What is the best guitar you can buy for under $300? I own a Fender Telecaster, and I love it like I love heavy metal, but I'm thinking of a replacement if my Fender broke - which probably wont happen soon, but might. So what is the best budget guitar you can buy (preferably $200 - $250, but $300 at max)?
squire standard fat strat! the new design for these are solid! i have mine and the humbucker does fair on lows but if you replace it this guitar is amazign quality! the tuners r amazing and the bridge is decent for a squire! dont let past squires leave u with a bad taste! new squires r quality! see my blog o my profile i explain it all about this gtr
Line6 DT50 212<br>
Line6 Pod HD500<br>
Fender Telecaster JA-90<br>
Fender Telecaster 79 custom<br>
used Epiphone somethin'?
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model
squire sucks! dont get a squire! if u hav one ur grammr and speling looks like this!

You could probably snag a decent Ibanez in that price range, those are nice for metal. Look around for used stuff, you could get a good deal on something great
esp ec-50?
cheap, but you could upgrade pickups later which would make it better for metal
wait... How would it just break? If you like the tele it makes more sense to just fix it in that case. Go used if you just want to flat out buy a back up.
Thanks for the advice, guys!

Quote by bullets34
wait... How would it just break? If you like the tele it makes more sense to just fix it in that case. Go used if you just want to flat out buy a back up.

That is a good point on your part. But my Fender - as much as I love it - has a LOT of problems, like no tremolo bar, loose input jack, a few chips here and there, and mainly, NO HUMBUCKERS! So I probably wouldnt get it fixed (thanks for the idea, though!). If it breaks - for instance, the fretboard snaps off, the pickups fall out, etc. - I dont have the $ to buy another one.
For what genre? I would say Schecter makes the best bang for buck guitars overall and they have a couple models in that range.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Ibanez RG. DO IT.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Used MIM telecaster, less your want something more "heavy metal" which I'd go for something from the schecter or esp ltd lines. Or maybe even a mim strat, lol.

Really though for budget guitars, I'd just check your local used market and see whats for sale.
^ I think that guy is being sarcastic...at least I hope so...

Quote by na10tbolt
Squire '51, trust me.

THIS. Like, seriously. It's one of the best little guitars EVER, and it blows the occasional Fender or Epiphone out of the water.
Quote by RandyRhoads2
Wait,you love heavy metal,and have a telecaster?

Teles handle high gain surprisingly well, believe it or not. Also, you can love a genre and own a guitar from a totally different one.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Teles handle high gain surprisingly well, believe it or not. Also, you can love a genre and own a guitar from a totally different one.

I can't tell, I'm still...out there.

Yea, teles and strats, with crazy gain, get a very unique, squishy kind of tone. I don't like it, but it's unique. I have a friend who plays whatevercore, and really rocks out with a SSS MIM strat, everything on 10, bridge pickup. *shrug
You could probably get a MIM strat for 300 even, you have to haggle with the people in GC. tell them to knock off some bucks on a floor model or one hanging up.
Quote by RandyRhoads2
Wait,you love heavy metal,and have a telecaster?

Dont ask, but if you really want to know, I didnt know about single-coils and humbuckers when I got it.
Agiles are good value.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
yamaha pacifica 112
Quote by coryklok
My god.

Your username... it's amazing.

Yup.
Quote by Silky Smooth
You could probably get a MIM strat for 300 even, you have to haggle with the people in GC. tell them to knock off some bucks on a floor model or one hanging up.

Or, you could get one off of CL for as little as $140.
Rg321mh.
Fender MIM Fat Strat
Jackson Dk2m Dinky Pro
Jackson DKMGT
Ibanez RG7321
Goya/Martin G812 Acoustic
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Roland MicroCube
i say the epiphone sg or the squier tellocaster or by a crapy guitar that feals good to play and ad humbuckers and strings and stuff like that
Quote by Silky Smooth

+1. Haggling with GC really does work.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
Quote by ste993
+1. Haggling with GC really does work.

Its really easy too, most of the guys in there don't care to much as long as they make a liiiitle profit.
I got my Hag for less than $300 with a hard case
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Quote by na10tbolt
Squire '51, trust me.

**** squire haters! they are better quality now as long as you don't buy the affinity ones! standard up is good
Line6 DT50 212<br>
Line6 Pod HD500<br>
Fender Telecaster JA-90<br>
Fender Telecaster 79 custom<br>
Oh jeeeeez you're afraid of the fretboard popping off??? Yikes.

As for any of the electronics - it's REALLY easy to rewire this stuff. If the jack fails or what not buy a new one for a few bucks and solder it in.

Story time! :::: Last week the output jack on my JS started crackling and what not. I decided to do a COMPLETE rewire, on my own, to get rid of all the crappy original stuff in it. Keep in mind I had never even soldered before! Anyways, a friend of mine showed me how to solder and read a wiring diagram, and I rewired the guitar with a coil split, and series/parallel switch. Everything works better than before, with no hum, buzz, or crackling, and it all took maybe 2 total hours of learning how to solder, finding the diagrams and parts, and finally wiring everything up.

Seriously, if something electronic breaks use it as an opportunity to learn how to do this on your own. It'll save you a BOATLOAD of money down the road.
It does indeed

It should be apart of learning the instrument too. There are sooo many things you can do to tailor your guitar to your tastes electronically.
I got an Ibanez GRG170DX for like 300 USD, and I've checked the price since then, and the price is now like 230 or something. I know the GRG series isn't quite as high quality as the RG, but it's also more affordable, and Ibanez guitars are tough as an ox, they just will not break, it's quite impressive.
Here is a steal and wish i didnt have a jackson almost just like it. $260 for 24 frets, decent pups, fast neck, and a jackson to boot.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-JS30KV-King-V-Electric-Guitar?sku=511563X
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Used Fender MIM Tele or Strat?

+1
[Gear]
1957 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom [gone ]
1958 Reissue Sunburst (Ice Tea)
1959 Reissue Sunburst (Cherry)
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG
50th Anniversary CS Masterbuilt Strat

Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
best budget guitars would either be the rondo guitars(sx, douglas, or agile) or jay turser guitars