Finally started with the jackson style superstrat. I finally got the curved neckplate, so I finally can start. Grabbed my trusty rasp and had at her tonight. I used a coping saw to cut the corner of the heel to make it rounded, and then went to the heel shaping part.

82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Feb 24, 2008,
Interestingly enough, when I fit the neck into the pocket to see what I thought; there was that pesky hard corner of the back of the neck heel that extends out well beyond the pocket that was in the way of a nice smooth transition from body heel to neck heel.

Back to the rasp! This is about 2/3 of the way there.

After sanding.

and the fit.

82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
The body's basswood with some nice flame veneer on the top, but the veneer they put over the back to cover the 3 pc body lines has to go. I got some 1/8" maple veneer that I'm going to use for a headstock overlay and back laminate.

I'm going to try to keep the cutouts from the control/trem cavity routes on the back piece to use as covers, and make the whole back one uninterrupted pice of flame maple; other than the lines from the cutouts.

I'll just have to make it into 2 ply plywood with some less desirable pieces underneath glued cross grained for strength. it should produce an intersting look with the covers being slightly raised but having matching grain to the whole back.

Here's the current candidate for the back. It's nice wood, and the little dark line near the center(brown grain blemish) will be right on the seam of the trem route, so it'll disappear once the cover gets cut out.

82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Feb 24, 2008,
Thanks! It'll be natural with gloss nitro on the body, and headstock overlay. Tung oil for the back of the neck. All black hardware. Working out the details in photoshop for my logo also.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Quote by LP Addict
looks nice, whered you get the top for that body?

It came that way. I got it from an ebay seller. (both the body and the neck) Body's great, neck I got 70 bucks back on the hundred the neck cost because the high and low e tuner holes are 2 mm out of alignment. No good replacemaent either (looooong story)and it's the only bound jackson style neck with 24 frets I could find that wasn't black or compound radius or say jackson on it.

Lucky I'm able to plug the holes with 7/8 dowel and redrill once the overlay's done. It's actually good because it's still a really nice neck and it only cost me $30.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Like my last build(strat in profile) I''ve gone to town on what started out as a reasonably round neck profile and made it a bit faster(thinner) and gave a slight relief groove on the thumb side of the neck profile for extra comfort. No before and after pics for this but here's the general profile I did yesterday.

I started off by block sanding straight down the middle until there was a flat spot about 2/3" wide and then hand sanded the resulting ridges back to round with a little more attention to the top(thumb) side.

I owe this to my best friend's 57 esquire that has this effect from 51 years of playing wear. Awesome feel. Simply awesome. Speaking of which; I better go and play some strat.

More pics to follow.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
lookin good dude
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Well, I got back to it today. Here's a pic of the headstock overlay piece I'll be using.

I made a template of the back by laying down enough paper to cover, and doing it brass rubbing style with a pencil.

I was going to wait till the weekend and use my friends Dad's scroll saw to cut the rough outline, but instead I made my own bastardised scrolling table setup. There's no waiting for me when I'm in "git er dunn" mode. Hopefully by the weekend I'll have it ready to shoot lacquer on it.

Just worried about possibly cracking the wood while cutting. This proved to work just fine for supporting the wood while cutting.

82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Feb 27, 2008,
Here's most of the way around the outline.

And the final cut:

It's roughly 2 mm outside the actual body outline, and with no router at my disposal; I'll be filing and sanding it down to actual size before I glue.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Back of body as it sits right now, and then with the new piece laid down on it.

82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Now here's the real tricky part for me and my lack of proper tools. I'm separating the route covers from the piece, and the only way I can figure to do it successfully is to exacto-knife my way through it until it falls out. No real other choice in the matter.

Slow...slow....and freakin' slow. Hope it's worth the hand cramps and the monotony.

Unfortunately this isn't the paper thin variety veneer like what's on the top. 1/8" rough cut doesn't get a hell of a lot thinner even after ridiculous amounts of sanding.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Feb 27, 2008,
Here's the latest progress. I've been busy doing other things so it's been a half hour at a time, but The back piece is done.

Ready for the glue sometime this week anyway. I ordered the dremel router base kit from Stew mac which should hopefully be in this week, which I'll use a corner round bit around the outer edge once it's glued. It comes with an adjustable edge jig which I'm looking forward to using.

Finally I can see the cans of nitro on the horizon.

I love the smell of nitrocellulose lacquer in the morning. It smells like...... victory!

(or at least lightheadedness)
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Mar 17, 2008,
Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't recommend doing this like I did. If I had decided to get the router setup before I started, I would have just cut it out with a really small downcut spiral bit. I must have spent 3 1/2 hours over the last couple of weeks cutting these S.O.B.'s out of that hunk of maple. Hence the slowdown. It's not much fun dong that in your spare time.

The main thing is I got through it, and I don't have to do it anymore...
No matter really though; I'm learning more and more from lots of research as I go along. Bastardizing still works out of necessity.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Dremel_rotary_tools,_attachments/2/Precision_Router_Base.html
82 Ibanez artist ar105
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Last edited by Guitarminator at Mar 17, 2008,
updates
jackson dk2 2008