Page 1 of 2
hey, ive been playing about a year or so, and ive learned everything myself, im not totally hopeless in the guitar world or anything, ive recieved compliments, and .. well whatever,
so i give free lessons now and then and ive only done it a few times and the people just wanted to learn a song, and quit when they didnt get when i was trying to tell them
itys not my fault though
so in one week im giving another lesson to this girl who i kinda.. ya knowwwwww:$ :P
and she sais she just wants to start at the basics and learn more
so i figured, since shes brand new ill show her the parts of a guitar (acoustic), tunings, strings, then im not really sure, im kinda stuck, i can do pretty much any chord just not off memory (all of them i know a bunch) and i dont really know any theory,

so, suggestions please?
mymsn_15@hotmail.com if you wouldnt mind cuz ive never even posted a thread before this :P
teach her the notes of the strings

and use:

Eat
A
Donut,
Get
Big
Ears

and then next week, give her a donut.
Quote by 6-string-yay
hey, ive been playing about a year or so, and ive learned everything myself, im not totally hopeless in the guitar world or anything, ive recieved compliments, and .. well whatever,
so i give free lessons now and then and ive only done it a few times and the people just wanted to learn a song, and quit when they didnt get when i was trying to tell them
itys not my fault though
so in one week im giving another lesson to this girl who i kinda.. ya knowwwwww:$ :P
and she sais she just wants to start at the basics and learn more
so i figured, since shes brand new ill show her the parts of a guitar (acoustic), tunings, strings, then im not really sure, im kinda stuck, i can do pretty much any chord just not off memory (all of them i know a bunch) and i dont really know any theory,

so, suggestions please?
mymsn_15@hotmail.com if you wouldnt mind cuz ive never even posted a thread before this :P

I had the exact same situation as you and it didn't turn out well for me (huge fight with the girl)

Teach her string names/bit of EXTREMELY basic theory and then a few chords, a scale or two and then a song she likes.
Quote by wrathofthenorse
teach her the notes of the strings

and use:

Eat
A
Donut,
Get
Big
Ears

and then next week, give her a donut.

hahaha nice ive never heard it like that
but, thats a pretty decent way to remember
thanks
Teach her Eat a Donut Get Big Ears, teach her pentatonic scale, what a power chord is, D A G C and F chords (real chords, not power chords.) Then when she messes up rape her.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Quote by XianXiuHong
I had the exact same situation as you and it didn't turn out well for me (huge fight with the girl)

Teach her string names/bit of EXTREMELY basic theory and then a few chords, a scale or two and then a song she likes.

ya, i really apreciate all your answers
but i dont know thoery, or what a scale is, im taking s music class in school next year and .. well im not really intrested in lessons cuz i think i should learn it my self but ill probly take them soon too

btw im 16 in gr 11
and so ya, thanks though good idea
to me it sounds like your not experienced enough to give a lesson,especially if you dont know what a scale is,try not giving the lesson so you dont embarras the crap out of yourself
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Quote by BrokenBricks
Teach her Eat a Donut Get Big Ears, teach her pentatonic scale, what a power chord is, D A G C and F chords (real chords, not power chords.) Then when she messes up rape her.

A big +1

Assert your male dominance by giving her a black eye when she f*cks up
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Teach her the string names (I suggest, Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie, always gets a laugh), explain to her the names of the notes in the chromatic scale and how each fret is a half step, etc. and then show her a C major scale and explain that she can make up her own stuff using any combination of notes in that scale. Then maybe teach her a simple one note at a time riff like Smoke on the Water.
Try not to show her chords on the first lesson, if she's never touched a stringed instrument before she won't sound good and may get discouraged.
you got soul, or so you say. hey, i say you don't!

Quote by Sol9989
Quote by lpcustom325
to me it sounds like your not experienced enough to give a lesson,especially if you dont know what a scale is,try not giving the lesson so you dont embarras the crap out of yourself

i cant really embarras myselg too badly, shes never even played before

and.. im not toally inexperienced
Quote by jxljxl
A big +1

Assert your male dominance by giving her a black eye when she f*cks up

hahahah
Quote by 6-string-yay
i cant really embarras myselg too badly, shes never even played before

and.. im not toally inexperienced

You can't give lessons if you don't know theory, end of.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Good scale to start out on-

|-o-|---|---|-o|
|-o-|---|---|-o|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|---|-o|

That is the MINOR PENTATONIC SCALE.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

Quote by Ichimaru
You can't give lessons if you don't know theory, end of.

Well actually, yeah you probably can.
If ur ears aint ringin...ur doin it wrong

To all the guys saying he shouldn't give lessons if he doesn't know theory, i REALLY doubt this girls going to actually start taking guitar seriously. She doesn't care about the pentatonic scale, she wants to know how to play 'you're beautiful' by james blunt. Or some random crap like that.
Find out if theres a simple 3/4 chord song she likes and teach her that

But also i think the TS should learn a bit of theory himself, it helps a mile for people who actually want to make something of guitar.

Quote by guitarist10

|-o-|---|---|-o|
|-o-|---|---|-o|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|---|-o|

Well actually, its the most commonly used shape in the pentatonic scale. When you do diagrams like that you should point on the root notes on them too btw.
Quote by guitarist10

|-o-|---|---|-o|
|-o-|---|---|-o|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|-o|---|
|-o-|---|---|-o|

thats just one fingering/position

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
Quote by guitarist10

Of course its physically possible, but my point was that you can't teach effectively without it. Theory is fundamental to guitar and a teacher should have at the very least, an intermediate level of theory knowledge.
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Help teach her a song she enjoys, don't listen about theory from what these other people are saying. Shes likely going to want to learn a song, if she begins to get interested in it then teach her more.

Btw, teaching a girl....lucky sob.

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

teach her the first 4 chords to house of the rising sun. thats real easy.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
Quote by guitarist10

You'll need to know at least some basic theory to give lessons. I tried giving lessons before I knew anything about theory, and it didn't go well.
Quote by StonaLemons
To all the guys saying he shouldn't give lessons if he doesn't know theory, i REALLY doubt this girls going to actually start taking guitar seriously. She doesn't care about the pentatonic scale, she wants to know how to play 'you're beautiful' by james blunt. Or some random crap like that.
Find out if theres a simple 3/4 chord song she likes and teach her that

But also i think the TS should learn a bit of theory himself, it helps a mile for people who actually want to make something of guitar.

Well actually, its the most commonly used shape in the pentatonic scale. When you do diagrams like that you should point on the root notes on them too btw.

ya thats what i mean like ill show her the parts of her guitar tunings all the **** show her dcfag and what ever i think of i have a bunch of stuff written down somewhere its not like im going to have to go toooo far into detail,
and i know i shouldnt be giving lessons but she asked so, why not it doesnt hurt to try and help
ill take lessons this year and music in school and who knows
ive given lessons before just not really like.. kinda serious just a few riffs strings and cords and that was it
dude teach her a simple song like back in black
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
teach her chord shapes all over fretboard... best thing you can do at first...

then work on very simple leads, and techiniques like alt picking, finger picking, hammer ons, pull offs, bends, slides, and vibrato...

then go advance...

if you dont know some of those techniques then you shouldnt be teaching... its even questionable that you teach without knowing theory...

and finally guitar will not get you poon tang...actual intelligent conversation, and getting to know the girl might.
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
k, i have a question
power cords
i know like what they are.. it think or atleas how to play them but when you play two open strings like lets say i was showing her smoke on the water, so d and a open, are tho power cords since there open

cuz the way i understand it is basically, the string or string below the top string are 2 frets higher so like, d 2-3-4
a 2-3-4 like.. uknow those, those r power cords , so , 2 open strings
e 0-1-2 are power cords or no?

btw .. iknow.. im duuuuuuumbbbbbbbbbb
Quote by 6-string-yay
ya, i really apreciate all your answers
but i dont know thoery, or what a scale is, im taking s music class in school next year and .. well im not really intrested in lessons cuz i think i should learn it my self but ill probly take them soon too

btw im 16 in gr 11
and so ya, thanks though good idea

To be honest you're not in a position to be teaching anyone - you simply don't know enough. You might be able to play stuff, but you don't know WHY you play it and that's the kind of thing you want from a teacher.

Playing and teaching are a world apart from each other.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
also a good sentence is

Even
After
Dinner
Giant
Boys
Eat

as she progresses show her just a 12 bar and you can let her try and solo in the minor pentatonic!

also give her random techniques for stretching practice and speed
G 11 11
D 10 10
A 8 9
E 7 7

you get what i mean...
Quote by 6-string-yay
k, i have a question
power cords
i know like what they are.. it think or atleas how to play them but when you play two open strings like lets say i was showing her smoke on the water, so d and a open, are tho power cords since there open

cuz the way i understand it is basically, the string or string below the top string are 2 frets higher so like, d 2-3-4
a 2-3-4 like.. uknow those, those r power cords , so , 2 open strings
e 0-1-2 are power cords or no?

btw .. iknow.. im duuuuuuumbbbbbbbbbb

facepalm.jpg

A|--2--|
E|--0--| This is an E5 power chord. As you can see, it consists of the root note E and the fifth (B).

D|-2-|
A|-2-| This is pretty much the same chord, only you're playing the octave instead of the root note.

And Smoke on the Water is played like this:
G|------3--5------3--6--5-----3--5---3---|
D|---5--3--5---5--3--6--5--5--3--5---3--5 |
A|---5---------5-----------5------------5|
E|----------------------------------------|

However, the reason most beginners learn it the other way as their first riff its because its piss easy.
Add!

Quote by marko'd

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Last edited by Ichimaru at Feb 28, 2008,
Teach her a basic rendition of Wild Thing or some other piss easy song to keep her interested. Otherwise she may lose interest and think guitar is just loads to boring chords and notes
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
I'm a relatively new, self-taught guitarist (coming up on two years this year) and started teaching someone last year. She'd never even picked up a guitar before so I told her to buy a copy of Guitar for Dummies (which I'd bought for myself when I started) and just started slowly taking her through from the beginning...made it easy to 'plan' lessons because we'd just go through a page or two at a time, learn a couple of chords, then as she learnt new ones I'd find her songs to learn that had those chords in it to keep it fun. She's not taking lessons anymore this year because she's in her last years of high school and needs to study, but she actually learnt a fair bit (and I offered to give them for free but ended up earning $25 an hour so I'm not complaining...). You have to know theory and stuff though...I've done piano for 16 years, music theory for 10 years and violin for 11 so I had a bit of a head start.
Quote by 6-string-yay
i changed the strings and tuned my ibanez floating tremelo in under 20 mins

Er... hi5?

If you don't know what a scale is, I don't think you should really teach anyone else serious about getting into guitar. Just teach the girl, if you're trying to get close to her by teaching her, go for it but you're most likely going to go from friend to extremely close friend but one she doesn't want to date/go out with because she's afraid of ruining the relationship.

Well that's what happened to me D=
Quote by XianXiuHong
Er... hi5?

If you don't know what a scale is, I don't think you should really teach anyone else serious about getting into guitar. Just teach the girl, if you're trying to get close to her by teaching her, go for it but you're most likely going to go from friend to extremely close friend but one she doesn't want to date/go out with because she's afraid of ruining the relationship.

Well that's what happened to me D=

i dont really care wether we start dating or not
i dont really care if she never talks to me again she asked me to show her how to play i can atleast start her off":P
Quote by melbournian
I'm a relatively new, self-taught guitarist (coming up on two years this year) and started teaching someone last year. She'd never even picked up a guitar before so I told her to buy a copy of Guitar for Dummies (which I'd bought for myself when I started) and just started slowly taking her through from the beginning...made it easy to 'plan' lessons because we'd just go through a page or two at a time, learn a couple of chords, then as she learnt new ones I'd find her songs to learn that had those chords in it to keep it fun. She's not taking lessons anymore this year because she's in her last years of high school and needs to study, but she actually learnt a fair bit (and I offered to give them for free but ended up earning $25 an hour so I'm not complaining...). You have to know theory and stuff though...I've done piano for 16 years, music theory for 10 years and violin for 11 so I had a bit of a head start.

hahah just a bit of a head start ther bud :P
and really? guitar for dummys? has some theory in it? or it helps atleast?
Quote by Flying Afros
teach her house of the rising sun. thats real easy.

Fixed.
EDIT: So this isn't a Pit-standard post ...

Teach her a basic pentatonic scale, and Smoke On The Water.
R E G G A E
Last edited by TheDarkestNights at Mar 1, 2008,
Page 1 of 2