1. calling it a distort pedal makes you sound like and idiot. call it distortion
2. the change the tone alot. not for the better
3. distortion will give you distortion. overdrive will sound like ****
It really depends on the amp. It not that they sound bad necissarily, its just that your money would be better spent on a new amp.
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
Yeah, depends on a lot of things. First, my particular amp is solid state, and is built for heavy rock and metal. I don't need a distortion/overdrive pedal for *anything.* That's one of the reasons I bought it.

srv was right about the distortion = distortion comment. Distortion pedals actually add distortion to your tone to create a new sound.

Overdrive pedals, by comparison, in addition to adding distortion in most cases, serve to drive the inputs of your amp harder. In a tube amp, the difference can be wonderful and amazing. That's how tubes operate - drive 'em harder and they respond with nice warm distortion. On a solid state amp, if you've already dialed in lots of gain, the input stage of the preamp is already being driven hard. Adding more won't change much, except for adding more 'break up' distortion - a different, and generally less desirable character of distortion.

The one pedal I use is a BBE Boosta Grande, which is a clean boost pedal. Put in line between the guitar and the amp, it only drives the inputs harder, which creates the effect I described above. Put in the effects loop (after the preamp but before the power amp), it takes the preamped signal, boosts it and sends it to the tube portion of the power amp in my Randall. It gives me a good volume boost without wrecking my original sound.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
you just need a versatile distortion pedal.

cheap and will sound great is a Rocktron Zombie.

heck, it sounds good on a Vox DA5, try one out at your local store.
If you want an SS amp then get one with effects already built in, like the Micro cube, or one of the valvetronix amps etc

If you want to use effects pedals then get yourself a tube amp
Quote by _BucketHead_
If you want an SS amp then get one with effects already built in, like the Micro cube, or one of the valvetronix amps etc

If you want to use effects pedals then get yourself a tube amp

Eh, kinda. It really depends on the amp. Some SS amps take pedals great while some tube amps suck with pedals and vice versa.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Acquiescence
i heard this before.. that distort pedals dont really chage much of ss amp tone...

Actually, I think it's really just modelling amps that take pedals badly, regular SS amps should be fine. Don't quote me on this though.
Quote by MrSheen
Where do you put pedals if there's no effects loop on your amp?

In the line between your guitar and the amp input.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
I imagine that would make effects like delay pretty **** sounding?