I asked for new strings at a music store, and the guy gave me flatwounds. Do they play different for fingerstyle? They seem like they would be better for use with a pick. I really don't know anything about them.
They don't have the windings. This results in a mellow (some, like me, say dull) sound. They also will wreak a touch of havoc on your plucking hand as there seems to be a little more stickiness. Personally I wouldn't ever put flats on a bass unless it was a p-bass and I was playing with a pick.
I use GHS Precision Flats on my Geddy Jazz and Ernie Ball Flats on my Standard Jazz. For the music I play, they sound fine. They have a "thud", percussion sound, not as bright as rounds. I play country and southern rock with some classic rock and the flats suit the styles fine. Personally I like the sound and feel of flats better than rounds. That's just my opinion, there are plenty of others that use rounds.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
keep in mind that flats will also tend to sound much more lo-fi and one-dimensional. Roundwounds are a lot more hi-fi with a more well-rounded sound spectrum. When I had flats on my Fenders, it sounded like it was strung up with rubber bands. I wanted to get that big fat Jamerson sound with my P-bass, but they just didn't want to do it. I actually think that old dead roundwounds give me most of the sound I'm looking for. Flatwounds just tend to sound cheeeeep.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
in my experience they sound amazing on fretless basses. A lot of the guys I know use them on a fretless bass to replicate the sound of an upright bass
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
I like my flats. With my current amp setup I can't really tell a difference with sound. Other than that the positives are no fret buzz or buzz when I slide.

It's really just sometrhing you gotta test out before you form an opinion.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Quote by Funkbass796
I like my flats. With my current amp setup I can't really tell a difference with sound. Other than that the positives are no fret buzz or buzz when I slide.

It's really just sometrhing you gotta test out before you form an opinion.

Same here. They sound good on the Jazz. For country music I tend to boost the neck pickup. For rock or if I need a brighter sound that cuts I favor the bridge pickup. Just try some strings, both flat and round, and see what you like.
Fender Geddy Lee, Precision (MIA), Fender Standard Jazz, Ibanez SR700, GK MB210 combo, GK 210MBE
i have a set of flats on my shecter and a set of rounds on my squier, the rounds have a punchier sound where the flats have a mellower, flatter sound. i like my flats more due to my fingers slide better.
Quote by damienblack333
i have a set of flats on my shecter and a set of rounds on my squier, the rounds have a punchier sound where the flats have a mellower, flatter sound. i like my flats more due to my fingers slide better.

Same here, I don't get any finger-slide noise. With rounds I tend to get a lot of noise when I slide my fingers.
Quote by staticmoe
Can you still slap with flats?

I really don't slap very much but I do at times using the flats. Rounds may be better, I really don't know.