There's just some effects I've been wondering about for a while, but I have never wanted them so much until now, funny enough.

What do I need to make these sounds, and what are the effects called?:

Yai-Yai by Steve Vai (The effect is obviously called Yai-Yai?),
the effect that sort of goes to the next octave - from Searching by Joe Satriani,
the effect used in the beginning of It's So Good by Joe Satriani.

Thanks.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Feb 23, 2008,
Without going and listening to those songs, I'd guess the second one you mention you mean 'pitch-shifting' ?

In which case you need a pitch-shifter, the most common being the Digitech Whammy. The Boss SuperShifter does the same effect (but not some of the other effects of the Whammy) albeit without an expression pedal.
Thank you for your very helpful reply!

Still need to figure out the Yai-Yai and the effect in It's So Good. :P
C4C
(or in my profile!)

In Searching Satch uses a Digitech Whammy Pedal. As for It's So Good I think he uses the Whammy again but I'm only like 50/50 sure of this.
As for Yai-Yai, to me it sounds like he is using a talkbox there with 1 or 2 other effects aswell (phaser maybe).
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Whammy all the way. I can't remember the last Satch album very well but I think the effect on 'It's So Good' is just a delay feeding back, run through a Digitech Whammy and a wah.

For the rest of the song I'd guess the octaved whammy signal is left at about 50% wet for a cool octavia-esque tone.
Thanks. I'll give it a go when I get my Digitech Whammy pedal, and Crybaby Wah Pedal
C4C
(or in my profile!)