this is kind of a weird question, but i know you guys will know the answer:

This may seem obvious, but it seems like for different types of music, bands with two guitarists play different things. For instance Slash and Izzy of GNR play different guitar harmonies and parts than Dave Grohl and Chris Shifflet of the Foo Fighters.
Do you guys know any specific techniques for different genres? like hypothetically are metal guitar harmonies based in thirds or are pop harmonies/etc based in octaves?
also, any other tips for establishing dual guitar harmonies/riffs/etc. would be greatly appreciated--my band just added a rhythem guitarist.
Thanks!
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
It just depends on what you work out.How you write the song.
There is no specific harmony for genres of music.
Analyse songs where the guitarists do the sort of thing that you want to do.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I guess you could say that certain groups or genres might tend to use a certain type of harmony. A metal band is probably more likely to use thirds than a rock n' roll band; they'd probably use fifths, and fourths. Also I would say that a metal band is more likely to have both guitarists play the same rhythm with different notes whereas a rock n' roll band would probably have their rhythm guitarist play something... well rhythmic. Something that would lay a foundation for the chord changes, and then the lead guitarist would play something that fits on top of that. Of course like the other guy said there is no offical harmony style for a genre.
No...ideally you would write two completely different but harmonizing guitar parts...usually rhythm plays the usual chord progression, lead puts something special on top.

But that's stating the obvious. I know it's overused, but stuff like the Eagles and Dragonforce (...), and basically all orchestral/chamber music, both instruments usually play over same progression, same key, same bass notes. Put two together, see how it works.
If you want to get a good feel for how to use multiple guitars, look at either Judas Priest or Thin Lizzy. Maiden works too.
IF you wanna know how to use multiple guitars listen to Boston they harmonize their solos all the time. its mostly in 3rds and 5ths

go listen to

Feelin' satisfied
Peace of mind
More than a feeling

They all have double guitars parts in their solos.

he has layers of guitars sometimes more than 4 playin at the same time
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
All That Remains also does a lot of harmonizing. Check them out if you're into that genre. It really depends as said, and on top of that, the laws of music are not set in stone, just do whatever sounds good and is relevant to the song.
YES i no exactly this, i have an incredible guitar teacher, one of the greatist in the us probably (i'm not exageratting) he's really good friends with oz, and has jammed with many great musicians. his teacher also taught kirk hammet, and evh. anyway what he teachers is music theory and guitar. he has played in over 50 bands, and is incredible, (his website is www.24frets.com and his name is kevin wyer.) back to ur question. at the begginging of each lesson he has a piece of paper with like graphs so he can write tabs for me to practice and at the top is i think 12 different (styles, genres,) its hard to explain but anyway so the names are

ionian
dorian
phrygian
lydian
mixolydian
aeolian
locrian

each style is a scale, and if you play it you get a different sound like (classic rock, jazz, blues,sad,kind of sad, metal, country, ect.) try to look them up and stuff, but yes if each one is played it sounds exaclty like what i said blues, country, metal, ect