hI!

I play lots of varieties of metal and a wanted to know what the best tuning would be for reallY heavy guitar parts.

cheers, blackcross

oh and also please can you tel me the notes of each string for that tuning
Drop C(CGCFAD) is perfect for me. Anything less than a low B is just overkill.
B standard - B, F#, B, E, G#, C# - as used by Mick Thompson of Slipknot
C# standard - C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#
D standard - D, G, C, F, A, D
Drop C - C, G, C, F, A, D - as used by Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom
Half a step down - D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D# - as used by Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman of Slayer
I prefer Eb. Anything lower than C, go play a bloody bass. Even C is just lame.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
I like Drop C, there's just...something about it
or Drop A# (In Flames ftw!)
Bought for a few pennies
Now you're all just empty
Fucking soulless machines
RIP YOU APART!!!

-All Shall Perish

Quote by Calgar24
B standard - B, F#, B, E, G#, C# - as used by Mick Thompson of Slipknot
C# standard - C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#
D standard - D, G, C, F, A, D
Drop C - C, G, C, F, A, D - as used by Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom
Half a step down - D#, G#, C#, F#, A#, D# - as used by Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman of Slayer

its drop b
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Don't forget Metallica and Megadeth both use standard tuning most of the time. Tune down if you know how to use dropped tunings properly, but otherwise its not really worth it, and you'll end up sounding just as generic as about 90% of modern metal.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Well Chuck Schuldiner (Death) only used D Standard and some consider him the father of Death Metal...
any tuning is good for metal. it's all down to preferances.

I prefer the low B on my 7. sometimes drop A# to play some In Flames
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Standard (E), half-step down (Eb) and full step down (D) should be all you need (arguably Drop-D too, but personally I think it's better to just tune the full step down, allowing you to keep playing as normal but with the added depth of the low D). If you start getting more obscure than that, you have to be good enough and creative enough to actually justify using a more obscure tuning - most people use lower or weirder tunings just for the sake of it, and doing that is just obnoxious. Personally, I occasionally also use Double-Drop-D (DADGBd) or Open G and Open E tunings, but not for metal anyway.

Leave the really low stuff to the bass player. A good bass player will cut through and sound better than you would tuning way down.
I'm guessing you're quite new? If so, I'd stick with E standard and drop-D. You'll learn all the basics of playing in a "standard" and a "drop" tuning with them, meaning that you can concentrate on building up your technique rather than playing around with tunings.

Loads of metal bands - especially the less extreme ones - use these tunings anyway. Metallica, Trivium, Maiden, BFMV, etc, etc.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
If it would be ok if i put up a question here aswell.
In the song "Go into the water" by Dethklok, the tuning is C F Bb Eb G C. What is that really and how do you do it? It says low C but isn't that different?
Quote by PsychoJeams
If it would be ok if i put up a question here aswell.
In the song "Go into the water" by Dethklok, the tuning is C F Bb Eb G C. What is that really and how do you do it? It says low C but isn't that different?

It's C standard, four semitones down from standard.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
E Standard
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Standard. Listen to Opeth. 1000% heavier than anything you could think of.
Sig What?
Check the dates before you post!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!