i've played since i was 4, and i want to teach now. im 16. a friend of mine the same age teaches drums andhe's played since he was in year 2 and he teaches.
im in Australia if that helps.
you can get a teaching degree at university but it's never essential
i don't think you need much, but you've got more chance of being chosen if you've got more qualifications
Rockin' shit
so theres not a legal thing saying i can't work there? if they see im good with people and a good guitarist then they'll at least consider me?
Teach where? Who's they? What are you talking about? All you need to do is put an ad in the paper or on the internet. You don't need any qualifications.
I just started teaching at a music shop, ive been teaching privatly out of my home for about a year. Im just starting to do Bach. Music Bach. Edu at UNSW, so really if you wanted to teach at a store your going to have to prove to them you want to teach by gaining entry to uni, or a tafe cert 4 or something i guess... Do you just want to teach out of your home?
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
well im planning on doing a course like that when i finish school, im in year 12 now, but i could do them from home right? and could i work for a shop and teach with no qualifications?
I am a teacher.
You can do informal lessons, cash in hand sort of thing, from your house, around the person's house, etc. Word of mouth will get out and if you're any good, your pupils will spread the word that you're good and you'll get more customers. Also playing in bands, get your name known too, that will help.
But if you want to do it for a career, you'll need some qualifications. A bloke here on staff teaches music all day long to kids up to 18, has also done it at college level. He got there by knowing his stuff, gigging a lot, giving lots of lessons, knowing his stuff thoroughly, not just a few flash licks. He has taken a degree course so now he is a qualified teacher and teach at schools, as well as suppplementing by some private tuition.
i think you're looking at a long road either way. Try it out first, see if you like it or are any good at it. Me, I'm a good teacher and a good guitarist but I am not a good guitar teacher- dont ask me why (maybe because I was totally self-taught, beats me)- so try it and see if its you.
ok cool. i was just looking for some cash on the side because its a big year in school and its hard to juggle work, school and rugby. so something where i can give a few lessons a weeks would be great. how much would a lesson like going to someones house or them coming to mine cost? regular going rate?
Quote by fretsonfire74
well im planning on doing a course like that when i finish school, im in year 12 now, but i could do them from home right? and could i work for a shop and teach with no qualifications?

Ok i see your from sydney correct???
Are you doing HSC music??? If yes what level??

Id personally recomend teaching from home till you finish your HSC and then take your results around to music shops and stuff... That way you can tell them you have experience teaching and some form of qualification, and if you gain admission into a UNI its even better, another thing to add to your folio... Where are you thinking of studying??
Quote by sheumack111
Ok i see your from sydney correct???
Are you doing HSC music??? If yes what level??

Id personally recomend teaching from home till you finish your HSC and then take your results around to music shops and stuff... That way you can tell them you have experience teaching and some form of qualification, and if you gain admission into a UNI its even better, another thing to add to your folio... Where are you thinking of studying??

yeah thats what im planning on doing.
i went to a discovery day at uni of wollongong and got a sampler of the music composition and production, and decided that thats what i want to do. so i'm planning on doing that. we were told that basically, no matter how good you can play an instrument, you can make it into the course if you're passionate, which i am, and want to show it. so i busk and i wan't do this.
Quote by fretsonfire74
yeah thats what im planning on doing.
i went to a discovery day at uni of wollongong and got a sampler of the music composition and production, and decided that thats what i want to do. so i'm planning on doing that. we were told that basically, no matter how good you can play an instrument, you can make it into the course if you're passionate, which i am, and want to show it. so i busk and i wan't do this.

Yeah well thats probably best bet.... For rates I charge $15 half hour (students come to my house), the store i teach charges 24/half hour and I get $16 but its a 20 min drive....
Quote by sheumack111
Yeah well thats probably best bet.... For rates I charge $15 half hour (students come to my house), the store i teach charges 24/half hour and I get $16 but its a 20 min drive....

oh ok, so its a good wage for someone my age. thanks alot for the help. i love the musician talk forum for how polite people are. and yes, im doing HSC music.
yeah just teavh informally. you are technically start people off with the basics. i just don't think you'd be allowed to grade people. but youcan teach beginners. i got friends who teach total beginners and than just send them onto proper tutors after a certain period of time
dude if you just give lessons from your house i dont think there are any qualifications...except...you need to know how to play
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.