Brace yourself for any dumb questions. I'm kind of an idiot at customizing guitars. You know, a noob. I got a telecaster Classic Deluxe for Christmas, and I'm switching out the pickups. The deluxe comes with two humbuckers, and that's where my problem stems from. I'm going to put a humbucker in the bridge, but I'd love to put a single coil in the neck. Considering that there is a humbucker there now, can I do this? How would I go about doing, if there are any problems? I'm pretty sure there are screws on the sides of my pickups holding them in, and someone said that if I just made sure the single coil screwed into the guitar on the sides, I could put it in no problem. Is this true, and is there anything I need to know about putting a single coil in place of a humbucker? I'm not worried about the looks. If wires were somehow showing, i wouldn't really mind too much. And obviously, I know there'll be extra space, so I don't care about that. No problem withthe customized look. As long as I don't have to do anything dumb to keep it there, like use tape or something. Which, I'm pretty sure would be a bad idea anyway.

Just a noob lost in the dark. Any help would be appreciated.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
uh, it wont fit right

but im sure theres single coils out there meant to fill in the space of a humbucker
it won't fit neck-bridge direction wise, or side-to-side-of-the-body wise?

Or both?
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
theres a brace you can get, but they're really ugly, and unless its a black or something, then it's going to look really bad.
They make 'em, at least Gibson do. Link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-P94R-Humbucker-Sized-P90-Neck-Pickup?sku=306914

Or you could get a normal humbucker and coil tap/split it. I always forget the proper term, but that would work nicely.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by Wanna l3
it won't fit neck-bridge direction wise, or side-to-side-of-the-body wise?

Or both?

its the same size widthwise, just half as thick, anyways its gonna look really ugly

mayb just get a pickup that u can coiltap (i only have a vague idea of what that is)
I know i'll get laughed at when people see my guitar, But if it will stay in there with the width, and just leave some space, I'm fine. Something about the sound of single coils just isn't the same as coil-split humbuckers. Or maybe it's just that I've got a single coil in mind that I like better than other humbuckers when they're split. Not sure. But hey, I'm getting an amp before I'm getting pickups, so I've got time to keep looking. Just planning ahead.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep looking at other pickups, and I'll also check up on those brace things. Can't hurt to look, right?
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
Single Coil sound in a HB package ...
(Click the pics to take the links.)

P-90:

Strat:
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
New PG perhaps?
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Thanks about the p-90, I'll give that a go.

Regaring pimpedoutsqire- I would get a new pickguard, but the tele classic deluxe has a different pickguard than any other tele. Thanks, though, still.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
instal a coil tap
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by ohspyro89
Why not get a new pickgaurd, like a normal Tele gaurd. That would work... unless your bridge doesn't go around the bridge pickup. If that's the case, go to guitar fetish and get a new pick gaurd, and a bridge that will cover the humbucker in the back, they have them.
Here's why:

Any other tele pickguard won't come close to working.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks for all the input, guys. I really like the sound of Duncan's STR-1, so it all depends on what the p-90 sounds like. How much does it generally cost to have pickups installed? I think I might put a coil tap on the bridge pickup for versatility, too. And also, it isn't generally a no-no to mix pickup brands, is it? The questions just keep comin.
Quote by metallicafan616
what is hair metal?

Fail.
i have that guitar, and it won't work, not even humbuckers, cus the pickups are specialy designed for that guitar.
when my bridge pickup died( i dunno how, it just did, i bought it used) i was gonna buy some other pickups because that particular pickup was gonna take 2 months to come in, but the guy at the guitar shop said it wouldn't work. so i hve to wait til march.
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.