Page 1 of 2
do actually people use the frets 23 or 24? it seems a little high..and what are the differences between a neck that has 22 frets and one that has 24?

will the 2 frets really affect the guitar a lot? my first guess that the one with 24 frets should be longer?
Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom uses the 24th fret sometimes, and the extra 2 frets complete the 2 octaves on a guitar instead of stopping one note short.

I like the looks of a 24 fret guitar, looks more even to me. Lacking those two extra frets won't hurt you that badly, just when you come across a really high song, you'd need a 24 fret guitar
You can always bend your highest string to reach that 24th! So no disadvantage ?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Yamaha Acoustic

Amps:
Peavey Transtube Bandit 112

Effects:
DigiTech rp350 (For Sale)
BOSS RC-20 XL Loop Station
BOSS GT-10

Rock on!
Quote by bizzle06
You can always bend your highest string to reach that 24th! So no disadvantage ?

But will it be in the correct pitch? And playing a sequence of notes from the 24th fret down

E.G.

24-22-20-18-16

as opposed to

b22-22-20-18-16

The first one would sound cleaner/better.
Every fret on the guitar is based around the 12th fret, which is exactly in the middle between the bridge and nut. As long as the guitar is the same scale length, the frets will always be in the same places and be the same length. Some people think that having 24 frets makes the frets upto 22 easier to reach, but some people think that the neck pickup sounds worse if there is 24 frets. It is all opinion really.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
Also take into account that some songs bend past the 24th fret.

Example: second solo in Hangar 18.

Personally I prefer having all 24 frets.
Gear:
Fender Standard HSS Strat w/ Tone Zone bridge
ESP Ltd EC-1k Black cherry
Carvin DC127 blackburst with Bareknuckle Warpigs
Peavey 6505+
I'm haing to get creative bace for the love of god features a full step bend on the 24th, and I've only got 22 frets. I both like and dislike not haveing 24 frets, as it limits me, but at the same time, I like for a guitar to be missing something from it.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
lol well i wouldn't worry about it.. I mean Satriani uses 22 frets! Malmsteen uses 21! and they are both shredders
Last edited by striker327 at Feb 24, 2008,
yeah...fender guitars have 22 frets...ok,but its kind of a pity i won't be able to play for the love of god...beautiful song..
^ hey why not put your own spin on it by bending it up to that note and adding vibrato
Quote by XianXiuHong
It's still good to have those extra 2 frets JUST in case you need them and songs with dropped tuning may want the two frets for an extra zing in their playing/solos

I play two whole steps down sometimes, my 24th fret sees a little bit of action
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

nah,theres a note that needs a bend at the 24th fret...i can't possibly do that with 22 frets...
^That's why you just make it an EPIC bend...problem solved.
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

I always use my 22nd fret.
I just go on a cycle where I do scales through different keys and always end up landing on that one at the end. I use it in songs and when I'm practicing. It gets you used to the difference in fret size if you play nearer the top and bottom.
Theres no real disadvantage of having fewer frets, it just simply means you can't get as high as others may but its not really a very common place to play.
I would say that really, the 21, 22, 24 fret thing is probably the last thing you really should think about when getting a guitar, unless you constantly play in the 21-24 range or have an obsession with always using a neck pick-up located where the 24 fret would be.

The most major difference is that 24 fret guitars have a tendency to have better upper fret access. It is just a side effect of the fact that guitars made with 24 frets tend to have the idea of playing in the upper register more in mind. It isn't a universal, but it is fairly consistent.
Well after trying to play Necrophagist, I now realise i nedd 24 frets.
I like having 24 frets simply because it feels more complete, having a full two octaves per string.
It's all up to preference, don't try and tell me that I need 24 frets, I manage just fine with 21. But if you want 24, I don't care.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by NoobOnZone
nah,theres a note that needs a bend at the 24th fret...i can't possibly do that with 22 frets...

Try bending the 22nd fret a full tone so it hits the 24th fret pitch, then while holding the note with your left hand, put your right hand behind the 22nd fret, and pull the string even higher. Can get a bit more high pitched.
the neck pickup at the 24th fret thing is crap too.

what happens when you fret?
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I don't often use the 23rd and 24th frets; but I have to say that whenever I am on a 21/22 fret guitar, I suddenly start needing them If you play any kind of fast wanky soloage it's a better bet to have them.
It makes sense to my brain to have 24 frets. E to E is the way to go. I do prefer the neck pup tone on a Gibson type guitar with 22 though.
the disadvantage of having fewer frets = You can play less notes
Some people think it's better to have the neck pickup positioned exactly where the 24th fret would be.
Quote by Boz0r
Some people think it's better to have the neck pickup positioned exactly where the 24th fret would be.

why though? what's special about having it there?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

It is right at the 24th fret harmonic, something like that. I mostly use the bridge pick-up, so I've never really been too bothered about whether it is a huge difference or not.
The 24th fret makes it easier to access lower 'high' frets. I have had difficulties reaching frets 21~ on my friend's 22 fret guitar because there wasn't much of space for my hand there.
But that is the highest fret I've ever played and it's only in one song.
Last edited by hminh87 at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by Lemoninfluence

It's often right under the harmonic node so that when you play an open note you don't hear the harmonic two octaves up.
There's none,
24 frets or even 28 if you're M.A.B. is purely for showing off...
If Malmsteen needed more than 21 frets we would have known.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
no disadvantage. I like both 22 and 24 fret guitars but I definitely prefer 22 frets. They just feel more natural to me
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by smb
It's often right under the harmonic node so that when you play an open note you don't hear the harmonic two octaves up.

yes exactly. it only has an effect on open strings. so why they make such a big deal out of it I don't know.

Quote by element4433
I don't really understand why there are 21 fret guitar because there is usually enough space to put another fret it and you are only 1 fret away from playing in the B pentatonic
Quote by Lemoninfluence
yes exactly. it only has an effect on open strings. so why they make such a big deal out of it I don't know.

Well it doesn't only affect open strings - the 12th, 7th, 5th and 19th frets all have a prominent harmonic node there
It all comes down to preference. I've only played one or two songs that actually require the 24th fret ("For the Love of God" was one, as mentioned before), but I do touch upon it now and then while improvising and such.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Page 1 of 2