Page 1 of 2

Now it is possible to see a movie of an electron. The movie shows how an electron rides on a light wave after just having been pulled away from an atom. This is the first time an electron has ever been filmed, and the results are presented in the latest issue of Physical Review Letters.

Previously it has been impossible to photograph electrons since their extremely high velocities have produced blurry pictures. In order to capture these rapid events, extremely short flashes of light are necessary, but such flashes were not previously available. With the use of a newly developed technology for generating short pulses from intense laser light, so-called attosecond pulses, scientists at the Lund University Faculty of Engineering in Sweden have managed to capture the electron motion for the first time.

source: http://www.physorg.com/news122897584.html

So yeah, that provides a stunning three seconds of film. Well, technically not film, it shows the energy distribution of the electron. You know, that tiny little thing, smaller than everything else you can imagine. I thought I'd let you guys know.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Is Morgan Freeman in this movie?
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Simply because I could breed the pokemon, and act out my sick sexual fantasies between Dittos and Chanseys.

Quote by bequickorbedead
She had sex..with my...AIDS?
Quote by moodster

No, but Samuel L Jackson is

Edit: I think I'm going to sig you.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Last edited by CFH82 at Feb 24, 2008,
I'm pretty sure an electron has been photographed for moving pictures before - when I was at uni I got to see an experiment with an x-ray laser that was able to take pictures of an electron moving around an atom.
Quote by GiantRaven
If he isn't i'm not watching it

If he doesnt at least have a voice over then its not a real movie
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Simply because I could breed the pokemon, and act out my sick sexual fantasies between Dittos and Chanseys.

Quote by bequickorbedead
She had sex..with my...AIDS?
*faps*
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
That's pretty sick.

Although I agree with everyone else...Morgan Freeman would have made it a lot better.
The.
Nice.

Think I'll ask Peter about this on Tuesday. I love hearing nerdy teachers getting all excited about such small things. (That are huge to them.)
Quote by Tw1zzler
How big of a break through is this?

Its about as big a discovery as discovering lint in your belly button.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by Kensai
*faps*

I was waiting for Kensai's inevitable *fap* post
ohai little sig.
yaay go sweden!

....geek country
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
I watched that. I saw a blue fuzzy thing fuzz for 3 seconds. I don't have the right to say I'm amazed, sorry. (But I know I should be)
Impressive. And I agree with Deliriumbassist. I've been studying atomic structure, the interactions of electrons in the atom/molecule and the photoelectric effect, in Chemistry, and this might be a big breakthrough. My knowledge is limited, though.

P.S.: Some of the vocabulary in this post might be wrong, as I'm not studying this subject in the English language.
Last edited by Whiskky at Feb 24, 2008,
I can't get my head quite round this, where do we go on from here now that we can see electrons?!
Wait, all it showed was an energy distribution, they didnt actually see an electron because the Heisenburg uncertainty principle prevents you from seeing it. We can only see the effects of it. This is not that big of a breakthrough. When I watch it all I see is a radial energy distrirbution for an electron.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by pix_dement
yaay go sweden!

....geek country

Yup and whats America's biggest concern right now? If Roger Clemens shot up his a** with HGH.

Mhmm, some people need to sort out their prioties.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by moodster

of course he is, he's in every movie
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by dantheguitarist
Oh, I thought it said erection before I looked over it...

me too, which makes me wonder why I clicked on it, and Why I'm so disappointed now...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
F*ck.

This could well be one of the biggest breakthroughs in atomical sciences. Think about what could be acheived now they can actually "see" the electron.

This is exactly what I'm thinking right now.
that's cool,so cool it inspired me to make it into a .gif
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
Quote by MartiniKiss7
that's cool,so cool it inspired me to make it into a .gif

I just stared at that for like a minute and a half, that's trippy.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
F*ck.

This could well be one of the biggest breakthroughs in atomical sciences. Think about what could be acheived now they can actually "see" the electron.

I'm thinking about it.

So... Like what?
lol you should have known that most people here wont even care. still think its cool tho

lol sigged ^
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Last edited by zbest at Feb 24, 2008,
Quote by nightraven
i call making the avatar out of that gif!

too late
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
I thought that wasnt possible, what with hiesenburgs (sp) uncertainty principle

oh well, this is cool anyway
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
What am I meant to be seeing? How do those rings resemble an electron?

That said this is a giant leap.
Isn't it ironic that we can "see" an electron, but not an atom, which is many times larger? *nerdychemistrystudentchuckle*
Page 1 of 2