What kind of results would I get recording a full drumset with one condenser mic? I'm just wondering because me and my band are going to start recording soon and I only have 1 condensor mic at the moment. I MIGHT buy another mic for the bass drum, but that's unsure. Where should I put the condenser mic for the best results?
I'm a person.
It's Cardoid, meaning it'll mostly pick up sound in one direction.

It'll be a claustrophobic sound. I'd recommend getting two omnidirecitonal microphones like the Behringer B2 (keeping in mind your budget) and mounting those above the drums, then putting a dynamic for the kick. Your condenser could be by the toms.
It'll sound wrong,completely wrong, you'll place the condenser on the toms for example and it will pick up everything else as well because of it's sensitivity. The snare needs a dynamic mic, that's a fact, it has high frequencies and big attack so the condenser will peak even if you put the gain at 0.1.. Now, I believe that you may use the condenser for the overheads but it will pick up the toms and the snare and it'll be hard to mix it, well not hard, impossible..

Things that make lots of noise and have big attack need dynamic microphones
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
It's Cardoid, meaning it'll mostly pick up sound in one direction.

It'll be a claustrophobic sound. I'd recommend getting two omnidirecitonal microphones like the Behringer B2 (keeping in mind your budget) and mounting those above the drums, then putting a dynamic for the kick. Your condenser could be by the toms.

What's the diference between omnidirectional and dynamic?
I'm a person.
in music tech at college, we learned if you use a conderser mic to record drums it can damage them. that goes for anything noisy really like loud guitar amps.

basically, we were taught to use it for vocals, acoustic guitar.
Quote by PinkIsCool
What's the diference between omnidirectional and dynamic?

The omnidirectional picks up soundwaves from all directions it's used mostly for acoustical instruments and vocals. The dynamics have usually cardioid polar pattern and they are not sensitive and they are used for instruments that are loud, thats why all the bands use dynamic mics on stage the pick up waves from one direction and they are not sensitive so they don't create feedbacks.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by dannyyy
in music tech at college, we learned if you use a conderser mic to record drums it can damage them. that goes for anything noisy really like loud guitar amps.

basically, we were taught to use it for vocals, acoustic guitar.

That's not accurate. Most drum overheads are condensers, and many people mic up amps with condensers.
There is poetry in despair.
It's accurate if they are used for close micing drums. To get a good drum sound, you're probably going to want altleast 3 to 4 mics. 2 OH's and a kick, a snare mic if the money allows. Try 2 Samson C02's, a Shure Beta 52, and a Shure SM57. Have an ebay shopping spree.
Well my interface only has inputs for 2 mics..... what's my best bet with only 2 mics? Or is there any way to get more inputs somehow?

Edit: Should I get a mixer?

I'm also looking at this mic package.... should I go with it or get something better?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-DMK7-Drum-Mic-Package?sku=277246
I'm a person.
Last edited by PinkIsCool at Feb 24, 2008,
Nah, don't get that mic package, most packages like that are terrible(excluding the Shure SM package). If you want the best possible results with just two mics, get a pair of Shure SM81's or Rode NT5's. As for a mixer, it would be harder to make it sound good, but if you have the money for the mixer and the mics, then go for it.
Quote by llanafreak44
Nah, don't get that mic package, most packages like that are terrible(excluding the Shure SM package). If you want the best possible results with just two mics, get a pair of Shure SM81's or Rode NT5's. As for a mixer, it would be harder to make it sound good, but if you have the money for the mixer and the mics, then go for it.

Alright I think I'll go with the Shures (seems like a more reliable name). So would I have one for the overhad and one for the bass drum?

Holy **** $350? Is there aything cheaper that I could get?
I'm a person.
I use 4 mikes for drums.... A JTS dynamic for the kick (cant memba the model number to be exact, i think its a NX2) A Shure Sm57 for the snare, then a pair of those Behringer B2 condensers for overheads... I was actually suprised, the behringers are suprisingly satisfactory....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Ok so I think I'm going to go with one Behringer B-2 for the overhead and a shure SM57 for the kick... will this sound good or will the quality still be low?
I'm a person.
The quality will still be poor, yes. The 57 is not designed for kick, and the one overhead won't pick up a good mix of the drums as you would want it to. However, if this is all you have to work with, try it. You might be able to experiment with placement to get an adequate sound.
uuuh a few years back me and some buiddies were recording a few tracks we had witten, we went to the music store and lo and behold its $500 for a drum mic set, he told us the best alternative is to place 2 condensors or dynamics ten feet back and ten feet apart from the centre of the drum kit, that way all the sound is distributed evenly and the recording has ambience u wouldn't otherwise get, that is so long as the room has ok acoustics, if its tinny u can alwys edit it out with equlualizatin n what not... gl
Quote by PinkIsCool
Ok so I think I'm going to go with one Behringer B-2 for the overhead and a shure SM57 for the kick... will this sound good or will the quality still be low?

You buy the Behringer B2's in pairs.... There about $80 AUD from memory.... Buy a SM57 for the snare.. NOT THE KICK. This will sound terrible. Sm57 is about $130 AUD, and a half decent kick drum mike is usually about $130.... So for about $350 you have a preety decent set of mikes.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by sheumack111
You buy the Behringer B2's in pairs.... There about $80 AUD from memory.... Buy a SM57 for the snare.. NOT THE KICK. This will sound terrible. Sm57 is about $130 AUD, and a half decent kick drum mike is usually about $130.... So for about $350 you have a preety decent set of mikes.....

You mean I can ONLY buy B2's by pairs? What would I do with the extra one?

Can you reccommend me a decent kick mic? Also, do you think I would be better off with one mic on the snare and one overhead or one mic on the kcik and one overhead?
I'm a person.
Quote by PinkIsCool
You mean I can ONLY buy B2's by pairs? What would I do with the extra one?

Can you reccommend me a decent kick mic? Also, do you think I would be better off with one mic on the snare and one overhead or one mic on the kcik and one overhead?

You usually set up overheads in pairs, to achieve a stereo image of the drum kit.
Quote by fridge_raider
You usually set up overheads in pairs, to achieve a stereo image of the drum kit.

Well it's either two overheads or one overhead and one for the kick drum or snare because my interface only has two inputs.
I'm a person.
you could always try doing two takes, like one time with a mic on the bass and one on the snare, then do another one with two overheads and then put them together

it would be alot more complicated though and i dont know how it would turn out

if it was me, i'd probably use one overhead then a mic inbetween the bass and snare
Quote by dannyyy
you could always try doing two takes, like one time with a mic on the bass and one on the snare, then do another one with two overheads and then put them together

if it was me, i'd probably use one overhead then a mic inbetween the bass and snare

Ok that's kind of what I had in mind. Hopefully I can experiment and eventally get a decent sound. But tanks for the help everybody.
I'm a person.
Quote by dannyyy

And keep them perfectly in time ? Rather him than me.
Quote by PinkIsCool
Ok that's kind of what I had in mind. Hopefully I can experiment and eventally get a decent sound. But tanks for the help everybody.

Just buy overheads if you can't afford everything else.
Quote by llanafreak44
Just buy overheads if you can't afford everything else.

Exactly, finally someone who is listening to TS. He says he can't afford much, his interface only has two inputs, and yet all of you are suggesting 4 or 5 mic setups.

If having that many mics is out of your budget, just use a pair of overhead mics. A pair will sound MUCH better than one mic in that you will get a much more 3D sound than just one microphone. And the 990, being a large-diaphragm condenser mic, will tend to warm up the drums which might not make the best sound. I would look at a pair of 903 pencil mics if I were you. They are within your budget and they are small-diaphragm condenser microphones which produce a more even tonal response than the 990.

Good luck on your quest. PM me if you have any questions.
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
Quote by GuitarFreak664
Exactly, finally someone who is listening to TS. He says he can't afford much, his interface only has two inputs, and yet all of you are suggesting 4 or 5 mic setups.

If having that many mics is out of your budget, just use a pair of overhead mics. A pair will sound MUCH better than one mic in that you will get a much more 3D sound than just one microphone. And the 990, being a large-diaphragm condenser mic, will tend to warm up the drums which might not make the best sound. I would look at a pair of 903 pencil mics if I were you. They are within your budget and they are small-diaphragm condenser microphones which produce a more even tonal response than the 990.

Good luck on your quest. PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks a lot dude that was probrably the most helpful post in the whole thread. I'll look into those mics.
I'm a person.