i have an idea for a computer program which trains you at guitar. Graphically it will look similar to guitar hero but you a play via a real guitar and micrphone connected to your pc. It will read standard text file tabs and play them for you to play along to, informing you whether you hit the correct notes at the correct time.

What do you guys think of this?
Isn't it just like guitar pro but a little more interactive? It sounds sort of similar in the respect that you can "play" a tab, but your program will notify you (like guitar hero) if you hit the right note/chord. It would be sort of hard, unless you have a USB interface of some kind to convert the signal to digital so the computer can analyze it. Also, I imagine that unless the note was perfectly in tune there would be some kind of error. It's a good idea, but there's a lot of work to do with it. Also, make a bass version (I'm a bassist)
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
a friend of mine and I were discussing this.... it would be EXPENSIVE first of all and second of all people who used it would get the same benefits from playing along with a song except they wouldn't be training their ear AT ALL, which is a big problem IMO...
been done, forgot what its called, theres a thing that converts standard jack to usb and also a mic version i think.
That might not work well for beginners since I know that when I was a beginner, I had to look at my fingers when I played.
Quote by Lamont

i once dreamt my wallet was on a helicopter and i chased after it. and eventually i pulled my dick out and lassoed the bottom of the copter and pulled it out of the sky. i woke up screaming
Been done twice iirc. But it's definitely been done at least once, they're just finishing it apparently.
yeah i've seen this guitar rising. the advantage mine has is that because can edit/create their own tunes from tab text files, guitar rising seems to have a static list of predefined songs like guitar hero does.
It would be sort of hard, unless you have a USB interface of some kind to convert the signal to digital so the computer can analyze it. Also, I imagine that unless the note was perfectly in tune there would be some kind of error.
I have created some demo apps which eliviate all these problems. The input would be from microphone, so obviously people would have to have a microphone. The guitar does need to be in tune, but not exactly. There is leeway. Also it doesn't need to be expensive. $20 would be a likely price.
Quote by dave2k2k
yeah i've seen this guitar rising. the advantage mine has is that because can edit/create their own tunes from tab text files, guitar rising seems to have a static list of predefined songs like guitar hero does.

they'll probably make additional software to do that
hard luck, patent your ideas while they're fresh
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
Quote by joeymaxx
Check the Electric Guitar forum, there was a thread about this yesterday.
EDIT:

Guitar Rising, that's the one.

no silly, Judas is Rising.
When all else fails, ask the pit.