I need advice on guitar strings. What brand and gauge should I get? I play mostly metal and in E/D/A Strandard. I have 9s on mine right now and the high E broke so I'm thinking of replacing all of them and getting a different brand and gauge. I have a epiphone les paul junior model. What do you guys recommend?
D'Addario.
"Acoustic Guitars are totally lame and not metal"- Nathan Explosion
no...u shud get ernie ball...cuz every time i get a new guitar they have ds n i can tell the diff...but its what u should be most comfortable w/
edit: damn didnt get it in time...that was no to the ds...
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
ernie ball

i very much prefer them over daddarios
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
i love EBs mostly cuz they r one of a few companies that ive found that make strings for a 7string...7strings rule
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Dr
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Ok so DR 12 gauge?

I'm probably gonna have the store do it for me. I have no clue how to put strings on.
Quote by giantsfanftw
Ok so DR 12 gauge?

I'm probably gonna have the store do it for me. I have no clue how to put strings on.

If you do have the store people do it for you, watch them and learn it, it's usually (depending on your bridge) easy and good to know.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Anything 12- or 13-gauge should be good for A standard. However, just a heads up - they'll be fine in A standard, but somewhat tight when you bring it back up to E. IMHO, if you plan on going between E standard and a relatively low tuning like A standard, you may want to get a 2nd guitar specifically set up for low tunings and thick strings.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
GHS , they sound pretty similar to Fender's string and they are awesome in tone
D'Addario's are pretty okay but they lack something in tone.
So then should I forget A standard and get 11's instead? Or is that still too tight? I bend my strings a lot.
how did u manage to play A standard with 9's?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by macaroni
how did u manage to play A standard with 9's?

I only tried twice. It sounded kinda bad and the strings were so loose I didn't play it there anymore.

Not something I recommend
Quote by giantsfanftw
So then should I forget A standard and get 11's instead? Or is that still too tight? I bend my strings a lot.

It's up to you. If you like playing mostly in A standard, go with 12s or 13s. If you stay with E standard/drop D, go with 11s. 11s will still fair okay in A, but they'll be on the loose side.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Everyone will tell you to get whatever brand they are playing. I am playing GHS boomers now. I have played lots of brands.... there is really not much difference and all... I think most of it is in your head.

I challenge anyone to post sound clips of different strings on the same rig and show that there is a difference. One could argue that some strings last longer than others... but I don't see it..... and I've played lots of them... but then again I almost never break strings, and change mine at least once a month... sometimes once a week if practicing and gigging alot that week.

Now there is a difference when you are getting into different gauges. I would recommend that you go up to may be 10's or 11's if you are not playing detuned (like C or B) metally stuff. If you are go to 13's or 14's. AND despite what ANYONE tells you... unless you want to ruin the neck of your guitar, anytime you put different gauge strings on you will want to have your neck truss adjusted and the guitar intonated.

Also, get yourself a lead pencil and "lube" the nut and bridge before putting your strings on to help the from catching, thus breaking/going out of tune.... just take the pencil and run it through the grooved till you have a nice bit of it in there....

hope that helps.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Ernie Ball strings have the best tone in my opinion. I use Power Slinky 11's for drop D and Super for E and leads.
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
Everly - Rockers
B - MAN

My Main Rig:
☺1998 Gibson Les Paul Studio DC
☺Reverend Rocco(USA)
☺Martin DM
☺Peavey ValveKing 112
☺Dunlop Tortex(1.35Mm) Picks
☺Everly Rockers - .10guage.
☺Martin - .11guage.
☺Too many effects to list.
Ernie Ball Power Slinky 11's, slash's guitar tech mentioned thats what he uses so I tried them and have never looked back
Ever Dance with the Devil in The Pale Moonlight?
for metal i recommend ernie balls
d´addarios last longer, but they give you a bright sound
for metal you want a warm sound not bright
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350