Ok I just bought a used ESP LTD MH50 and I am getting quite frustrated with the floyd.

I am a beginner to guitar (About 1 year) and the floyd just made things more complicated.

I have plenty questions but why is it that when I turn the tuning pegs at the headstock the guitars tune doesnt change.
This is my main concern right now.

Thanks More questions later.
Because the nut has locks on it. Use the allen head that came with your guitar to loosen it. Also if the nut is locked, there are fine tuners on the bridge itself you can use to tune easier.
you have to remove the locks at the nut with an allen. theyre locking tuners so that you dont go out of tune when using the tremelo system.
for major adjustments use what is said above but for minor adjustments use the small tuners on the FR trem
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
If you're more of a visual learner you could look up a video on youtube about floyd roses. I've seen one on there about changing the strings that was fairly helpful.
Last edited by Eggness at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by wrathofthenorse
you have to remove the locks at the nut with an allen. theyre locking tuners so that you dont go out of tune when using the tremelo system.

Well, don't actually remove them, you just need to loosen them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Cool thanks now I am wondering wbout the springs in the back.

Here is a picture:

Do I need to add another string? Because when I use the tremello bar all the strings get extremely loose. And I know its not supposed to be that loose.
You might need to add another spring. You should probably try to add more tension to the ones on there now if you haven't already. Just tighten the screws at the top.
it looks normal
if you dive, you are releasing the tension from the strings, thats why the strings feel loose
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Well in my old stratocaster The strings were never this loose. Here is an example:

Thanks everyone has been really helpful.
Woah.That's really really loose.
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by mattscar
Well in my old stratocaster The strings were never this loose. Here is an example:

Thanks everyone has been really helpful.

If you're dropping the bar ALL the way down, dive bombing as much as you can then thats normal. Welcome to using a Floyd Rose type trem You could add a 3rd spring and loosen the 2 screws a bit on the claw to level out the bridge again if you feel like the bridge is too loose. If you're not sure what I'm talking about its best to take it to a tech and have him show you, its easy once you see it done. I just think you're confused and not exactly sure how a Floyd works so you think theres something wrong but in reality its fine
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^ Yeah I am a real rookie in the Floyd. Its a lot more complex than I expected. Or maybe I am just a retard.

Thanks man I appreciate it I am gonna ask ask a tech tommorow or research some more.
Quote by mattscar
^ Yeah I am a real rookie in the Floyd. Its a lot more complex than I expected. Or maybe I am just a retard.

Thanks man I appreciate it I am gonna ask ask a tech tommorow or research some more.

This video will give you a really good idea on how to change strings
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wwNVjNohOt4
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Broken-pick
Woah.That's really really loose.

?

That's completely normal for a Floyd - they have a lot more range than a standard strat trem so you can decrease the tension by a lot more....how do you think you make motorbike noises?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com