Long story short, I've been asked to join a university mate's band as a live player and maybe a full member - Even though I'm hardly heavily into black metal myself, but got introduced to it through him & I enjoy the sound & should be able to pull it off. I've got the perfect guitar already, but needs a new bridge (looking to get a black Strat style trem for that to cover the hole where a lame Floyd used to live), but I havebn;t the foggiest on pickups. Thinking for an amp if I get a good marshall valve & a very hi-end distortion pedal I'll be fine, but haven't the foggiest where to go in this very murky realm (no pun intended)
Any words and/or hinters will be greatly appreciated/rewarded with e-cookies (if you really want )
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
I replaced one of the pickups in one of my guitars with an EMG-81 active pickup. It has a great crunch and is perfect for metal or lead guitar playing, however, it isn't a great pickup for clean sound. As far as metal goes, it is great for that. It does require a 9-volt battery so you have to make sure that you have somewhere inside the guitar to put that.

Good luck man!

Cheers
no offence if you have a good valve amp. But is the MG in your sig your "valve" amp?

EDIT. I'm sorry I misread that
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by CanCan
Good gear and grimness don't go along.

I'm Sorry, but slightly confused as to what you mean?
EDIT:
Quote by Bostonrocks
no offence if you have a good valve amp. But is the MG in your sig your "valve" amp?

EDIT. I'm sorry I misread that

you've got to be kidding me. No no - when I get my next loan I'm gonna go hunting for a proper vale amp. the MG maybe be loud enough for gigs, but if I do finish up with installing active EMG's, than a solid state amp won't get me my full moneys' worth.
The rig:
Newcastle United
Last edited by Korzack at Feb 23, 2008,
y would u wanna change a FR to a strat style trem?...sereously why the hell would u wanna do that? especially for metal
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by Korzack
Thinking for an amp if I get a good marshall valve & a very hi-end distortion pedal I'll be fine

Why Marshall?
You COULD do it with a Marshall, but it could be far easier with another amp.
How much do you have to spend? And are you willing to go used?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by albinokrikit
y would u wanna change a FR to a strat style trem?...sereously why the hell would u wanna do that? especially for metal

Just posted first replies before you came on - Because they're just too much hassle, in my opinion. I still want a tremolo system on the guitar, but I just didn't enjoy any of the time I spent trying to convince my floyd to stay right and failing.
And budget... Seriously, how much are pickups really going to cost? I can guess with GAk that a set of EMG's would be no more than £150-200, and for the amp I'm working at £4-600, but for the amp I could really use a bit more versatility than 'very loud metal noise' Sorry, should've been mroe concise in my first post, but thanks for reminding me
The rig:
Newcastle United
hhm...How versatile do you need this said amp to be?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
if u want a good pedal, boss does a great job as far as distortion. check this one out
i know it says metal core, but trust me, ive used it, its for black and death metal

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ML2-Metal-Core-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150216

as far as pick-ups. use EMGz. they are great pick-ups for metal. active is probably the way to go, but u can try passive ones. i have a bass with passive EMGs and i think they wrk fine

i know a lot of black metal bands use ESP guitars. ive played a lot of them. they make signiture models for bands like behemoth and devil driver. i luv ESP guitars. u should check them out too.

anything else u need as far as gear i can help u out with

good luck
-that guy
Well I'm starting a Rock band of my own - sorta hard rock/Punkish thing - think a GnR meets Motorhead feel. If something like that won't be possible, could you recommend any stomp-bocxes that'll help me? I know about the digitech death metal pedal, but I'm a complete novice when it comes to really heavy gear.
The rig:
Newcastle United
For a black metal amp get a used Peavey 5150 combo, for pups get some EMGs, and skip the pedal.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Okay, cool - I like the idea of the 5150 as that'd work with the other band as well. And as for EMG's - any particular combos? After a brief thumb-through thinking the 81/85 combo would be ideal. Had a look at the 89 but don't really think I'll need coil tap, no matter how hi-power it'll be to have the single coil on tap if need be.
The rig:
Newcastle United
[quote="hiimwilson2010]if u want a good pedal, boss does a great job as far as distortion. check this one out
i know it says metal core, but trust me, ive used it, its for black and death metal
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ML2-Metal-Core-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150216

as far as pick-ups. use EMGz. they are great pick-ups for metal. active is probably the way to go, but u can try passive ones. i have a bass with passive EMGs and i think they wrk fine

i know a lot of black metal bands use ESP guitars. ive played a lot of them. they make signiture models for bands like behemoth and devil driver. i luv ESP guitars. u should check them out too.

anything else u need as far as gear i can help u out with

good luck

Whole post = fail execpt the EMG's, but pu's dont need to be active to be good, the SD Dist. is pretty good, and i really like the Screamin' Demon, JB is quite nice thats just Duncans..

I'd second the 5150. (Combo) Great amp for Metal, if you think about going 1/4 or 1/2 stack wise then i'd suggest a 5150II or 6505+, i seem to like them better then the orig's since ive had both. But thats me, go try both.
I think a combo will do, although can anyone recommend anything that'll be as helpful in the event I won't be able to find one? Stoke-on-Trent is hardly the la grange, as I'm sure you're aware
The rig:
Newcastle United
You can get a Laney GH50L head and a 2x12" cab for under £600. Its amazing for cleans, blues, rock, shred, metal and very heavy metal. Single channel though so switching from distortion to a clean sound would mean rolling off the guitar volume.

Get the head off GAK or anywhere else that has it at £400 or less and get the 2x12" Framus cab for £200 off www.thomann.de which is a bargain.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
If you're going the EMG route, do the 18v mod while your at it. It'll help for that extreme distortion.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would just reccomend a new amp b4 you go off n get new pickups... If you like how your amp sounds than you might not need them. get the 5150... and if you still want to mess with pups, get a swineshead X-Bucker or Bare Knuckle Warpigs
Cool - thanks everyone. I'll have a look around for a 5150 and the GH50L tomorrow. Just a quick question more about trems - does anyone have any feedback about the Kahlers? If those are easier to maintain and use than a floyd, then it's worth serious consideration for this mod-fest (for the record, the guitar I'll be using is an Epiphone G-400 Xtreme. I'll admit it hardly looks ruthless, but its' a ridiculous body shape enough for it, & i need to find a use for this damn axe:p
The rig:
Newcastle United