Recieved mine a few days ago and thought it was a pretty decent amp. Then I unplugged the speaker and ran the line out to one of the inputs on my twin reverb.Wow for $300.00 you have one of the best preamps you can imagine. What is cool is that you have all those preset preamps all ready, the sounds of overdrive you can get is unlimitless. I have only worked thru a few but kudos to fender for coming up with this little animal. Probally will order another just to rip the chasis out so I can make one that fits in my rack stuff.
Quote by modernp
Recieved mine a few days ago and thought it was a pretty decent amp. Then I unplugged the speaker and ran the line out to one of the inputs on my twin reverb.

I thought the xd had a tube power section?
Hi I'm new here, is this a troll thread?

If you're being serious, stop what you're doing, right now. Put the amps down! Never, ever play through a tube power amp without a proper load.
Quote by whoismilan
Hi I'm new here, is this a troll thread?

If you're being serious, stop what you're doing, right now. Put the amps down! Never, ever play through a tube power amp without a proper load.

Why do you think amps have line outs so you can run them to pa's or power amps nothing can get hurt it is line level voltage only.
Yes, the DI out is line level, that had absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote though.

The line out is there so that you are able to get a line level signal (for example for recording or sending to PA) without micing the speaker, but that does not change the fact that it still need to be connected to one, you can not just disconnect it without damaging the amp. It needs to be connected to a load, such as a speaker, or a load box.
^He's right. You cannot unplug the speaker if you are not going to plug it into a cab or a proper attenuator/load box. Line out is not the same thing as speaker out. If it's not labeled as a line out/preamp out/fx send, it's not.
I am not going line out to the speaker of another amp I am going line out to one of the input jacks of my twin. I disconnected the speaker in the champ because that is the weakest part of the amp. 46 years old been doing sound reinforcement for 30 years playing guitar for almost the same. The original post was worded correctly was just trying to let people know that this little amp is a great preamp.
if you disconnect the speaker, without plugging in a dummy load, and turn it on you will mess the amp up hardcore. Unless fender worked some electronics miracle or the tubes are really just light bulbs...
Quote by Kino22x
if you disconnect the speaker, without plugging in a dummy load, and turn it on you will mess the amp up hardcore. Unless fender worked some electronics miracle or the tubes are really just light bulbs...

I really don't know how much experience you have with tube amps Us old farts have been doing this for years with any style of amp that has a line out. I could just as well left the speaker connected in the amp if I wanted. But when you crank the gain into the twin it starts farting. Because your using the champ as the pre amp. This has setu p has been used for years to daisy chain different types of amps
Quote by modernp
I really don't know how much experience you have with tube amps Us old farts have been doing this for years with any style of amp that has a line out. I could just as well left the speaker connected in the amp if I wanted. But when you crank the gain into the twin it starts farting. Because your using the champ as the pre amp. This has setu p has been used for years to daisy chain different types of amps

So you are using the line out? That's fine, but you still need to have the speaker output plugged into the speaker or a load box. You can turn down the master volume if you want the champ to be silent.
I give up. You do not have to have a load on the speaker in the amp that you are using as the preamp. Next time you have a chance to screw around please try it. Ask any amp tech they will tell you the same thing. Have a great weekend
Quote by modernp
I give up. You do not have to have a load on the speaker in the amp that you are using as the preamp. Next time you have a chance to screw around please try it. Ask any amp tech they will tell you the same thing. Have a great weekend

I did ask an amp tech. His words were, "if it's a preamp out (IE no signal to the power amp anymore), then the amp will be fine. If it's a DI (signal still goes to the power amp), then you must have a load on the amp."
If I misunderstood the type of DI you have (one that mutes the amp), then I apologize. I just try to err on the side of keeping people from blowing up their amps
I see your from Mdison Thats where my business is. What kind of music are you into? I live down in Stoughton and we get together and jam all the time.
Quote by modernp
I see your from Mdison Thats where my business is. What kind of music are you into? I live down in Stoughton and we get together and jam all the time.

Classic rock and bluesy jazz. Shoot me a PM if you want to jam sometime, I'm always looking for people to play with. What's your business?