I am pretty much stuck between these three amps:

- Peavey Classic 30/50

- Traynor YCV Blue Series

- Traynor YCS Series

I'd be playing a wide variety of classic rock, alternative, etc... no metal or anything overly heavy. I play stuff like Hendrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers, SRV, Weezer, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, U2, Guns 'N' Roses, etc...

Can anyone offer any opinions, comparisons or shortcomings of these amps that might help me make a decision? Opinions on which has a better clean? Better dirty channel? I have not heard the YVC Blue or YCS amps as no one around here has any in stock, but they seem to be praised as a Marshall sounding gain, as are the Peaveys.

PS - If I got a Peavey, I would be getting the tube guard, and tube tamer.

Also.... is the Peavey Classic 20 all it's cracked up to be? I have a chance to pick on up for about $280 in excellent condition. Good deal? Is the tone worth the lack of versatility (only one channel)?

Thanks!!
I'd get the YCV50 Blue.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Quote by cj223

Also.... is the Peavey Classic 20 all it's cracked up to be? I have a chance to pick on up for about $280 in excellent condition. Good deal? Is the tone worth the lack of versatility (only one channel)?

Thanks!!

Yes. It'll appreciate in value too (it's discontinued).
Plus, you can just use an OD to push it more.
You just won't be able to play stuff with alot of preamp gain.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
What tonal advantages would the C20 have over the C30? Besides being a good find...

Can it get a nice 'clean' clean?

edit:

I just thought of something very important. I will be using a strat neck pickup a lot, so the amp will have to be VERY compatible and sound great with single coils.
Last edited by cj223 at Feb 24, 2008,
Were there any changes with the new generation Classic 50 and 30? Any advantage the old ones have over the new ones or vice versa?
The classic 20 will have very similar tone to the 30's.
The 20 will get a more "natural" overdrive at a lower volume than a 30 and 50,
Peavey classics have always sounded great with single coils.
And the new generation peavey classic 30 and 50s are very identical. Except the 30 has a kinda weird volume and mid boost button. And the OLD classics, I believe weren't all tube. I may be wrong.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
YCS has very nice...everything. The overdrive channel takes some time to dial in, but when you get it right, it sounds fantastic. Plus, its either 20 or 50watts.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
acutally its switchable AB 50 watts to A 15 watts.
hello cowgirl in the sand....
G&L legacy, schecter blackjack
keeley tube screamer
ron sound hairpie classic
That's a decent deal on a good amp with the Classic 20, you just have to make sure it has enough power to do what you want to do. It's unlikely that you'd have much clean headroom with it in a band situation.

Otherwise, you're looking at the right amps. You're not going to go too far wrong with either the Peavey or the Traynor. I'd throw the Peavey Delta Blues into the mix, too. I like it better than the Classic series. The Peavey's are great jack of all trades amps, but I think the voices on the Traynor YCV Blue have more diversity. I'd probably lean that way.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by darkarbiter7
The classic 20 will have very similar tone to the 30's.
The 20 will get a more "natural" overdrive at a lower volume than a 30 and 50,
Peavey classics have always sounded great with single coils.
And the new generation peavey classic 30 and 50s are very identical. Except the 30 has a kinda weird volume and mid boost button. And the OLD classics, I believe weren't all tube. I may be wrong.

Mine's a 1994 model, and they were only out for 3 years at the time. It's all tube.

EDIT: Although there isn't a tube rectifier or effects loop, but I don't think those are necessary for an amp to be "all tube" per se.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by cj223
Were there any changes with the new generation Classic 50 and 30? Any advantage the old ones have over the new ones or vice versa?

as long as you get a 1990s one or new they are all the same. The new styled classic 30s come with tube gaurds already installed.
I have a Classic 20 and it gets pretty loud especially with the boost button pressed in. I got mine for a great price, free. (Father-in-law gave it to me) $280 is a good price for these, they are being more and more sought after lately and Peavey doesn't make them any more. The Classic 20 is probably loud enough by itself for small gigs, or you could connect it to a cab and then it would definitely be loud enough. It will do a decent clean if you work with the volume control, but I haven't been able to get mine to sound totally crystal clear clean. I also can't get a high gain metal sound out of it. But where it excels is a dirty/crunchy tone for blues and classic rock type stuff. It sounds really, really good for that type of music and IMO it has a British feel to the tone. You have to crank it a bit to hear how good these sound. There is no channel switching or footswitch jack on the Classic 20, although alot of people don't need or want that functionality.

A guy I play with every week has a Classic 30, a Fender Blue's Jr., and some other amps. The Classic 30 is just a more powerful version of the 20 with more wattage, a 12" instead of 10" speaker, reverb, and footswitchable channels.