So I just got home from Guitar Center. I was checking out some cheap cables for hooking up a mic to my recording device. I have a cheap Tascam 4 track cassette recorder and some old mic that my dad used. I ask the Guitar Center rep where the cheapest cables are for my set up. He starts off by telling me some cheesy joke, "You wouldn't walk into a bar and ask for the cheapest or ugliest girl". He then directs me to some 20ft XLR to 1/4 cables which cost like $40 each. I told him I only need the most basic cable since my recording equipment isn't top quality anyways. He goes on for about a minute trying to tell me how great the cable is before I remind him of my setup. He tells me the cheaper cable will probably break in two weeks. I ask if Guitar Center does lifetime replacement on the cheap cables if they break. He tells me yeah and then still tries to convince to buy the more expensive stuff. I understand these guys are on comission but it's really annoying when they try and push something on you. I ended buying some 5ft XLR cable for a grand total of $6. Not all Guitar Center reps are bad but it's those few jerks who ruin it.
Last edited by blackphoenix86 at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by blackphoenix86
So I just got home from Guitar Center. I was checking out some cheap cables for hooking up a mic to my recording device. I have a cheap Tascam 4 track cassette recorder and some old mic that my dad used. I ask the Guitar Center rep where the cheapest cables are for my set up. He starts off by telling me some cheesy joke, "You wouldn't walk into a bar and ask for the cheapest or ugliest girl". He then directs me to some 20ft XLR to 1/4 cables which cost like $40 each. I told him I only need the most basic cable since my recording equipment isn't top quality anyways. He goes on for about a minute trying to tell me how great the cable are before I remind him of my setup. He tells me the cheaper cables will break in two weeks. I ask if Guitar Center does lifetime replacement on the cheap cables if they break. He tells me yeah and then still tries to convince to buy the more expensive stuff. I understand these guys are on comission but it's really annoying when they try and push something on you. I ended buying some 5ft XLR cable for a grand total of $6. Not all Guitar Center reps are bad but it's those few jerks who ruin it.

It pisses me off that he's trying to offload a 20ft cable off on you for that purpose.

unless you plan on sitting in a different room to record...
One guy tried to sell me $11 packs of strings and a $20 capo. I bought the capo, but settled for $7 strings
another showed me $40 gigbags
I asked for the cheapest thing he had, he got it out for me
Quote by AngelOfHatred
I've never been to a GC, all I hear is bad things.

^it's not, I mean if you're not a complete idiot and play stairway, smoke on the water, or sweet child of mine, and you don't run into a complete jerk of a salesman you're fine and will have a great experience
This does not warrant the pear, and ruins things for those of us who want the pear to be unbanned for threads that do warrant it.
Quote by wizards?
^it's not, I mean if you're not a complete idiot and play stairway, smoke on the water, or sweet child of mine, and you don't run into a complete jerk of a salesman you're fine and will have a great experience

Awesome, then. I'm going to Florida for vacation soon, and I'll be going to a GC while I'm down there. I've only ever been in small local music stores before, and the employees tend to like me up here. I tend to just do some improvising when I try out guitars, so I guess I won't have any problems?
Quote by blackphoenix86
So I just got home from Guitar Center. I was checking out some cheap cables for hooking up a mic to my recording device. I have a cheap Tascam 4 track cassette recorder and some old mic that my dad used. I ask the Guitar Center rep where the cheapest cables are for my set up. He starts off by telling me some cheesy joke, "You wouldn't walk into a bar and ask for the cheapest or ugliest girl". He then directs me to some 20ft XLR to 1/4 cables which cost like $40 each. I told him I only need the most basic cable since my recording equipment isn't top quality anyways. He goes on for about a minute trying to tell me how great the cable is before I remind him of my setup. He tells me the cheaper cable will probably break in two weeks. I ask if Guitar Center does lifetime replacement on the cheap cables if they break. He tells me yeah and then still tries to convince to buy the more expensive stuff. I understand these guys are on comission but it's really annoying when they try and push something on you. I ended buying some 5ft XLR cable for a grand total of $6. Not all Guitar Center reps are bad but it's those few jerks who ruin it.

Maybe he's right and buying cheap gear isnt a good idea, Nah that could'nt be.......
Quote by AngelOfHatred
Awesome, then. I'm going to Florida for vacation soon, and I'll be going to a GC while I'm down there. I've only ever been in small local music stores before, and the employees tend to like me up here. I tend to just do some improvising when I try out guitars, so I guess I won't have any problems?

nah you should be fine, don't worry about it. Just don't play stairway smoke on the water etc. that just makes you get thrown out and make sad threads on UG about how life isn't fair and you should be allowed to do that if you damn well please.... but in all have a good time
I hate salemen. They're just like prostitutes.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by wizards?

All of that is easy to avoid except running into the jerk salesman. Unless you already know one of 2 of them there and you know they're good guys, you'll end up getting a jerk sooner or later.

They usually leave me alone anyway. I go in there, get a guitar, plug it in and play it, and a guy will walk over and ask me if I need help, I'll say no (unless I DO Need help) and he'll say "Well if you have any questions my name is *insert salesman's name here* and I'll help you out." Simple enough.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
If I ever go to America and GC, Im am so ****in playing SCOM, I love that song, its fun to play and I wanna hear some whiny american accents telling me to STFU.
Quote by thankyougermany
All of that is easy to avoid except running into the jerk salesman. Unless you already know one of 2 of them there and you know they're good guys, you'll end up getting a jerk sooner or later.

They usually leave me alone anyway. I go in there, get a guitar, plug it in and play it, and a guy will walk over and ask me if I need help, I'll say no (unless I DO Need help) and he'll say "Well if you have any questions my name is *insert salesman's name here* and I'll help you out." Simple enough.

^I don't know any salesman, you just have to walk the walk really. just go in there and act not like you own the place, but that you belong to that sort of society. It's almost like a club in there, people just get along. Just keep your head relatively down and try not to cause too much trouble, and most of all enjoy yourself, I mean that's what it's all about right?
Quote by wizards?

I don't get the hating on Stairway to Heaven. It is not the easiest song in the world to play, its not like Smoke on the Water.
Quote by wizards?
^I don't know any salesman, you just have to walk the walk really. just go in there and act not like you own the place, but that you belong to that sort of society. It's almost like a club in there, people just get along. Just keep your head relatively down and try not to cause too much trouble, and most of all enjoy yourself, I mean that's what it's all about right?

Yep. I always talk to people in there if they're into the same kind of guitars and music that I am. I always like meeting and listening to other musicians that are like me.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I dunno it kinda makes me uncomfortable being in GC, or any music store. I don't play much for fear I'll break something . I don't hang out unless I have to wait.

When I bought my Pulsar I asked for the better one between that and the TR-2. He was pretty helpful.

Dude, is it only me or does it take every GC employee like 20 minutes to figure out how to ring up a god damn pedal?
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
the only problem i ever had was i was playing on a half stack semi loud,(iive seen people play much, much louder there) and a salesman came over and told me to turn it down "i can't hear it when people are calling me over the PA" and walked away...there were plenty of other employees that had no problem with it though, wasn't that big of a deal but just got to me in a bad way
Quote by Osiris77
Maybe he's right and buying cheap gear isnt a good idea, Nah that could'nt be.......

he asked for cheap cables tho. And besides ive had a 10 dollar guitar cable for almost 2 years now.... hell ive had it almost as long as ive been playing.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)