Quote by AwesomeDrummer
ok so i hav a laptop which has a pretty ****ty soundcard.
if i buy an audio interface, does it matter if my soundcard is ****?

not if its USB or firewire i dont think
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Quote by COBHC6
not if its USB or firewire i dont think

You're right. The interface determines the recording quality.
The interface will perform the functions of a soundcard, bypassing your current one. And Cubase is indeed good software, but does have a steeper learning curve than Audacity.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
The interface will perform the functions of a soundcard, bypassing your current one. And Cubase is indeed good software, but does have a steeper learning curve than Audacity.

yeah so with the inputs, i wanna record guitar,bass,vocals and drums.
i was just gonna use the send/line out cords on the guitar/bass amps into the interface and microphones for the drums/vocals. will this hav enough inputs for that? i know it says 10 inputs but some of the inputs look a little different to normal ones... soz if this is a really dumb question (again)
Basically it looks likes it is four channel. So what you'll probably need to do is record the drums first, with four mics (I suggest 2 overheads, kick, snare) and then handle the rest of the instruments, either simultaneously or separately.
There is poetry in despair.