Page 1 of 2
I currently have 600 dollars and a 450 dollar paycheck coming tomorow.

I want a very very high gain amp, and I mean VERY high gain. Suggestions please. Unfortunately 5150's and 6505's are out of the question, friend of mine got it and he says if I got one then our tones will be the same and our frequencies will be the same and mix.

More suggestions. I dont want a distortion pedal or multi effects board. just amp.

Lets try to keep it from 1000 to 1500, I also want to buy a PS3 and a TV for my room which will run me to 1100.
I *think* there may be some Kranks for ~$1000
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Carvin V3 - The head brand new is only $999
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
MY friend (COBHC6) had a krank combo.. it sounded like ****.. clean was good thoe. Maybe head versions better? more suggestions?
^+infinity to the JSX, that thing is sex.

I'd also check out the Peavey Windsor if you for some reason were lying when you said that you didn't want to use an overdrive.

Some others:

The Peavey Triple XXX is good, from what I've heard about them. Consider that Carvin, also. you can't go wrong with Steve Vai's signature head. Mesas are very nice, but you'll need to get a really tight cab, as their cabs are apparently flabby (their tone is massive, though). And also, you could get a 5150, there's no rule that says you can't use two of them. Just use different settings. My friend and I are in a band, and we just set our ****ty practice amps to different tones, and it's really quite fine. ENGL amps are apparently great, Ritchie Blackmore uses them, so check that out. And also look at HIWATT, Tony Iommi's signature amp is a HIWATT.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
B-52?
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Well, if you can't have a 5150/6505, then I will recommend the Peavey JSX and XXX. A Mesa might not be a bad idea either.
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
ok so far, peavy XXX, and I could get a 5150 but id rather not endure cobhc6's endless bitching. ENGL amps ive used a few and I cant say I enjoyed them. any specific models to try?

and what is this HIWATT? in terms of distortion, how good is it? And as for B-52 you know that theres no stores around here that carry them. And mesa is my first choice.

Hearing some support for JSX and XXX

more ideas?
I don't know what ppl were talkin 'bout the Hiwatt for. Never heard of a high gain Hiwatt and I always thought that Iommi had a deal with Laney instead...
And the Carvin V3 is not Vai's signature head. The Carvin legacy is his sig amp.
Search youtube for some V3 clips they get pretty freakin heavy.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92

I want a very very high gain amp, and I mean VERY high gain. Suggestions please. Unfortunately 5150's and 6505's are out of the question, friend of mine got it and he says if I got one then our tones will be the same and our frequencies will be the same and mix.

You guys could try different EQ settings/cabs/guitars?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I know we have different guitars and id probably get a marshall 2x12... but i wouldnt be able to stand COBHC6's intollerable bitching about me copying him and so on and so forth. its retarded i know but what can I do about it?
I don't see whats wrong with the 5150/6505 unless you use the same exact guitar, cable, pick, effects, play exactly the same from one another, and EQ the same.

I heard somebody say mesa... thats another possibility.

Good luck.
Mesa is a good choice as well. Other high gain options besides triple/dual recto?

and as i said.. he said something about us using exact same frequencies.. even if i get the 6505.
A used dual Recto or Carvin V3 but for insane amounts of gain your still going to need a boost on almost any amp.......Check my profile MP3s if you want to here the V3 the gain was on 8 on the intense mode which has the most gain.
Sounds like the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier is what's for you.

Used of course.
whoa.. the carvin V3 sounds pretty good. Im gonna check it out actualy.

mesas are also a very good choice for me.
after you sell your mg you may be able to buy a decent head and just use the pa system of where ever you are playing
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
hahah not selling my MG. Sentimental value, plus i need a cheap practise amp for guitar class next year.
+1 on that 'Recto' tone. Mixes well with 5150s. You could try looking for the Rectifier combos (Tremoverbs and whatever the other ones are called).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
+12 to the V3.

Two of the same amps putting out the same freq. is idiotic. Your friend knows nothing about how sound waves work. Every amp has a certain freq. response, and while two 5150's will respond the same to the same guitar, they're response will be very different with any eq, pickup, cab, or speaker differences.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
+12 to the V3.

Two of the same amps putting out the same freq. is idiotic. Your friend knows nothing about how sound waves work. Every amp has a certain freq. response, and while two 5150's will respond the same to the same guitar, they're response will be very different with any eq, pickup, cab, or speaker differences.

Ill mention that to him. He said well be on the same freq and our tone will be too damn alike. I like to scoop my mids, he doesnt, i use a different guitar, different cable, different pickup, and it will be marshall cab.

then he goes with his "its not cool if were gonna have the same amp" argument. **** it

any more suggestions?
I was looking at all of these amps last year when I was shopping. Have you considered the Randall heads? I got the G3 series RH150, but at the price range you're looking at, they have even higher end ones too.

I tried the Peavey XXX, XL, Supreme, XXL, Transtube heads. (not the 5150, etc.) I tried Crate and various Marshall heads. I tried a Mesa. The Randall won.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Ill mention that to him. He said well be on the same freq and our tone will be too damn alike. I like to scoop my mids, he doesnt, i use a different guitar, different cable, different pickup, and it will be marshall cab.

then he goes with his "its not cool if were gonna have the same amp" argument. **** it

any more suggestions?

Mesa Rectoverb (50 version of the tremoverb without tremolo haha), just becasue its cheaper... Great amplifier. Do you have the same guitar as your freind? if not, than your amps are gonna sound different...
Sup gio

get a 6505+ so u'll be differnt just cus hes got a 5150 doesnt mean you cant a 6505+, which i think is better. I had a 5150 for a while, then i traded it to a friend for a 6505+ (good deal) and it blew my socks off.
eh, dont want the bitching from getting the same amp as him.

but i have to say.. the 5150/6505 sound ORGASMIC.
There are about 4 used Mesa Mark IV combo's floating around the Toronto Craigslist. That'll be your best bet
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Egnater amps? Check out an ENGL or Randall too
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Heads:
-Used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV.
-Used Mesa/Boogie Single or Daul Rectifier.
-Peavey 5150/6505 (regardless of what your friend says).
-Carvin V3.
-Various used Engls (try them all, some are voiced differently than others).
-Peavey XXX.
-Used VHT Pittbull.
-Peavey JSX (may not have enough gain).
-Various used Soldanos (same as Engl).

Combos:
-Used Mesa/Boogie Mark IV.
-Peavey 5150/6505 (regardless of what your friend says, although I'd reccomend the head version).
-Carvin V3.
-Various used Engls (try them all, some are voiced differently than others).
-Peavey JSX (may not have enough gain).
-Various used Soldanos (same as Engl).

There are so many choices... Just go try them all and see what you like!
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
ur friend probably just dont want u to have the same amp as him and trying to use a stupid excuse to prevent u from gettin the same one.

dont let him tell u what to do, if u want a 5150 GET A 5150!
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
You and your friend can both have 5150/6505's, just set your friggin EQ's differently. You know how many metal bands use those amps with multiple guitarists?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Your friend is talking crap and it sounds to me like he just doesnt want YOU to have the same amp as him.
I dont think I have ever been to a metal show where the bands didn't use the same head as each other. The simple fact is that it sounds much, much better! How many metal albums do you own where the tone is the same (albeit with an EQ adjust) in the both ears!

The last show I went to was - The Red Chord, The Black Dahlia Murder (who were sick) and Job For A Cowboy. Guess what, they all used the same two heads all night - Peavey 6505+

But Im just making a point. You can buy whatever head you like haha.
Guitars:
LTD MHNT250 (Bare Knuckle Warpig in Bridge)
AMP/Cab:
Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960A Cab
Rack:
Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
DBX 266 XL Compressor
Check out my band!:
Revenance
Quote by Raziel123
hm two guitars in a band should NEVER have the same amp?

They can if they want to...
Also, look at ENGL's, theyr friggin brutal.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

my vote goes for a used Mesa.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
Last edited by helsinki_vampir at Feb 24, 2008,
And back in the day, how many bands were there where both guitarists used a JCM800 or something? Had to be tons.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
if the get a 5150 a eq it different you'll sound different. Also the way you play will make you sound different.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus