Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know when Gibson is planning to actually produce the production model Robots? I have the 1st run but the guitar is so incredible I don't even want to take it out of the box and was looking to just buy a second that isn't a limited issue.
Why in gods name would you want a second? Id laugh if they were worth anything in the future, the electronics will fry and render the thing useless...
seriously...whats so hard about tuning it yourself, it takes like 10 seconds.
Quote by JustinT80

It's for people who use multiple tunings often enough to make switching guitars or retuning the guitar over and over a total hassle. Especially when playing live. You can even program new tunings into it that it'll memorize. It's actually REALLY useful, especially for stuff like Sonic Youth, or for playing lots of slide stuff and wanting different open tunings.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by JustinT80
You can't dick around for even just ten seconds tuning your guitar on a stage.

I wish people would understand this. The 'Robot' guitar isn't meant for bedroom heroes to save themselves a few seconds. It's for people playing live who need to quickly, perfectly and efficiently switch between multiple tunings (or possibly re-tune), without having to **** off the stage, transport and army of guitars with them, or piss the crowd off tuning through the PA system.
I want to try one of those so bad. Is all the technology in the bridge? Or is it something wired through the whole guitar?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by bokuho
You can't dick around for even just ten seconds tuning your guitar on a stage.

I wish people would understand this. The 'Robot' guitar isn't meant for bedroom heroes to save themselves a few seconds. It's for people playing live who need to quickly, perfectly and efficiently switch between multiple tunings (or possibly re-tune), without having to **** off the stage, transport and army of guitars with them, or piss the crowd off tuning through the PA system.

+1
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Originally Posted by MoleMania
...but i can't stand the colour!!

I like the colour.

I think this tuning-system is helpful of course but not really necessary...
Gibson Robot, for the guitarist with more money than sense in my opinion. I see the kind of target they are aiming for, the guys that have pedal boards the size of a draw-bridge. It's a great idea, but novel at best I think. It's a convience as opposed to an advance, Gibson were really never innovative. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll take off and in 20 years it'll be standard on a knock off strat copy.
^ +1
SX Stratocaster
Fina Acoustic
J&D Telecaster
Yamaha ERB 300 (Bass)

Digitech Bad Monkey
VisualSound H2O
Ibanez TL5
Boss DS-1
Vox V847

Kustom Dart 10FX
Laney RB1
I think it's a cool feature. I wouldn't mind having one

over here, it costs just as much as a standard too, which make it even better
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by CorduroyEW
I want to try one of those so bad. Is all the technology in the bridge? Or is it something wired through the whole guitar?

i believe there is a transducer in the bridge for measuring the frequency of each string, a processor in the body to calculate the adjustments required, and then a wireless transmitter to the tuning posts which have a small electric motor in each one to adjust the string tension.

sounds to me like there is potential for a lot to go wrong there, but maybe i'm one of lifes pessimists.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by ray555
Gibson Robot, for the guitarist with more money than sense in my opinion. I see the kind of target they are aiming for, the guys that have pedal boards the size of a draw-bridge. It's a great idea, but novel at best I think. It's a convience as opposed to an advance, Gibson were really never innovative. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe it'll take off and in 20 years it'll be standard on a knock off strat copy.

Im going to have to dissagree. I think the humbucking pickup was a rather good idea. Not to mention the Tune-O-Matic bridge and Stopbar tailpeice which are pretty much industry standards.
Sig What?
I don't have a pedalboard the size of a bridge, but I play a lot of slide in open tunings, and if the price comes down a bit and they offer a different finish, I'm buying one.
You simply don't have the TIME to tune to different open tunings on stage (E, A, G), and I have no desire to lug around 3 guitars just for playing slide.
Excluding live playing as bokuho has given, the Robot seems as useful as LED inlays.
... Which incidently are also pretty darn helpful when playing live!

When I'm touring the world playing sold-out stadiums to 70,000 people every night, I'm going to get a Gibson made with the HD.6-X Pro Digital's outputs, the Robot's self-tuning, LED fret lights in the shape of the number of each fret, on-board modelling, and the Epiphone Ulta-II's NanoMag acoustic pickup and blending controls. It'll have true coil taps on three pickups, a floyd rose bridge, a Wizard profile neck, the strings will be replaced by laser sensors, it will have anti-gravity thrusters in the bottom to float so I don't have to actually hold it, every note produced by the guitar will brain-wash all the men in the crowd to give me their wallets and all the women to sleep with me, and I'll be able to change the colour of the finish at will with my mind.

One day, it'll happen.
Musicians have been tuning guitars themselves for ages...both on stage and off. We've managed to get along without a "Robot" guitar long enough to be able to accomplish these things without one. Maybe if we just perfect our skills at tuning and efficiency...we wouldn't have a use for these. It's a pain in the ass to tune everything...correct, however, how long is it going to be before they start making guitars that play themselves? Just a point that in all this hussle about robot guitars...soon enough...they'll begin to make even more robotic operated guitars...guitars that eventually will have other features like changing pickup configurations themselves.... Now that we've begun this new era in guitars...it's just going to get worse....welcome to the 21st century.

And if you don't believe me...just look at "Guitar Hero". They're encouraging people to not actually learn the instrument....but just sit there and play with a cheap plastic guitar. (Sorry if I offend any guitar heros out there....but it is pretty ridiculous and pointless===I do enjoy watching little teenagers making complete asses of themselves in public with those fisher price axes though) It's starting to become very commercialized....

But I'm sure the fun has just begun....I wonder what else they'll think of in 5, 10, 20 years time? Maybe they'll replace musical instruments altogether.....they already started with "AIR GUITAR" competitions on TV.
2006 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 10 Top w/birds
1999 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 10 Top w/ birds
Marshall JCM900 Half Stack
Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Boss RC-2, AC-2, FZ-3, TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by voodoochildsr22 at Feb 25, 2008,
Quote by JakdOnCrack
voodoochildsr22@total elitist pessimist.

Say what you want but it's true...no matter how you look at it dude.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by voodoochildsr22

But I'm sure the fun has just begun....I wonder what else they'll think of in 5, 10, 20 years time? Maybe they'll replace musical instruments altogether.....they already started with "AIR GUITAR" competitions on MTV.

fixed...

but i disagree with your point... judging by your statement why do we even need pedals?? if the first guitarist manage without them why cant we?
Quote by just17n8
fixed...

but i disagree with your point... judging by your statement why do we even need pedals?? if the first guitarist manage without them why cant we?

Ok...well if you're going to ask that question...if the first guitarists used acoustics...why do we need electrics?

You're completely missing the point. This is about ROBOTIC technology...technology which does pretty much everything for you instead of you getting off your lazy ass and doing it yourself.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
There have been international air championships for years. That's nothing new.

And Guitar Hero is just for fun. Nobody, anywhere, pretends that it's replacing actual guitar playing.

Christ dude, lighten up.
Quote by bokuho
There have been international air championships for years. That's nothing new.

And Guitar Hero is just for fun. Nobody, anywhere, pretends that it's replacing actual guitar playing.

Christ dude, lighten up.

Actually, I've seen kids walk to their local convenient stores with a plastic fisher price guitar hero guitars strapped around their back....I think that's where we should all draw the line on this whole Guitar Hero deal.

But hey...if you'd rather sit in front of your TV and MIMIC guitar playing...rather than actually learning something that will benefit you...go right ahead...no one is stopping you. You're just stunting your own growth there bud.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
It's funny how everyone gangs up on me the minute I say something bad about Guitar Hero and Robot Guitars. Have you all been brainwashed too?

The idea of a Robot Guitar is an innovative idea...I have to admit. However, it will just lead to more debate and technicalities than anything. Look at laptop computers....now it's all about who can make the thinnest, lightest one. Eventually, it will be a competition with Robotic technology on guitars. You really want to stay away from all that....it'll brainwash you...much like it already has here on UG. =) Enjoy!
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Joe Perry of Aerosmith plays Guitar Hero. Think about that for a second.

And spending time playing a game (be it Guitar Hero or any other) isn't going to 'stunt your growth'. Nobody, absolutely nobody, is going to dedicate every single hour of their day to just one activity (playing guitar or anything else). You're not going to suddenly become a malco spas who can't even hold a pick just because you played a game for forty minutes.

I mean christ. Photography is my main thing, it's my career and it's what gets most of my time - but I still have enough time to practise guitar, rack up a pretty good (if I do say so myself) collection of guitars, and play gigs regularly. It is possible to do more than one thing in your life, you know.
Quote by jimzer
+2

+3,000,000,000,000,000,000
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
the tronical system does have its uses, the ability to switch tunings is what its all about

maybe when im richer, and play more different tuning, tho id probably just mess around with it lol
Quote by bokuho
Joe Perry of Aerosmith plays Guitar Hero. Think about that for a second.

And spending time playing a game (be it Guitar Hero or any other) isn't going to 'stunt your growth'. Nobody, absolutely nobody, is going to dedicate every single hour of their day to just one activity (playing guitar or anything else). You're not going to suddenly become a malco spas who can't even hold a pick just because you played a game for forty minutes.

I mean christ. Photography is my main thing, it's my career and it's what gets most of my time - but I still have enough time to practise guitar, rack up a pretty good (if I do say so myself) collection of guitars, and play gigs regularly. It is possible to do more than one thing in your life, you know.

Joe Perry is a very accomplished musician...he's probably one of the best players out there. I understand your point but it really has no grounds here.

Look, think about it. I said "stunt your growth" meaning while you're sitting at home playing guitar hero...you could be learning a new trade or fixing something broken...or whatever you'd like to do. Those are PRODUCTIVE things...things that help you learn along your life path.

You have no grounds in saying that it isn't possible for people to play guitar hero almost every minute of the day. I've seen kids play it for hours after hours. The guys from the local Game shop...sit there and play it...while they should be working. They're on the clock but do they help and assist you in finding a game you want? Or maybe you'd like to find a good movie for your wife? Nope, the people who work there just sit there and play it while you're waiting in line. And when they're not playing it...they're bosting about what level they got up to and how hard that next "solo" is going to be.

Please dude...no grounds at all.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Again, just tune the guitar yourself. If you're worried about your "fans" getting angry about you tuning while you're in the middle of a set...then they obviously shouldn't be watching if they have no patience.

Just wait....Robot pickup switches, Robot frets, Robot pickups, Robot strings are all on there way....maybe even robots playing these Robot Guitars???? Hmmm....
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
A robot playing a guitar would be so wrong, but soo cool!
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson Uber-Robot Guitar!

It now plays guitar for you, so you don't have to!
/CENTER]
Quote by voodoochildsr22
You have no grounds in saying that it isn't possible for people to play guitar hero almost every minute of the day.
This is all i need to respond too - because it shows you didn't read my post at all. I never even mentioned the idea of playing the game all day.

Come back when you've learnt how to read properly.

Quote by voodoochildsr22
Again, just tune the guitar yourself. If you're worried about your "fans" getting angry about you tuning while you're in the middle of a set...then they obviously shouldn't be watching if they have no patience.
if people have paid £60~ for a ticket (which many bands do charge nowadays), they don't want to have to sit there listening to your tortured strings being tuned, even if it's only for a few seconds.

The Robot guitar can do this for you silently so you don't have to inflict the noise on your fans, and do all six strings at once to save more time as well. You could get on stage and switch from full step down D tuning to open G within a matter of seconds, and your crowd would be none the wiser.

If you can't see the huge advantage of this, then you shouldn't be playing gigs at all.
Actually...you did mention about playing every minute of the day. You said nobody is going to dedicate all their time into playing a game. I know plenty of people who play it religiously. You want an example...why don't you come over here to the states and see what that game has done to the majority of teenagers.

I NEVER said it wasn't a good idea...I said it was interesting...I said it was innovative but it will just lead to more problems. Maybe you're the one who should learn to read when you're debating. You have maybe 1 total point in this whole debate about using the guitar. I have many points....

Hey, don't blame me when, in 10 years, you're playing next to a robot, slapping him a high 5 for playing such an amazing set by not even lifting a finger to play.
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
BBE Sonic Maximizer
I was talking about regular guitar, not the game. Which once again means your entire response is invalidated within the first sentence.

Jesus! Again, please, stop arguing when you're not even reading properly!
Page 1 of 2