 in my strat and I like it.
I have 2 SD Hot Rails in my MIM, great sound. Don't do EMGs you'll lose the cleans.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
dont put emgs in your strat please
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
put an 85 in the bridge. your strat should have a cut space for a humbucker.

i got an 85 recently, great clarity, not too much distortion, better harmonics. its amazing

but for metal on your amp, youll ned a good od. like a tubescreamer

Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I have 2 SD Hot Rails in my MIM, great sound. Don't do EMGs you'll lose the cleans.

bull****. i love my cleans
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

If i were to get these http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=9&TempID=10&DepartmentID=1&STRID=193813&CategorySubID=213&CategoryID=213&BrandID=1538&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

would i need to get a set of 3? you said that you have 2, which positions are they in?

Edit: i see bridge and neck in your sig... did you just leave a single coil in the middle?
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Last edited by SoccerRM1 at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by SoccerRM1
If i were to get these http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=9&TempID=10&DepartmentID=1&STRID=193813&CategorySubID=213&CategoryID=213&BrandID=1538&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&SortMethod=3&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

would i need to get a set of 3? you said that you have 2, which positions are they in?

Edit: i see bridge and neck in your sig... did you just leave a single coil in the middle?

That would be a humbucker, your not gonna fit 3 in your strat. You only need that in the bridge position if you have a humbucker cut-out in your strat, if not maybe some routing and a new pickguard.
Quote by Useful_Idiot16

Tell that to David Gilmour
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
Quote by poopsmith666
Tell that to David Gilmour

i think we would all agree his tone isnt what it used to be.