I was wondering....

How would these pickups sound on basswood body guitars...

I was thinking about getting these pickups when I have enough money to put on my Ibanez RG2570e (neck and bridge positions).

My styles of music range from: Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Van Halen, Metallica, etc. (Alone those lines)
Ibanez RG2570e
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
I dont think it would work to well with metallica and Van Halen, Perhaps a breed in the bridge.
Quote by bgmaggot07
2570 + evos is pretty much a Jem.

Nope, the JEM with Evo's is alder, and the basswood JEM has Breeds.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Would the Breed pickups sound better for all those styles?
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
The Breed is probably more versatile, tbh I don't know.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I did some more research on the Breed pickups.

I think that they suit my style(s) a lot more.
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
If you only want to shred then Evo's are great, if you want to do anything else then you're much better off with Breeds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks guys, I'll probably pick up a pair of Breeds next time I have to change strings.

But, what would be a good single coil to match them?
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
Quote by DarK1332
Thanks guys, I'll probably pick up a pair of Breeds next time I have to change strings.

But, what would be a good single coil to match them?

That is a tough question. The popular answer has always been a Dimarzio Blue Velvet (well a True Velvet now that the Blue Velvet has been discontinues) but I tried this on my RG1570 between two Breeds and I hated it. It rendered the mid position useless because it was 1/3 the volume (and it sounded bad anyway) and the 2/4 positions only sounded good super clean. It just sounded too thin.

Also it depends if you're looking for a true single coil sound or not. If you are the FS-1 is a good choice.

I put a Pro Track in mine and I'm fairly happy with it. I did have to replace my switch though to make all positions hum-cancelling. The tone and volume are fairly even in every position which is nice too.

Otherwise you might want to look at a Fast Track 1 or a Chopper, or even the Virtual Solo.

Listen to the clips and check the tone charts on dimarzio's site and see what suits you the most.

And be sure to email either dimarzio or ibanez and find out if the switch in your guitar will work with a hum cancelling pickup or if it would need replacing.
what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actually had some evolutions on a jackson 7 string quite the unique sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what's your budget?

My budget for pickups ranges from about $200 - $250...It all depends how much they cost here in Ontario....

If they cost too much here, I probably will get them in the states (where they are cheaper) next time I go down there...
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
^ cool. the only problem i can forsee is that vai = highish output ceramic, metallica = high output ceramic, satch = medium output Alnico V, and VH = lowish output alnico(vintage hot).

there's going to be some compromise, in other words... you'd need to decide which of those tones you need the most...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 25, 2008,
Satch's pickups are alnico 5, i *though* Eddies was too but I could be wrong...the Breed is a pretty good "catch all" to cover all those styles fairly well though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 25, 2008,
eddies were indeed alnico V (or maybe IV, since they were pafs?)...

either way, i meant to write alnico there. Got my wires crossed (no pun intended) I think.

EDIT: i just realised I said satch's pickups were ceramic too. Not a good day. Thanks for the save, Mark.

EDIT #2: yeah, something along a breed is probably best bet. I know a swineshead warthog would be cool for that, as it's hot enough to cope with the heavier stuff if your amp is high-gain enough, while it's not so hot as to be unable to cope with VH etc. Of course, in the US, they aren't as good value and there are probably/possibly better-value options.

Lower-output ceramic might be worth considering too, but only if you only play a little VH and satch, i'd have said. It's generally easier to add gain than take it away.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Lower-output ceramic might be worth considering too, but only if you only play a little VH and satch, i'd have said. It's generally easier to add gain than take it away.

Yea.... I do play a lot of stuff like that....

EDIT: Oh, and about contacting Ibanez....Where can I find there e-mail?

By the way, I did send an email to DiMarzio asking them whether or not my switch needs to be replaced so all pickups can be hum-canceling.

I would like to contact both...
Ibanez RG2570e

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
Last edited by DarK1332 at Feb 25, 2008,
not too sure about ibanez... dimarzio should (could be wrong) have an email address on their website (perhaps ibanez too).

if you play a lot of satch and van halen, i'd stick to alnico V (probably) myself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?