I plan on doing this guitar up (a behringher Iaxe) and i had a few questions.

This guitar has a computer plug in, can i still install new pickups because of this.

If so which pickups should i buy ? as i am wanting a metal / classic rock sound.

How much does it cost to get a pickup installed. I'm guessing less than a soldering iron.

Are there any other things i should mod on this guitar i.e install strap locks ?

Thank you for reading
Last edited by josh999x at Feb 24, 2008,
I think it would be more than a soldering iron. I don't know a lot about pickups but i hear SD Hotrails are good or you could contact CorduroyEW or go on www.rockmonkeyguitars.com and he'll custom wire you some depending what you want. I'm not about the compatability of the pickups though, being an iAxe
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Yeah i don't really care about it working with the computer i just want a good sound from it.
Yeah go with Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, i have no idea how that guitar is wired cuz of the pc hookup so can u post pics of what the inside looks like?
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by josh999x
I plan on doing this guitar up (a behringher Iaxe) and i had a few questions.

How much does it cost to get a pickup installed. I'm guessing less than a soldering iron.

Are there any other things i should mod on this guitar i.e install strap locks ?

Thank you for reading

Your profile says you're a "Full Time Nerd"; so, unless it's inaccurate and assuming you have opposable thumbs, common to primates, you should be able to de-solder and solder PUs and the volume and tone pots of your Iaxe after an hour of practice with RadioShack's $15 soldering kit. Do this instead of paying whatever to a guitar tech and you would have a new skill.

I'm not sure if your guitar has a decent bridge; if not, upgrade with a Wilkinson bridge with the beefy tremolo block:
I hope you can tell me if i can install pickups. i think i can as it does have a separate jack from the computer socket.
If your not fussed about being able to plug it into a computer, disconnect it and re-wire it as a normal guitar. Just makes it simpler as i have no idea how guitars compatible with computers are wired.
Just go on www.seymourduncan.com/support for wiring diagrams, and follow them
Practice a bit of soldering first, so you don't burn any pots out or anything

Just look around for pickups, look through other threads, you'll find what you want.
^ Ippon, great post.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't install pickups as normal - if the guitar was USB-only there might be problems with ipedence or similar but as far as I know the computer side of things is just a small converter inside the guitar body, after the analogue bit and where the jack would be. Considering the meagre cost of the Iaxe I can't see Behringer using special custom pickups, so it's probably wired the same as any other strat clone. For the actual soldering and whatnot there's tons of online tutorials, so figure it out for yourself.

As for pickups I find the Hot Rails a little flat and lifeless -if you really want a mini-bucker try the JB Junior or Duckbucker, orstick to singles and get a SD Quarterpounder (which sounds a little more 'vintage' but has more than enough power for heavy rock). Bare Knuckles are my fave p/ups but would likely cost more than the guitar itself, so stick to the more popular models...
Good luck
What you could do is... just cut the leads about a few inches from the pickups and before all the fussy crap and tie in the new pickups at that point.

Soldering and insulating all connections, of course.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
there shouldn't be a problem as long as the new pups are close to the resistance of the old ones.all analogue signal is changed into digital by the circuit and chip at the usb jack, so just get some single coils close to the resistance of the stock pups.check them with a multimeter
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Josh, you need to get on board with forum procedures.
Stuff like this, just won't cut it:

time: 9:33 EST
Quote by josh999x
Here are some pictures of the wiring for you.
*oversized pics omitted*

time: 9:35 EST
Quote by josh999x
I hope you can tell me if i can install pickups. i think i can as it does have a separate jack from the computer socket.

time: 10:27 EST
Quote by josh999x
Come on guys i need some help here.

time: 11:35 EST
Quote by josh999x
bump -.-

Double posting should be avoided, when possible.
Triple posting is a reportable offense,
but often permitted in tutorials, and when there are appropriate reasons.
Quaduple posting, like you did, simply isn't done.
If a Mod sees this, your thread will surely be closed.
Do this habitually, and you can expect a warning/ban as a result.

Multiple posting, begging for help makes your thread look bad.
And nothing is accomplished by doing it.
This is a forum, not a chat room.
GB&C moves more slowly than other forums like EG or GG&A.
Your thread barely moved from near the top of the index, anyway.

Your pics are too big.
That make it a pain to view this thread.
Your pics are in photobucket. You can easily correct this.
Go to your photobucket account and click on the "Edit" line
above each of the pics you've used in this thread.
Then click "resize" and select "message board" size.
Your pics will be resized, appropriate to this page.
You're done! You won't need to edit the links, or anything.

I'll be back to visit this thread tomorrow.
If you straighten out the issues with the pics,
I'll read the text, and see if I can offer any worthwhile advice.
If not, I'll report the thread and ask that it be closed.

Cheers,
SYK

Quote by Ippon
Your profile says you're a "Full Time Nerd"; so, unless it's inaccurate and assuming you have opposable thumbs, common to primates, you should be able to ...

Witty opening to an informative post. I love it!
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.