is there such a method for using a slide on bass as on guitar and can someone direct me to some helpful youtube videos please?

thanks
you know what...? I never heard of that... great innovation.

i'd imagine it would be the same as sliding on a guitar tho...
Last edited by deathpidgeon at Feb 23, 2008,
It makes a lot of noise,since the strings are so much bigger than a regular guitar,and so the winding of the strings is bigger. I havint tried,but I bet getting some flatwounds would probably help.
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
I don't know about anyone doing that professionally, but I do personally. I suggest you just get a slide and work it out yourself. Who knows? Maybe you'll become famous and then become known for bringing the slide to bass.
That sounds rad. Totally me when I get a bass
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
It's hard and I can't get anything usable out of it. Like Krist said, flatwounds would be good. My strings are kinda dead, though, so there's no telling if it sounds good normally.

That dude has some crazy two-string bass, which is probably tuned A C#, so he's got that in mind.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I've tried it before. Not much you can do with it unless you're writing a solo piece or really creative. As for basic bass stuff (as in holding down the low-end, which the vast majority of bassists do, and I don't mean that to be snide or stereotypical), it wouldn't be very versatile.

I did see Stefan Lessard do it at a Dave Matthews concert once, but it was for an intro jam and not the actual song.
Yawsbass got it. Stefan Lessard does it a bit for intros on his six string. I also do it. But shhhhh...

I use a normal six string with a glass slide, and put some effects on there. Sounds gooood.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Chris Wood from Medeski, Martin, and Wood uses it in some rare instances.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

now I haven't really used a slide before but what are the differences between metal and glass slides?
Metal slides have a much brighter, harsh tone. Glass has a softer, more subdued attack to it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Flatwounds sound like crap with slide on regular guitar, so I'm guessing it's not going to sound to pretty on bass.
Morphine are the only band that I know of that slide bass, he knows how to economize with his two string bass!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
slide bass!?

hmm...

I can't do that, I use heavy heavy guage strings.
It makes bass playing double as excercise
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Armagedn
I don't know about anyone doing that professionally, but I do personally. I suggest you just get a slide and work it out yourself. Who knows? Maybe you'll become famous and then become known for bringing the slide to bass.

Yeah, threadstarter, I've never heard that idea before. Totally fresh.

*aaaahhhh...*
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531694&highlight=slide+bass
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454725&highlight=slide+bass
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672132&highlight=slide+bass
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=721542&highlight=slide+bass
*...chooo!*

Sorry, had to sneeze.

Every time I played "slide bass", the tone was very quiet on the actual "note" side, and very loud on the "metal scratching against metal" side. It was harsh and sounded harsh. Maybe a glass slide will reduce the harsh friction, but my question remains: what advantage would slide bass have over fretless? Considering fretless... works and all.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
yeah, the fitz, i've never cared before... threads found in the search bar may not contain the new and UPDATED information acquired if a new thread is started..

and thanks for all the replies so far, I'm borrowing a slide tomorrow to try it on my bass and I'll post my opinions on it.
I've done it with a copper slide and it sounded pretty sweet. Didn't get a chance to play it with my glass slide as I dropped it on the floor and it shattered as I was on my way to my basement studio.