Ok, so say i have a crappy tone. How do i know if i need get new strings, or a new amp, a new guitar, new pedals, better cables, or, of course, it could always be that i just suck at guitar.

but ANYWAY...how do i know?
Check out my music, if you please.
Plus one the new amp. What are you currently running in your set up?
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
Quote by BillieJoeFreak:
Plus one the new amp. What are you currently running in your set up?

A little Johnson amp from the local music store. Should I get a line6? I like em, but Im not sure if its really worth the money....
Check out my music, if you please.
Yeah, man an amp is gonna be your best bet. Go to the Guitar Gear and Accessories forum and ask around there.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
The answer is to experiment until you can find out. If you want to know if your technique is flawed then play on acoustic or another amp at your local music store. If you sound crap on an acoustic or good amp then it's you.

If not, new amp fo' shizzle. Try out as many in your range as possible.
Quote by wizards?
get a line 6 spider, it's the way to solve all of your tonal/dental/school related/social/economic problems

fail

First get new strings and screw with your amp settings
then get a new amp if thats not working for you
I was kidding, no start out with strings, maybe get a new amp, or just go out and try some pedals with your guitar model, and the closest amp you can find to yours. really it's not too dificult to find a tone that youre happy with
Whether you think you need to get new stuff is totally up to you. If you want new strings, cool. If you want a new amp, go for it. It's your guitar, after all.
The.
Quote by GuitaristXakk
A little Johnson amp from the local music store. Should I get a line6? I like em, but Im not sure if its really worth the money....

No to the Line 6. just.. no.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
I have a 150$ Kustom 16 Watt amp... and it is f[/]bucking amazing! /brag

With that ^ + a distortion pedal, I have a very nice tone at my disposal. So, just remember: if you want a new amp, don't go directly for the uber expensive ones. Try out quite a few. My 150$ one was actually BETTER than the 300$-400$ ones.