I read through the stickies trying to find an answer for this question but I could not find one. I could've missed it though, so bare with me.

I'd like to do some upgrading to my Tradition Copy Strat. http://www.traditionguitars.com/guitars/g/g12.html

A few months ago I was thinking about just buying a new Strat altogether, but then I started reading about people making or customizing their own, and I figured what the hell. The biggest thing I'd like to upgrade is the guitar's tone because it sounds pretty bad in my opinion. I'd like to eventually upgrade just about everything.

1. New neck
2. New tuners
3. New pups and pots and switches
4. New paint job

Now the last part, the painting, is just for personal preference. I'd love to do a 3 color sunburst, but I'll have to experiment before I try it because it sounds a little bit tougher than just one color.

Anywho, what I'm getting at is that I'm worried about the wood in the body. It's made of solid basswood (according to the website), which from what I've read is kind of inexpensive. I was wondering how much exactly it was effecting my tone.

More or less, would it be worth it to go ahead and upgrade everything? Or, after upgrading, will it still sound crappy because of the inexpensive body?

I realize that upgrading the electronics and everything will make a difference, I'm just not sure if it'd be worth it due to the body.
Last edited by lemonsquares42 at Feb 23, 2008,
k basswood is a softwood so it can dent or chip easy. but soundwise it is suppose to make a warm tone. so it should be good.
basswood is soft wood. produces a warm kind of thin tone. not aweome for guitar building, but is still good. i highly recommend selling it and getting another strat to mod. you can get a nice SX strat from rondomusic.com.

solid alder body, nice necks, will get a nice setup before it comes out the door. it would be a good idea. they are like 90 dollars too.

butttt if you were to upgrade i say you are on the right track with the new pickups and electronics. i mean, its an electric guitar, electronics are most of your tone.
Quote by lemonsquares42
... Anywho, what I'm getting at is that I'm worried about the wood in the body. It's basswood, which from what I've read is kind of inexpensive. I was wondering how much exactly it was effecting my tone.

More or less, would it be worth it to go ahead and upgrade everything? Or, after upgrading, will it still sound crappy because of the inexpensive body?

I realize that upgrading the electronics and everything will make a difference, I'm just not sure if it'd be worth it due to the body.

Basswood's tone is between Alder and Mahogany ... think Ibanez RG. Perhaps it's your amp? The amp affects your tone the most, IMO.

Electronics upgrades will definitely help, and so will decent hardware.

Quote by Ippon
Basswood's tone is between Alder and Mahogany ... think Ibanez RG. Perhaps it's your amp? The amp affects your tone the most, IMO.

Electronics upgrades will definitely help, and so will decent hardware.

Well I'm using a Fender Blues Junior, which sounds pretty nice to my ears. It's not a Deluxe Reverb or anything, but I like it a lot.

I'd really like a thick Strat tone, and right now it's pretty weak and thin. It could be the wood though, or it could be the neck, or the pickups and electronics. Or it could be a combination of all of those things.

Would I be better off getting one of those cheap SX strats and upgrading from there like LP Addict suggested? Or will the Basswood body that I'm using now be fine?
Quote by lemonsquares42
Well I'm using a Fender Blues Junior, which sounds pretty nice to my ears. It's not a Deluxe Reverb or anything, but I like it a lot.

I'd really like a thick Strat tone, and right now it's pretty weak and thin. It could be the wood though, or it could be the neck, or the pickups and electronics. Or it could be a combination of all of those things.

Would I be better off getting one of those cheap SX strats and upgrading from there like LP Addict suggested? Or will the Basswood body that I'm using now be fine?

The SX sounds like a solid deal; however, I've heard some complaints about the fretwork ... but since you're considering a new neck, it may be worthwhile.

I'm suspecting your PUs are responsible for the weak/thin tone since Basswood is warmer than Alder. If you have spare/better PUs, experiment. Your amp is nice and though Basswood is inexpensive, it has a pretty solid rep.

Only you can determine how far you should go with the $$$ ... if you want a player, then it shouldn't matter how much the parts upgrades cost, within reason.

strats are typically made out of alder, or ash. if you reall want to buy a guitar for hot-rodding, i recommend an SX strat, or a higher end squier, maybe even a MIM strat. nice body wood, theonly problem is those fender and squier strats have terrible setups. very lazy with frettting and playability, because, hell, its a fender, people will buy it anyways.

i get alot of brand new fender MIM stratsin my shp for fret dressing and stuff. the SX ones are nice if you buy the more expensive ones, even the cheap ones are decent. i recommend buying new tuners, a graphtech nut, maybe new bridge saddles or a new trem all together. the MIM strat that my room mate has is such ****. the fret wire is so cheap and it plays like hell,wont stay in tune at all either.
Last edited by LP Addict at Feb 23, 2008,
Quote by LP Addict
strats are typically made out of alder, or ash. if you reall want to buy a guitar for hot-rodding, i recommend an SX strat, or a higher end squier, maybe even a MIM strat. nice body wood, theonly problem is those fender and squier strats have terrible setups. very lazy with frettting and playability, because, hell, its a fender, people will buy it anyways.

How would one properly set up a neck if the work was sloppy? Without taking it to a professional I mean.
Quote by lemonsquares42
How would one properly set up a neck if the work was sloppy? Without taking it to a professional I mean.

a proper fret dress costs about 120. i charge 80-100 depending upon the frets, if they are stainlss steel i charge 200. it requies some expensive equipment. a crowning file, fret-end dressing file, a fret level file, etc. and various assortments of wet-dry sandpaper, and tape. and i use a permenant marker. its expensive stuff man. fret work is a good business to be good at, i make alot of money off it