My friend wants to start a band, and asked me to be the bassist.
The problem is, I have never been in a band, and I don't think my amp would be loud enough over the drums/guitars.....would it be? I' pretty much screwed if it isn't.... I'm broke.

I also haven't bothered to find out what a few of the things on my amp do, like the countor button, and Mix/AB input jack thingies....help?
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Well how many watts and what size speaker is your amp? I bet it might be able to stand up to them enough to hear you. Regardless playing in a band is a great experience and you should do everything you can to play with them, mainly getting a bigger amp.
you're gonna want to upgrade. It all depends on what style of music you're playing. I run a GK 1001-rb II head through a Genz-Benz 4x10.

I'd personally recommend a stack over anything, but it all depends on taste/genre.
70 Watts? I think that'd be fine during practice, just boost your mids as much as possible and you'll cut through like a hot knife through butter. My practice amp's 35W and it's definitely loud enough.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
My friend said a pop-punk band that sounds like Blink 182
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Ouch, just make sure they let you NOT play root notes, one Pete Wentz is enough for this world.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
I know how to play bass, thank you.
And Blink is an awesome band, and would not be as good if they had a complicated bassline.

EDIT: How do you compare Fallout boy to Blink?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Last edited by zero_123 at Feb 23, 2008,
^they actually had some awesome bass work on earlier albums

in that case, I'd reccommend GK or Ampeg if you guys are gonna do shows. 70 watts will probably get you by for practice, depending on your guitarists gear.
Ok, I guess i'll save up for some new gear in the meantime...starting funds: $5.37
How many watts am I looking at for small to medium sized shows?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by zero_123
Ok, I guess i'll save up for some new gear in the meantime...starting funds: $5.37
How many watts am I looking at for small to medium sized shows?

not really sure what you mean by medium sized, but for the most part you'll need at least 4 times whatever your guitarist has for wattage. 200- 300 watts would be a good amount most of the time.
300w, to be safe. Most on here will say 3-4x guitarist's combined wattage, but I did fine with a 300w 2x15+2x10 against 240w of guitars, a loud drummer and a good PA.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
whatever you do make sure that the amp you get has a D.I. so that you can easily run into the P.A. at shows. but i'd go with at least 250 otherwise. I'm currently using a 60 watt with an ext cabinet so ya. it's tough against 100watts tube and 100 watts ss+ the pa from my guitarists. the great thing about guitar amps is that they have volume knobs too. just make those guys turn down a bit for practices. and i notice your 70 watt tilts back. that might help get your sound out there too.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
i have the same problem man, my buddies asked me to bass for them but i have like a 20 watt amp lol.
start playin venues that provide kickass amps, till you have the money. Ive been in venues that provide 300Wish Ampegs
if you go to rehersal studios, they supply the amps for practice

and if you've just formed, it should be a while before you're ready to gig anyways

so keep the idea of a new amp in mind

and have fun making music
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"